• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the issue of Alcohol Sales and OC

the wheeelman

imported post

I just wanted clarification on the legality of carrying in a place of business the

A) Sells liquor as a primary sale (liquor store, bar) - ILLEGAL

B) Restaurant that has a separate bar - ?

C) Restaurant with no bar but alcoholic drinks - ?

D) Alcoholic beverages non-primary sale - ?

99vengeur

imported post

Open carry in all those places is prohibited. However, it seems like concealed carry in a restaurant is ok, as long as you remain away from the bar and refrain from drinking any alcohol.

99vengeur

imported post

Walmart is ok. Maybe it is just when there is a separate location for the alcohol sales. There are a few Walmarts where the alcohol is sold from a room isolated from the rest of the store, that I imagine would be prohibited.

I'm not entirely certain on this, because LA law is ambiguous at times.

FLMason

imported post

[align=left]Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class AGeneral[/align]

[align=left]retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the[/align]

[align=left]Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the[/align]
premises.

This would include any restaurant that serves alcohol at there dining tables, Apple B's etc

LA VIC

imported post

Class A General permits are for establishments that primarily sell alcohol such as bars. Most restaurants have food sales that as a percentage of total sales allow them to serve alcohol and have a Class A R permit. Not the same thing and concealed carry is legal. Some establishments may have both permits and you'd be restricted from the bar area. Check what's hanging on the wall on your next trip to your favorite restaurant. Class A R is O.K.

LA VIC

imported post

Oh BTW I forgot one thing. Holders of Class A General permits are prohibited from allowing persons under the age of 18 from entering. There are a few unique exceptions in the law but not really relevant to the question. Basically if you can sit down and eat a meal and have a beer while your kids are at the table it can't be a Class A General permitted area of the restaurant. If someone disagrees and can find statutes to supporta different stanceplease post it. My position is derivedfrom the Louisiana statutes describing the various alcohol permits and their requirements. The red coloring of Louisiana on the map related to alcohol in restaurants is kinda misleading.