• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk, VA: Danladi Moore prevails in trumped up "tresspass for open carrying&amp

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Time to get a new slogan on the sides of that hat....

Black Man With a City! and Black Man With a Bus!

Take them to the cleaners.:celebrate:celebrate

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Gordie wrote:
TheNv. chapter of the ACLU actually made a press release in favor of the 2A.
Did the NV ACLU Chapter survive?

The SC Chapter has been de-certified and replaced by The South Carolina National Office of the ACLU. The chapter's registered IP now retrieves

http://www.aclusc.org/
American Civil Liberties Union of South Carolina
[line]
The website for the ACLU of South Carolina is no longer at this location. The

American Civil Liberties Union is providing for a new website for the ACLU in South Carolina.

Within fifteen seconds, your browser should be redirected to the ACLU national website for information directing you to the location of the new website as soon as it is available.
And tries to redirect to http://www.aclu.org/affiliates/southcarolina.html

To condemn the ACLU as anti-2A is as ignorant as damning the NRA as pro-2A.

Repeater

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Let's set the distinction:

A Sheriff is a Constitutional officer elected by the people. Va. Const. Art. VII, § 4. In England the country was divided up into shires and hence the name Staffordshire (Stafford County), Yorkshire etc. The shire which we know as a county was used as a means to enroll those able-bodied men into the militia (to repel against invasions and insurrections). The head officer of the shire was a lieutenant colonel. The officers of the court of the shire (Used to enforce the writs of the court and to keep his majesty's peace ) were called the Shirereive which later took the name Sheriff.

The police on the other hand are unelected mercenaries historically hired by the Executive branch to enforce their political will. See District of Columbia v. Heller, "That history showed that the way tyrants had eliminated a militia consisting of all the able-bodied men was not by banning the militia but simply by taking away the people’s arms, enabling a select militia or standing army to suppress political opponents."

The City of Norfolk detests the natural right of its citizens to keep and bear arms so they use the Police to suppress their "political opponents."

Have you ever noticed that some counties in Virginia don't have police forces only sheriffs? That Norfolk was a loyalist town during the Revolution and was used a base of operations by Royal Governor Lord Dunmore to try to get back his office after fleeing to a Man o' War in 1775 after getting kicked out by Patrick Henry. And it is no coincidence that the first police force created in Virginia in 1797 was by the city of Norfolk.
As the Virginia Supreme Court notes:

It is the chief duty of a policeman to execute the laws of the commonwealth, both for the punishment and prevention of crime; indeed, his most important powers and duties are executive. But, if his functions be regarded as chiefly ministerial, he comes within the reason, letter, and meaning of the statute, which makes it a felony to offer a bribe to any executive officer of the commonwealth to influence his act; for, as already said, public officers whose duties are ministerial are included under the head of “executive officers.” It cannot be supposed that the Legislature intended that the crime denounced by section 3744 of the Code, could be committed with impunity by those executive officers whose duties may be defined as being chiefly or entirely ministerial. Such a construction would exclude from the operation of the statute a large number of the public officers of the commonwealth.
Haynes v. Commonwealth, 104 Va. 854, 52 S.E. 358, 359 (Va. 1905).

sccrref

imported post

Mike wrote:
<SNIP>Fox said the city can't appeal the decision, but added the city will continue to aid private businesses "in enforcing policies they determine to be necessary and appropriate to the safe and efficient operation of their premises."<SNIP>

Wouldn't it be strange for the city Police forceto enforce the laws of the city and state vice the policies of private businesses in the city. I must be a dolt in expecting Norfolk LEOs to perform their sworn duties. I do not have a cite but I would bet a few dollars that they swear an oath to uphold and enforce the laws of Virginia and Norfolk vice the policies of Norfolk businesses..... Oh wait, Norfolk has bet huge on this and I hope that they pay Dan big time for their error.

Congrats on the win Dan.

4armed Architect

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Rosa Parks only took a bus seat... Where's the NAACP/ACLU 'n the rest of the civil rights advocates on this? Strangely silent... on an actual 'RIGHT' not open to interpretation. 'Shall not be infringed! Where are they? Where?

Danladi IS a civil rights movement! He is a hero to the 2A Civil Rights movement. Thanks Danladi.

Sproggy

imported post

Just to be clear, My opinion in no way reflects that of The Norfolk Police Department, Nor doI speakon behalf ofthe Department itself.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sproggy wrote:
"Brilliant analysis, unfortunately you will need to dumb it down so cops can understand it

1) You are a law enforcement officer NOT the law.

or
2) Look you Nazi bastard"

Awefully ignorant comment.....

You wont be so quick to paint all Police Officers with the same brush when the time comes for YOU to call for help.

We would need to call them a lot less if we were all armed. Plus have you read the supreme court decesion that Police are not there for our protection? http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html

You took his comment out of context unless you are in the city he was talking about and work for the city and are in favor of the idiots who did this to Danbus ( or maybe are one of the idiots who did this to danbus).

Way to go Danladi!!!!!!!!! I hope this judges decision sets a good precedent for judges across our nation.Hope you folks in Virginia re-elect this judge over and over again.

ScottyT

imported post

Congratulations Dan!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

It is always good to see the good guys win one every now and again.

I think if I were in your shoes I would go for broke in the court of public opinion by giving a well-publicized percentage of your forthcoming million-dollar settlement to a worthy local charity! (after expenses and a new gun, of course)

Congrats again!

gzelmiami

imported post

Most excellent Mr. Moore. I pray that the FREEDOM wave reaches the shores of the state of Florida. Although we started the movement of CCW back in the 80's, we need to allow open carry to protect our law-abiding citizens to be able to defend themselves from the lawless thugs who don't follow the laws.

Sproggy

imported post

Just to be clear, My opinion in no way reflects that of The Norfolk Police Department, Nor doI speakon behalf ofthe Department itself.

Tex

imported post

Derogatory comments should only be taken as such by those to whom they apply. If you are not one of Neo- Nazis, then by all means disregard that comment, because it doesn't apply to you. You will find that almost to the last member here, a lot of who are LEO's, we are all fans of law enforcement, It's when those officers BREAK the law to kiss ass with their leftist superiors, that we hold their feet to the fire, and expect justice to prevail.:celebrate

Bubba Ron

imported post

Welcome to OCDO Sporggy, and thank you for identifying yourself!!!

That was a very poor choice of words, and many of our regulars have also expressed that. One of my problems is that this last "arrest" of Dan seems to have been set up from the start. Dan did post on this site that after the Norfolk City Council meeting, he was going to Hooters at Waterside - and many others went as well. When Dan was stopped, there were at least two others with him - and one was a white guy who was also open carrying, and not a thing was done to him. I don't understand that. Why didn't both of them get charged? This is very troubling, and starts citizens thinking that we can no longer trust the police - this is certainly not the way I was brought up, and is very bad for all involved. No one wants an "Us verses Them" attitude, we are law abiding citizens, and we would help any citizen - including LEO's - if we were in the position to do so.

Again, welcome to OCDO - I hope you decide to stay and add your perspective and knowledge to the site.

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sproggy wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Sproggy wrote:
"Brilliant analysis, unfortunately you will need to dumb it down so cops can understand it

or

You wont be so quick to paint all Police Officers with the same brush when the time comes for YOU to call for help.
We would need to call them a lot less if we were all armed. Plus have you read the supreme court decesion that Police are not there for our protection? http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html

You took his comment out of context unless you are in the city he was talking about and work for the city and are in favor of the idiots who did this to Danbus ( or maybe are one of the idiots who did this to danbus).

Way to go Danladi!!!!!!!!! I hope this judges decision sets a good precedent for judges across our nation.Hope you folks in Virginia re-elect this judge over and over again.
Ive readthe ruling....thank you. And irregardless of what it says, who do people call when they are in danger of losing life, limb, or property? Who is it that you thinkgets into trouble if they dont respond?Im sureI dont need to answer that. And yes, I am a police Officer in the City of Norfolk.Does that make me an idiot?

Birds of a feather seem to flock together!

sheepdog

imported post

...the difference between eagles and bluejays is that eagles see something and act on it...take care of it...and fly back up to the heights....a blue jay would rather sit and squawk about it awhile than do something productive....I think all the snide comments about LEOs, specific or collective...do nothing to help our cause and create a lot of animosity....let's be more like the eagle...and , yes, I'm an ex-LEO....who, by the way, was expected to handle each individual, regardless of occupation, race, or hobby interests on his or her own merits...not broad-brushing anyone....don't we expect the same treatment?...and shouldn't we give it, too?!!!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I was stationed in Norfolk, Virgina Beach, Portsmouth, Newport Newsarea off 'n on from mid '62 ' thru 'late '83. (Either ships company or deploying squadrons from Oceana and/or Florida.) These periods went from one, threeto six months at a time while not deployed aboard the boat(s).

I have nothing good to say about the general attitude of NorVa PD at all from that experience. Main point of contention was attitude. Of course... all those people are prob'ly long gone... but attitude is taught, nurtured... and becomes SOP. The attitude was definately an 'Us vs Them' bordering on general hostility. (Particularly toward Sailors/Marines.) Do they teach that 'Sneer' in the the Academy there?

During that time... I observed NOBODY carrying a gun openly. (There or anywhere else... as I've lived in Arlington also '77-'78.) 'Never had a problem with Arlington PD tho.

Anyway... in between all that... I was also in/out of AZ/NV where (wow)people really CAN exercise the 2A. Not only that... but their LEO's don't hassle anybody for that... at all.

Between '74 and '77... I was a Baltimore City cop (BPD). We didn't have fancy 'nuthin'. No computers, no sirens, no 'visibars', no grille lights... just a blue 'gumball' light on the roof 'n a spotlight. We didn't even have ballistic vests when I first went on. 'Still usin' 6" S&W Mod 10 .38's 'n limited to 156 gr. semi-wadcutter ammo. 'Had to use the same crap inyour off duty gun. (Mine was a 2" S&W Mod 36.) 'Went on the street with 18 rounds of wheel gun ammo, 2 pairs of cuffs, a 2# rosewood night stick (private purchase), a small mace can (never used). 'Had a Rem 870 12 ga pump in the trunk with maybe 20 rounds of 00 Buck 'n slugs total.Obviously... there were no 'tazers' or any of that. Most of us carried a knife of some sort'n and a BUG in an ankle holster.

All reports were hand written... drove single unit cars (one man) in Sector 2 (5 Posts)'cept for926 Postwhich was 2 man. Shifts ran 7-3, 3-11, 11-7 and rotated about every 3 days. The worst was the 11-7 goin' into the 3-11 'cause you'd usually have Court... and your case may not be heard 'til noon.

Anyhoo... for the benefit of Sproggy... most of what cops 'do' is take reports... other than 'on-view'. All too often... if you 'call out of service' as a patrol cop on investigations... and actually recover stuff 'n arrest the perp... You were liable to be labled a 'Social Worker'. Most stolen stuff is never recovered. Most break-ins are never solved. Armed robbery (on the street) is a virtual freebie. Any robbery... sans security cameras, is another virtual freebie.

So... what can the ordinary citizen do? They may (by choice) avail themselves of the 2A for self defense and pro-active protection/deterrent. You... as a cop may percieve this as a direct threat... particularly open carry. This is not 'in-your-face'. It's a RIGHT! Y'know? Rights don't require license or permit. I know this isn't exactly explained in gummint schools or the Academy (if they even teach CJ-101/102) but people are born with certain 'inalienable rights' recognized as pre-existing by government and codified so as to be upheld, defended/protected. Cops take an oath to that effect.

Not every citizen takes such personal responsibility.Therefore... you may see yourself as some sort of avenging 'hero'... protecting the weak. OMG... that 'citizen' has a GUN!AND... he's (gasp) BLACK! Obviously up to no good... I must ACT... on behalf of the... WHO? WHY... and for what purpose? You took the oath to defend the Constitution and uphold the laws of Virgina... didn't you?

Actually... you're little more than an errand boy sent by grocery clerks. This is very visible in the overall countenance of the Norfolk City Council. Yeah... people still 'call the Police'... but how effective are they? How legitimate are they or their methods?

NPDwas well aware Danladi Moore had been awared $10G's. They also were aware that he'd be celebrating... and where. So... I dunno what District or Sector was involved in this... butI can see a clandestine vendetta goin' down at Roll Call or shortly thereafter. "We'll fix his ass!" Yep... while another guy was OC in the same location, alongside Dan... Dan was the only one busted. Coincidence? I dont' think so. So... where'd that come from? 'Putz'ko? City Council... theMayor... Police Chief... combinations thereof? How often is a uniformed cop posted in that area... supposedly as an 'agent' of a private enterprise? That smells right there. Was this... is this a permanent Post? Or a 'Special'?

Y'all KNOW OC is recognized in Virgina under the Constitution. it's not a 'pick 'n choose'... it's not 'opinion'... it's the LAW! You know... that law thing you're sworn to uphold, protect and defend. It's not your job to agree with it or not.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sproggy wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Sproggy wrote:

or

Ive readthe ruling....thank you. And irregardless of what it says, who do people call when they are in danger of losing life, limb, or property? Who is it that you thinkgets into trouble if they dont respond?Im sureI dont need to answer that. And yes, I am a police Officer in the City of Norfolk.Does that make me an idiot?

Did you support what thecity andpolicedid to Danladi? If so yes you are an idiot. And unamerican. I agree with you people do call the cops and need to. Gun owners call them for a whole different reason.

I don't want to start a cop bashing forum here and I am not about that I respect officers and the tough job they do. That respect going to those who do their job according to the law and constitution. I do not respect officers who are bullies or take an us vs. them attitude, or who don't bother to stand up for the constitutional rights of others. If you don't fall into any of these catagories than you have my respect but by your post you immediately came on to defend a group of people who didn't show respect for an individuals rights. If I am wrong than say so...I hope I am. Or did you join this forum to try to interrupt the celebration of a rightful ruling.

If not join us and help inform your department of our rights and stand up for your fellow citizens who you work for. Show others here that there are LEO's who are doing there jobs properly, and are deserving of our respect.

Edited to add +1 sonora rebels post

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well, emailed O'reilly to nominate Danaldi for a 'Patriot' for risking his freedom to stand
up for all our rights.
Lets see if he has the guts to aknowledge this win, and also report on those crooks in Norfork.
Or will give himself a 'Pinhead' award by hiding under his desk in fear.
"Fair and almost ballanced":cuss:

Sproggy

imported post