• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Handgun Carry Permits are ONLINE

WCrawford

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
I just found this on Georgia Packing.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/

This is not good. What the Hell is up with people that do this.

You are from Virginia, so we'll forgive you, but Tennessee does not issue concealedpermits. They are Handgun Carry Permits.

Unfortunately we are not as fortunate as some others to be able to open carry without state authorization. :(

As for the database on the Commercial Appeal website, I'm not listed in it. There are other Tennessee firearms related sites with links to the database and many HCP holders are not in it. It may have data that is out of date, but there is enough information there to track down any HCP holder that is listed.

This could open people up to harrassment or worse. Our legislators need to keep this information private.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

It is out of date, but it's still a bad idea. I used their online feedback form to send the following message.
Dear Editor,
I have recently followed a link to your site regarding the searchable database of Handgun Carry Permit holders. I feel that it is irresponsible of your newspaper to publish such information, especially in such a persistant format. Many women get HCP's to protect themselves from a violent domestic abuse situation, and attempt to relocate away from their abuser in anonymity. I have no way of knowing how many of the permit holders on your list fall into that category, and, more to the point, neither do you. With this searchable database, you enable dangerous people to more readily locate their target, and put already traumatized women at additional risk.
I would respectfully request that you pull this database from your site.

Don't know if it will help, but it's worth a try.

Regards,

Pol

PS:I'm not on it either....

suntzu

imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
It is out of date, but it's still a bad idea. I used their online feedback form to send the following message.
Dear Editor,
I have recently followed a link to your site regarding the searchable database of Handgun Carry Permit holders. I feel that it is irresponsible of your newspaper to publish such information, especially in such a persistant format. Many women get HCP's to protect themselves from a violent domestic abuse situation, and attempt to relocate away from their abuser in anonymity. I have no way of knowing how many of the permit holders on your list fall into that category, and, more to the point, neither do you. With this searchable database, you enable dangerous people to more readily locate their target, and put already traumatized women at additional risk.

Regards,

Pol

Actually the Commercial Appeal has not done anything wrong...it is the fault of the state for not making these records private, but then again; OC'ing kind of makes the point of making the records private kind of moot, except for the fact that there is enough information given to allow anyone who felt the urge to simply locate a name, locate an address for the name, and steal the persons' identity, or watch them and--well you all get the idea....this is a tactical nightmare, because it makes all of us a potential target for more than just the police. The politicians themselves are part of this problem simply because they don't know how to think and reason.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

I agree that the list should not be public domain. However, while the C-A hasn't done anything legally wrong, IMO it is still irresponsible to post this.

Regards,

Pol

suntzu

imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
I agree that the list should not be public domain. However, while the C-A hasn't done anything legally wrong, IMO it is still irresponsible to post this.

Regards,

Pol
It was irresponsible for the state to not seal the information. It is public domain now meaning you can request the database and they would, in theory at least, have to supply it to you.

suntzu

imported post

this database brings up a question:

Under T.C.A everyone has to have a permit to carry a firearm yes?
What of law enforcement? While this database is by no means complete--I have not found any of the law enforcement officials from my area listed, and the DB seems to be fairly well accurate to at least 2005--perhaps a few omissions here and there, but by and large yes?

So are LEOs required to have a permit to carry a gun? They OC all the time and many CC as well-which means that even they are supposed have to have a permit yes?

Fallguy

imported post

suntzu wrote:
this database brings up a question:

Under T.C.A everyone has to have a permit to carry a firearm yes?
What of law enforcement? While this database is by no means complete--I have not found any of the law enforcement officials from my area listed, and the DB seems to be fairly well accurate to at least 2005--perhaps a few omissions here and there, but by and large yes?

So are LEOs required to have a permit to carry a gun? They OC all the time and many CC as well-which means that even they are supposed have to have a permit yes?

While some LEOs do get a HCP for various reasons, they do not have to have one to carry 24/7 in TN.

From T.C.A.

39-17-1350 Law enforcement officers permitted to carry firearms — Exceptions — Restrictions — Identification card for corrections officers.

[align=justify](a) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, any law enforcement officer may carry firearms at all times and in all places within Tennessee, on-duty or off-duty, regardless of the officer's regular duty hours or assignments, except as provided by subsection (c), federal law, lawful orders of court or the written directives of the executive supervisor of the employing agency.[/align]

[align=justify](b) The authority conferred by this section is expressly intended to and shall supersede restrictions placed upon law enforcement officers' authority to carry firearms by other sections within this part.[/align]

[align=justify](c) The authority conferred by this section shall not extend to a law enforcement officer:[/align]

[align=justify] (1) Who carries a firearm onto school grounds or inside a school building during regular school hours unless the officer immediately informs the principal that the officer will be present on school grounds or inside the school building and in possession of a firearm. If the principal is unavailable, the notice may be given to an appropriate administrative staff person in the principal's office;[/align]

[align=justify](2) Who is consuming beer or an alcoholic beverage or who is under the influence of beer, an alcoholic beverage, or a controlled substance;[/align]

[align=justify] (3) Who is not engaged in the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer while within the confines of an establishment where beer or alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on-the-premises; or[/align]

[align=justify](4) Who is not engaged in the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer while attending a judicial proceeding.[/align]

[align=justify](d) For purposes of this section, “law enforcement officer” means a person who is a full-time employee of the state in a position authorized by the laws of this state to carry a firearm and to make arrests for violations of some or all of the laws of this state, or a full-time police officer who has been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission, or a vested correctional officer employed by the department of correction.[/align]

[align=justify](e) In counties having a population of not less than thirty thousand two hundred (30,200) nor more than thirty thousand four hundred seventy-five (30,475) or not less than one hundred eighteen thousand four hundred (118,400) nor more than one hundred eighteen thousand seven hundred (118,700), according to the 1990 federal census or any subsequent federal census, the authority conferred by this section shall only apply to law enforcement officers who are law enforcement officers for those counties or law enforcement officers for municipalities located therein.[/align]

[align=justify](f) (1) The secretary of state shall, in consultation with the commissioner of the department of correction, design and issue to each requesting correction officer who is vested and employed by the department of correction, a state identification card certifying that the officer is authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to this section.[/align]

[align=justify] (2) Any corrections officer desiring an identification card shall notify the secretary of state and shall provide the officer's full name and residential address. Upon receipt of the request, the secretary of state shall notify the commissioner of correction of the request. The commissioner of correction shall verify to the secretary of state whether the requesting officer is vested and employed by the department of correction and shall so certify in a letter to be maintained by the secretary.[/align]

[align=justify](3) If the secretary of state receives certification that a requesting officer is vested and employed by the department, the secretary shall issue the officer an identification card so certifying. The card shall be valid for as long as the officer remains vested and in the employment of the department of correction.[/align]

[align=justify] (4) A corrections officer issued a card pursuant to this subsection (f) shall carry the card at all times the officer is carrying a firearm. The card shall be sufficient proof that the corrections officer is authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to this section.[/align]

[align=justify] (5) If a vested corrections officer employed by the department resigns, is terminated, or is otherwise no longer employed by the department, the commissioner shall, within ten (10) days, so notify the secretary of state. Upon receiving the notice, the secretary of state shall revoke the identification card and send a letter of revocation to the corrections officer at the officer's last known address.[/align]

[align=justify] (6) (A) A person who is no longer a vested corrections officer employed by the department of correction but who still has an identification card issued by the secretary of state shall have ten (10) days from receipt of the letter of revocation from the secretary of state to return the card to the secretary.[/align]

[align=justify] (B) It is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by fine only of fifty dollars ($50.00) for a person to knowingly fail to return an identification card as required by subdivision (f)(6)(A).[/align]

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As suntzu alread y stated, for those of us that OC, maintaining privacy is a bit ofa moot point. However, not everyone in Tn OCs'.

AS I see it, the negative consequences are potentially:

1) A woman exiting an abusive relationship, acquiring an HCP, and relocating to get away from their abuser, could be tracked down with this information and placed in danger.

2) A person that has an anti-gunner as an employer, could be put at risk of losing their job, or someone that may be allpying for work could be denied employment by an anti-gun empoyer.

3) HCP holders could start recieving harrassing phone calls if anti's use the info published to look up phone numbers.

4) the BG's could use the data base as a starting point to find persons most likely to have firearms in the home, to steal.

WCrawford

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
As suntzu alread y stated, for those of us that OC, maintaining privacy is a bit ofa moot point. However, not everyone in Tn OCs'.

1) A woman exiting an abusive relationship, acquiring an HCP, and relocating to get away from their abuser, could be tracked down with this information and placed in danger.

2) A person that has an anti-gunner as an employer, could be put at risk of losing their job, or someone that may be allpying for work could be denied employment by an anti-gun empoyer.

3) HCP holders could start recieving harrassing phone calls if anti's use the info published to look up phone numbers.

4) the BG's could use the data base as a starting point to find persons most likely to have firearms in the home, to steal.

I'm not sure how moot the point may be. People may know that I have a carry permit, but they don't know my full name, address, or date of birth. They are that much closer to being able to steal my identity or locate my residence for robbery.

I'm very pissed about the database and I'm not on it. I'm curious if there is any civil recourse that can be taken.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

I'm not sure how moot the point may be. People may know that I have a carry permit, but they don't know my full name, address, or date of birth. They are that much closer to being able to steal my identity or locate my residence for robbery.

I'm very pissed about the database and I'm not on it. I'm curious if there is any civil recourse that can be taken.

I understand you concerns about ID theft. I'm not in this data base either, nor my boss and his wife. This data base clearly isn't up to date. I did see one of the Perry County commissioners listed though.

According to the NRA-ILA alert I got via email, the data included HCP holders home addresses until complaints got them removed.

I've already emailed my State legislators about this.

ProguninTN

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Pol Mordreth wrote:
Dear Editor,

Regards,

Pol

Actually the Commercial Appeal has not done anything wrong...it is the fault of the state for not making these records private, but then again; OC'ing kind of makes the point of making the records private kind of moot, except for the fact that there is enough information given to allow anyone who felt the urge to simply locate a name, locate an address for the name, and steal the persons' identity, or watch them and--well you all get the idea....this is a tactical nightmare, because it makes all of us a potential target for more than just the police. The politicians themselves are part of this problem simply because they don't know how to think and reason.

suntzu, I must respectfully disagree with you regarding OC and privacy. While OCing does tell everyone that I have a gun, I don't simultaneously have a sign on my back with my name, DOB, address, HCP number, issue date, expiration date, etc. All of this information is on the database. Hence, people know I have at least 1 gun, and where to find me. The door is now open for criminals to "go shopping" or for anti-gun harassment.

Progun

massltca

imported post

I just did a search and thank God I didn't find my name. When will the state start sealing this information? When people start dying or their firearms get stolen from their homes. :banghead: Therein lies the problem in requiring government permission to exercise basic human rights. Allowing anyone to search for this information is extremely irresponsible. What if some criminal decided to break into my home while I was at work and harm my family with this information. :uhoh:

Barnett3006

imported post

I wonder if you guys can use this database against your local politrickers, I mean there has to be SOME TN politrickers that have HCPs. If you can locate them on the database and send polite letters to their homes.

Something like this:

Dear Honorable Senator So and So;

YOU have a HCP with and issue date of 19xx and a expiration date of 19xx. The permit number is xxxxxxx and buy my mailing this letter to your house you know that I also know your home address.

I feel it is safe to assume that you also own at least one firearm.

Does it bother you that anybody (criminals included) can gain this kind of knowledge quickly and easily via current state law that allows public databases such as http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/ ? It bothers me and I think something should be done about it, don't you?

Signed,
Barnett3006
I think I would use a P.O. Box for a return address though :uhoh:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Barnett3006 wrote:
I wonder if you guys can use this database against your local politrickers, I mean there has to be SOME TN politrickers that have HCPs. If you can locate them on the database and send polite letters to their homes.

Something like this:

Dear Honorable Senator So and So;

YOU have a HCP with and issue date of 19xx and a expiration date of 19xx. The permit number is xxxxxxx and buy my mailing this letter to your house you know that I also know your home address.

I feel it is safe to assume that you also own at least one firearm.

Does it bother you that anybody (criminals included) can gain this kind of knowledge quickly and easily via current state law that allows public databases such as http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/ ? It bothers me and I think something should be done about it, don't you?

Signed,
Barnett3006
I think I would use a P.O. Box for a return address though :uhoh:

I doubt that any of our legislators are worried. They'd have more enhanced home security than the rest of us.

Perhaps this strategy would be more affective on County officials.

Just a bit of data to chew on. According to the TDOS website's records, Shelby County (Memphis) has the highest number current issue of HCP in the State @nearly 33,000 as of Dec.31, 08. Davidson Cnty (Nashville) comes in 2nd @ 14,325, and Knox Cnty (Knoxville) gets third place with 13,267. Total for Tennessee was 218,004

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/stats/DL_Handgun/default.html

Barnett3006

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Perhaps this strategy would be more affective on County officials.
That is what I meant; city, county and state officials of both the elected and appointed variety. If you find that your County Clerk or town Treasurer has a HCP then they should get these letters sent to their homes to.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One of our county commissioners stopped by my cabin today and I let him know about the published data. He wasn't very thrilled about it, when I told him his name was listed.