• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For Sale: Colt AR 15 Sporter

akamber

imported post

Never fired, beautiful condition, in original box. Anyone interested?

akamber

imported post

The price on these has been going up, but I hope it's still affordable.

Does $2,000 sound reasonable?

akamber

imported post

caliber is .223

keep in mind this is pre-ban, never fired. they were going for $1500 8 years ago.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

akamber wrote:
caliber is .223

keep in mind this is pre-ban, never fired. they were going for $1500 8 years ago.
Pre ban is meaningless anymore. The ban expired almost 5 years ago now. This is nothing more than a rifle that can be had off the shelf.

akamber

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
akamber wrote:
caliber is .223

Pre ban is meaningless anymore. The ban expired almost 5 years ago now. This is nothing more than a rifle that can be had off the shelf.

True (at least in WA state)with the exception that there are significant advantages to buying a brand new rifle from a private owner.

Regarding the caliber, yes the Colt AR15 can take the 5.56 nato round no problem.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I never said anything about buying from a private party, merely that the term "pre ban" is meaningless and does nothing for the value of the rifle here.

akamber

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I never said anything about buying from a private party, merely that the term "pre ban" is meaningless and does nothing for the value of the rifle here.

Infact you did. You stated, "This is nothing more than a rifle that can be had off the shelf" and I am pointing out that there are some differences that make it more than that.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

akamber wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Infact you did. You stated, "This is nothing more than a rifle that can be had off the shelf" and I am pointing out that there are some differences that make it more than that.
Right now one can buy a rifle with a folding or collapsible stock, flashhider, bayonet lug or any other of the many "banned" features. Thus a pre 1994 rifle would of been of value between 1994 and 2004, but now that those features are not banned, a "pre ban" rifle does not have any feature that cannot be had "off the shelf"

joeroket

imported post

akamber wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Maybe but do you really think it is worth $500 extra to purchase from a private party? I have never seen one go for more than $1500 in the last 3 or so years and can buy one right now that is even less than that.

Vulcan

imported post

I have not purchased a gun in a long while. I have read somewhere in this forum that in Wa. St. pistols are required to be registered, long guns are not. So what is the advantage of purchasing a long gun from a private party?

I have been shopping around for an AR 15 and have found them going for between $800 and $1100 new off the shelf depending on the model.

akamber

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
akamber wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Right now one can buy a rifle with a folding or collapsible stock, flashhider, bayonet lug or any other of the many "banned" features. Thus a pre 1994 rifle would of been of value between 1994 and 2004, but now that those features are not banned, a "pre ban" rifle does not have any feature that cannot be had "off the shelf"

Pre-ban is used asa descriptive term that refers to manufacture date. Don't you have some state research to do? There is no need for pedantic trolls in this thread.

akamber

imported post

Vulcan wrote:
I have not purchased a gun in a long while. I have read somewhere in this forum that in Wa. St. pistols are required to be registered, long guns are not. So what is the advantage of purchasing a long gun from a private party?

I have been shopping around for an AR 15 and have found them going for between $800 and $1100 new off the shelf depending on the model.

I believe anything youbuy from a dealer will be registered. Yes there are a number of manufacturers selling similiar models for around $1000 even. Folks tend to pay a bit of a premium for an unmodified Colt product, as they're getting a little harder to come by. Also the lack of paperwork makes it more attractive.

akamber

imported post

I might be off on the asking price, haven't been actively shopping for these lately, so those of you more in the know feel free to chime in!

Unregistered is def. worth more, but how much more is up to the individualI guess.

Cougar125

imported post

Why do you come here and try to sell a rifle, then make it "more attractive" because there is no paper? Just sounds shady to me.

Also, you just made an account yesterday, and all your posts are in this thread. Is any of this even OC related?

joeroket

imported post

akamber wrote:
I might be off on the asking price, haven't been actively shopping for these lately, so those of you more in the know feel free to chime in!

Unregistered is def. worth more, but how much more is up to the individualI guess.
You are probably right as far as an unregistered AR being worth more to some people. There is no doubt some do not want the gov't knowing what they have. I am sure if you look enough you will find a buyer for your asking price. I just know that they go for less other places. No doubt it is a high quality AR, which is getting very hard to come by.

In my own opinion I think somewhere between $1400 and $1600 is a reasonable price, unless it has any add on features. But then again I couldn't careless if I was buying a Colt, RRA, SNS ind., or a Mega AR as I do not think the quality between those rifles vary much if any nor do I care if it is private or via an FFL.

akamber

imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
Why do you come here and try to sell a rifle, then make it "more attractive" because there is no paper? Just sounds shady to me.

Also, you just made an account yesterday, and all your posts are in this thread. Is any of this even OC related?

I didn't mean to be shadyby pointing out that there's no registration.. just was trying to show that it's not exactly the same as something "off the shelf" as libertarion mentioned.

No obviously this isn't OC related... just thought this crowd might be interested. Judging by the number of views, it looks like I was right!