• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For Sale: Colt AR 15 Sporter

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Vulcan wrote:
I have not purchased a gun in a long while. I have read somewhere in this forum that in Wa. St. pistols are required to be registered, long guns are not. So what is the advantage of purchasing a long gun from a private party?

I have been shopping around for an AR 15 and have found them going for between $800 and $1100 new off the shelf depending on the model.
Handguns are not required to be registered in this state, but there is a de facto registration maintained by the DOL when handguns are purchased through a dealer. There is no requirement to register them though when purchased through a private party.

akamber

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Kesselring selling colt AR15 for less than a thousand. Not sure if its the same one...but wish I had the funds for one of those.
yeah, I have a feelingthe price will not be going down in the coming 4 years....

Vulcan

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Vulcan wrote:
I have not purchased a gun in a long while. I have read somewhere in this forum that in Wa. St. pistols are required to be registered, long guns are not. So what is the advantage of purchasing a long gun from a private party?

I have been shopping around for an AR 15 and have found them going for between $800 and $1100 new off the shelf depending on the model.
Handguns are not required to be registered in this state, but there is a de facto registration maintained by the DOL when handguns are purchased through a dealer. There is no requirement to register them though when purchased through a private party.
I see, so if you buy a long gun from a dealer it is "de facto registered" as well?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Vulcan wrote:
I see, so if you buy a long gun from a dealer it is "de facto registered" as well?
Not really. There is the NICS background check the dealer calls in, and the sale remains on their bound book; but the state has no record of the sale. The FBI is required to destroy the NICS check data after a certain time (24 hours IIRC) but who knows if they really do. Beyond that when the dealer goes out of business, their bound books go to the ATF.

Some call this registration, but in the strictest sense of the term, it isn't. Personally I'll buy guns off paper from trusted invidiuals when I get the chance, but it is less an effort to avoid paperwork (I've got a CPL and more dealer purchases than I can keep track of, so "they" know I have guns) than to get good deals, or swap with friends.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

akamber wrote:
I didn't mean to be shadyby pointing out that there's no registration.. just was trying to show that it's not exactly the same as something "off the shelf" as libertarion mentioned.

No obviously this isn't OC related... just thought this crowd might be interested. Judging by the number of views, it looks like I was right!
Again you totally miss my point. A "pre ban" gun has all the features that can be readily obtained with current production rifles. "Off the shelf" does not mean a sale through an FFL, it refers to stock rifles.

Historically pre ban is only used as a selling feature when there is in fact a ban in place. Since there is no current ban in place, pre ban is simply hype, and suggests added value that simply isn't there.

An exception would be certain imported guns that are verifiable as being in the US before the original 1989 import ban was put into place. SKS', AK's and other imported semi autos that are verifiable pre 1989 and are "pre ban" (1989 ban) do not have to comply with the 922(r) parts count requirements. As yours is a domestically produced rifle with features that are commonly and readily available in this country again since September of 2004, adding "pre ban" to the description means absolutely nothing.

amlevin

imported post

Max price on Gunbrokers.com for an UNfired Colt Sporter, Pre-Ban is $1800. If you don't mind one that has had a box of ammo or so fired through it they go for the $1200-$1500 range.

Once upon a time the "Colt" name might add value but there are so many other manufacturers making fine weapons, why pay the big name premium. It would be like buying an IBM PC rather than a Dell, Compaq, HP, Toshiba, etc.

arms_libertas

imported post

akamber wrote:
Regarding the caliber, yes the Colt AR15 can take the 5.56 nato round no problem.

Weren't the Sporters stamped .223, headspaced for the .223, and rated for the .223 chamber pressure? I thought that was the whole reason they developed the "Sporter" line because it wasn't as dark and evil as the mil spec rifles...

If there was not a design change by Colt specifically geared for .223 then great, otherwise it's worth considering what type of 5.56 loads will be fired through the rifle. Any round loaded toward the top end of the NATO specs has the potential to cause problems...

G27

imported post

Rule of thumb is that if it's stamped 5.56 you can shoot .223 through it. If it is stamped .223, DO NOT shoot 5.56 through it. You risk serious damage/injury.

compmanio365

imported post

I don't trust this guy as far as I could throw him. What's with all the people coming on here with no posts and thinking they can sell a gun, and that people will trust that? I dunno about the rest of you, but when I buy anything from someone, I need some kind of reputation I can look at and know I'm not getting taken for a ride. I've sold and bought weapons through a couple of the forum members on here, but they're long time users and people I've met at several of the gatherings.

No offense to the OP, but I just think you'd be better off lowering the price and it would have been better if you had been on the forum for a while before you start trying to sell a gun and boasting how there's "no paperwork" with it. Nobody's gonna trust that too much; anyone that does needs to look at the situation again.

akamber

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I don't trust this guy as far as I could throw him. What's with all the people coming on here with no posts and thinking they can sell a gun, and that people will trust that? I dunno about the rest of you, but when I buy anything from someone, I need some kind of reputation I can look at and know I'm not getting taken for a ride. I've sold and bought weapons through a couple of the forum members on here, but they're long time users and people I've met at several of the gatherings.

No offense to the OP, but I just think you'd be better off lowering the price and it would have been better if you had been on the forum for a while before you start trying to sell a gun and boasting how there's "no paperwork" with it. Nobody's gonna trust that too much; anyone that does needs to look at the situation again.

strangers are scary stuff, don't go near.

boom

imported post

Not to acuse the OP, but entrapment and negative publicity is scary stuff too. Just thinking. Maybe someone willing to pay more to a private partywould do that for a reason. Paranoia keeps you sharp and hopefully well away from a sticky situation.

uncoolperson

imported post

something here doesn't sound quiet right.

sure, here an AR for sale is a big deal (sadly my 1911 isn't as much... meh pistol, carry forum... whatever).

You're getting responses because you are making posts containing assumptions and treating those as facts.

0$ premium on face to face sales (if any it is negated by taxes), bragging about such makes this a lot like a car without a title.
pre-ban means nothing more than old
yay, you have a colt... me too, mine's older
with the way things are maybe you thought your price was about right (the dpms sportical is used right now is $300+ over new, as is the cheap olyarms model), however most people here are probably willing to wait the 6 months to a year to get something at half what you want.

how many people own an AR for that long without firing?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Now, now, now uncoolperson. Can't have pedantic trolling on this thread. Of course you don't have any state research to do, so I suppose you could be forgiven:p

uncoolperson

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Now, now, now uncoolperson. Can't have pedantic trolling on this thread. Of course you don't have any state research to do, so I suppose you could be forgiven:p

sorry lib... guess I am getting a little to wrapped up in anything and everything lately, probably a good time to step outside for a few.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

sorry lib... guess I am getting a little to wrapped up in anything and everything lately, probably a good time to step outside for a few.
Heheh, I was being totally sarcastic here of course. Hence the smiley.

akamber

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:

Thats right!! No pedantic activity, thank you. ;)

So it sounds like 2k is above market value for something like this. What do you guys expect it would be worth, all things considered?

BTW, it hasn't been fired because I bought 2 at the same time, and this one just stayed in the box. Hasn't come out other than being nicely oiled periodically.The ongoing "I dont trust this guy" is getting old, makes the community sound very closed & secretive. Open carrying has already been neutured with the loading restriction - suspicious 'members only' mindsets will only contribute to the few freedoms we have left being slowly erroded away by younger generations who's interest and imagination you have failed to capture.

Now look - i'm trolling my own thread!!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'm sure it's a perfectly legit offering. Pre ban is an obsolete and overused term these days, which is why I said something about it. It says nothing about the rifle except that it was made before 1994, and that the seller probably hasn't done much to update their vocabulary since then either.

Then you made a big issue about an off the books transaction. THAT raises a lot of red flags in many people's minds. Nothing says "Hmmm" than someone who is unknown to a community saying "Hey buy my gun, it's off the record, no paperwork!" Again nothing personal, but that is a major red flag to many people. When dealing with weapons sales cautious is best. Claiming "unregistered" (there is no rifle registration in this state) adds to the value also is a good way to raise suspicion as you keep emphasizing an "off the books" transaction. Believe it or not stings can happen. Just imagine jumping on a "really good deal" for an "off the books" gun and find out some guy sold you an illegal machine gun, and they turned out to be ATF or some such. Gun sales stings can and have happened in all manner of fashions. The more "clandestine" an offer sounds, the more suspicious I get.

All that said I imagine the Blue Book of Gun Values would be a really good place to start for what it's worth. Post some pics, and the current blue book value. Let folks decide from there.

So this isn't a closed community, but a cautious one. Speaking for myself if I buy a gun from someone I don't know I am going to get a receipt with their DL or CPL number on it, and probably call in the serial number to the local PD to make sure it isn't listed as stolen. No offense intended, but one can acquire guns through private trades, and end up unknowingly with a hot gun.

I have bought and sold guns to private parties while tweaking my collection, and have done everything from a basic gun swap, to calling the local PD to have a 1911's serial number checked. CYA is a good thing.

Put up some pics of the gun, and it's Blue Book value, and you'll probably get some takers.

Me, I'm a soviet weaons guy.

Cougar125

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I'm sure it's a perfectly legit offering. Pre ban is an obsolete and overused term these days, which is why I said something about it. It says nothing about the rifle except that it was made before 1994, and that the seller probably hasn't done much to update their vocabulary since then either.

Then you made a big issue about an off the books transaction. THAT raises a lot of red flags in many people's minds. Nothing says "Hmmm" than someone who is unknown to a community saying "Hey buy my gun, it's off the record, no paperwork!" Again nothing personal, but that is a major red flag to many people. When dealing with weapons sales cautious is best. Claiming "unregistered" (there is no rifle registration in this state) adds to the value also is a good way to raise suspicion as you keep emphasizing an "off the books" transaction. Believe it or not stings can happen. Just imagine jumping on a "really good deal" for an "off the books" gun and find out some guy sold you an illegal machine gun, and they turned out to be ATF or some such. Gun sales stings can and have happened in all manner of fashions. The more "clandestine" an offer sounds, the more suspicious I get.

All that said I imagine the Blue Book of Gun Values would be a really good place to start for what it's worth. Post some pics, and the current blue book value. Let folks decide from there.

So this isn't a closed community, but a cautious one. Speaking for myself if I buy a gun from someone I don't know I am going to get a receipt with their DL or CPL number on it, and probably call in the serial number to the local PD to make sure it isn't listed as stolen. No offense intended, but one can acquire guns through private trades, and end up unknowingly with a hot gun.

I have bought and sold guns to private parties while tweaking my collection, and have done everything from a basic gun swap, to calling the local PD to have a 1911's serial number checked. CYA is a good thing.

Put up some pics of the gun, and it's Blue Book value, and you'll probably get some takers.

Me, I'm a soviet weaons guy.
Well put SV.