• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kern County OC

ourmanthejoker

imported post

So I convinced a buddy of mine through example to go down town open carry. We were looking for a new place to live since our lease is going to be up and found a little reality joint with some good deals.

This was his first OC experience and boy I tell you never had I seen a more nervous looking friend/realitors. It must have been their first OC experience too! Haha.

After a very uncomfortable minute one of them finally inquired about our "packing". I didn't think about it then, but I should have referred him here to this site. The rental guy seemed pretty comfortable with the fact that we were armed after I broke the ice telling him it was legal and that you just couldn't have it loaded.

Long story short, I broke my friends OC cherry! :what:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Were you in an incorporated area of the County? if you were, you could have carried loaded provided the County had no enacted a shootin gban where you were.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

I have no Idea what you mean, so as a default I just carry unloaded. unless of course you're telling me I can otherwise with proof ;D

I don't know what incorporated means for one ;D and I was in california city

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ourmanthejoker wrote:
I have no Idea what you mean, so as a default I just carry unloaded. unless of course you're telling me I can otherwise with proof ;D

I don't know what incorporated means for one ;D and I was in california city
Go our maps and click on CA and read the summary - then read thru the CA forums - CA has a bifurcated loading restriction based upon where you are in CA. Obviously you are wise to carry with magazine on belt if you don't know exactly where you are :)

ourmanthejoker

imported post

I may be a bit reckless going in balls to the wall not fully knowing of the laws but I'm both a patriot and a nevadan. ;D And this is america.

I suppose i'll review that info ;D

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mike meant to ask if you were in an unincorporated part of the state. Carrying loaded in an incorporated part of the state (like in a city) is a no-no. Carrying loaded outside all city limits usually means you are in unincorporated land, and therefore you can carry loaded legally minus all the usual restrictions.

Based on the wikipedia page for California City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_city) you can see it is incorporated, so you cannot legally carry loaded there.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

Ah, i figured it was a nono, so I did not. However much my will and free-man's spirit says to, i did not. :(

Decoligny

imported post

Mike wrote:
Were you in an UNincorporated area of the County? if you were, you could have carried loaded provided the County had no enacted a shootin gban where you were.

Fixed that for you.

If you are in an "incorporated city" that means you cannot open carry loaded.

"Incorporated City" is basically within the city limits of the following 480 cities in California.

California City is Incorporated, so no loaded open carry.

Outside of the city limits, i.e. UNINCORPORATED area, is fine for loaded open carry, as long as there are no county or local ordinances that make discharge of a firearm illegal.

In Kern County, there are no county ordinances against discharge, with the exception of within County Parks. So pretty much anywhere outside of city limits (except county parks), you can open carry loaded.

These are the incorporated Cities in California:

Adelanto, Agoura Hills, Alameda,Albany, Alhambra,Aliso Viejo,Alturas, Amador City,American Canyon, Anaheim,Anderson,Angels Camp,Antioch,Apple Valley,Arcadia,Arcata,Arroyo Grande,Artesia,Arvin,Atascadero,Atherton,Atwater,Auburn,Avalon,Avenal,Azusa,

Bakersfield,Baldwin Park,Banning,Barstow,Beaumont,Bell,Bell Gardens,Bellflower,Belmont,Belvedere, Benicia,Berkeley, Beverly Hills,Big Bear Lake, Biggs,Bishop,Blue Lake,Blythe,Bradbury,Brawley,Brea,Brentwood,Brisbane,Buellton,Buena Park,Burbank,Burlingame

Calabasas,Calexico,California City,Calimesa,Calipatria,Calistoga,Camarillo,Campbell,Canyon Lake,Capitola,Carlsbad,Carmel-by-the-Sea, Carpinteria,Carson,Cathedral City,Ceres,Cerritos,Chico,Chino,Chino Hills,Chowchilla,Chula Vista,Citrus Heights,Claremont,Clayton,Clearlake,Cloverdale,Clovis,Coachella,Coalinga,Colfax,Colma,Colton,Colusa,Commerce,Compton,Concord,Corcoran,Corning,Corona,Coronado,Corte Madera,Costa Mesa,Cotati,Covina,Crescent City,Cudahy,Culver City,Cupertino,Cypress,

Daly City,Dana Point,Danville,Davis,Del Mar,Del Rey Oaks,Delano,Desert Hot Springs,Diamond Bar,Dinuba,Dixon,Dorris,Dos Palos,Downey,Duarte,Dublin,Dunsmuir,

East Palo Alto,El Cajon,El Centro,El Cerrito,El Monte,El Segundo,Elk Grove,Emeryville,Encinitas,Escalon,Escondido,Etna,Eureka,Exeter,Fairfax,Fairfield,Farmersville, Ferndale,Fillmore,Firebaugh,Folsom,Fontana,Fort Bragg,Fort Jones,Fortuna,Foster City,Fountain Valley,Fowler,Fremont,Fresno,Fullerton,

Galt,Garden Grove,Gardena,Gilroy,Glendale,Glendora,Goleta,Gonzales,Grand Terrace,Grass Valley,Greenfield,Gridley,Grover Beach,Guadalupe,Gustine,

Half Moon Bay,Hanford,Hawaiian Gardens,Hawthorne,Hayward,Healdsburg,Hemet,Hercules,Hermosa Beach,Hesperia,Hidden Hills,Highland,Hillsborough,Hollister,Holtville,Hughson,Huntington Beach,Huntington Park,Huron,

Imperial,Imperial Beach,Indian Wells,Indio,Industry,Inglewood,Ione,Irvine,Irwindale,Isleton,

Jackson,

Kerman,King City,Kingsburg,

La Canada Flintridge,La Habra,La Habra Heights,La Mesa,La Mirada,La Palma,La Puente,La Quinta,La Verne,Lafayette,Laguna Beach,Laguna Hills,Laguna Niguel,Laguna Woods,
Lake Elsinore,Lake Forest,Lakeport,Lakewood,Lancaster,Larkspur,Lathrop,Lawndale,Lemon Grove,Lemoore,Lincoln,Lindsay,Live Oak,Livermore,Livingston,Lodi,Loma Linda,Lomita,Lompoc,Long Beach,Loomis,Los Alamitos,Los Altos,Los Altos Hills,Los Angeles,Los Banos,Los Gatos,Loyalton,Lynwood,

Madera,Malibu,Mammoth Lakes,Manhattan Beach,Manteca,Maricopa,Marina,Martinez,Marysville,Maywood,McFarland,Mendota,Menifee,
Menlo Park,Merced,Mill Valley,Millbrae,Milpitas,Mission Viejo,Modesto,Monrovia,Montague,Montclair,Monte Sereno,Montebello,Monterey,Monterey Park,Moorpark,Moraga,Moreno Valley,Morgan Hill,Morro Bay,Mountain View,Mt. Shasta,Murrieta,

Napa,National City,Needles,Nevada City,Newark,Newman,Newport Beach,Norco,Norwalk,Novato,

Oakdale,Oakland,Oakley,Oceanside,Ojai,Ontario,Orange,Orange Cove,Orinda,Orland,Oroville,Oxnard,

Pacific Grove,Pacifica,Palm Desert,Palm Springs,Palmdale,Palo Alto,Palos Verdes Estates,Paradise,Paramount,Parlier,Pasadena,Paso Robles,Patterson,Perris,Petaluma,Pico Rivera,Piedmont,Pinole,Pismo Beach,Pittsburg,Placentia,Placerville,Pleasant Hill,Pleasanton,Plymouth,Point Arena,Pomona,Port Hueneme,Porterville,Portola,Portola Valley,Poway,

Rancho Cordova,Rancho Cucamonga,Rancho Mirage,Rancho Palos Verdes,Rancho Santa Margarita,Red Bluff,Redding,Redlands,Redondo Beach,Redwood City,Reedley,Rialto,Richmond,Ridgecrest,Rio Dell,Rio Vista,Ripon,Riverbank,Riverside,Rocklin,Rohnert Park,Rolling Hills,Rolling Hills Estates,Rosemead,Roseville,Ross,

Sacramento,Salinas,San Anselmo,San Bernardino,San Bruno,San Carlos,San Clemente,San Diego,San Dimas,San Fernando,San Francisco,San Gabriel,San Jacinto,San Joaquin,San Jose,San Juan Bautista,San Juan Capistrano,San Leandro,San Luis Obispo,San Marcos,San Marino,San Mateo,San Pablo,San Rafael,San Ramon,Sand City,Sanger,Santa Ana,Santa Barbara,Santa Clara,Santa Clarita,Santa Cruz,Santa Fe Springs,Santa Maria,Santa Monica,Santa Paula,Santa Rosa,Santee,Saratoga,Sausalito,Scotts Valley,Seal Beach,Seaside,Sebastopol,Selma,Shafter,Shasta Lake,Sierra Madre,Signal Hill,Simi Valley,Solana Beach,Soledad,Solvang,Sonoma,Sonora,South El Monte,South Gate,South Lake Tahoe,South Pasadena,South San Francisco,St. Helena,Stanton,Stockton,Suisun City,Sunnyvale,Susanville,Sutter Creek,

Taft,Tehachapi,Tehama,Temecula,Temple City,Thousand Oaks,Tiburon,Torrance,Tracy,Trinidad,Truckee,Tulare,Tulelake,Turlock,Tustin,Twentynine Palms,

Ukiah,Union City,Upland,

Vacaville,Vallejo,Ventura,Vernon,Victorville,Villa Park,Visalia,Vista,

Walnut,Walnut Creek,Wasco,Waterford,Watsonville,Weed,West Covina,West Hollywood,West Sacramento,Westlake Village,Westminster,Westmorland,Wheatland,Whittier,Wildomar,Williams,
Willits,Willows,Windsor,Winters,Woodlake,Woodland,Woodside,Yorba Linda,Yountville,Yreka,Yuba City,Yucaipa,Yucca Valley

mjones

imported post

Also keep in mind that CalCity is MUCH larger then it looks. Its very easy to think you're in an unincorporated area out there when you aren't.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 203.6square miles (527.4km²). Although one of California's smaller cities in terms of population, California City is the third largest city in California by land area (34th in the United States, and 21st when consolidated city-counties are excluded).

Joker, you might want to update your location in your forum profile if you've moved away from NLV.

FMCDH

imported post

Also, keep in mind that public K-12 schools are EVERYWHERE, and especially in urban areas. You cannot carry a firearm loaded or unloaded within 1000feet of K-12 school grounds without it being locked up.

See my recent experience in California at this thread for some hints on how to keep yourself out of trouble with a GPS.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/21113.html