Thread: PNC Bank no longer gun friendly after 8 years.

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Cross post from PAFOA.ORG.

So, today I went into the PNC bank on William Penn Highway in Monroeville PA, OC as always, to deposit my Wife's check, (she doesn't have direct deposit). I have been in this bank on MANY MANY occasions and couldnt even begin to guess how many times I've been there.

Today as I walked into the front door with my 3 year old and my 7 month old in tow, the woman at the front desk says,

PNC: Excuse me SIR!!!
    Me: How can I help you?
    PNC: What is that on your side there?
    Me: That would be a Sigma .40 handgun.
    PNC: You can't have that in here!!!!
    Me: Is this a bank policy because I haven't had trouble for carrying a firearm here, and I've been comming in here for over 5 years to this building and I've been with PNC Bank for over 8 years Can I please see a manager.

At this time the manager came out and reiterated that PNC does not allow firearms in their banks. I requested that the mgr close my accounts and am now in the process of choosing another bank.

I cannot BELIEVE that after all this time, it's taken until NOW to get hassled. I have never been questioned by any of the tellers or even this mgr EVER.. so either something has changed at PNC, or they weren't enforcing it. Either way, any bank that doesn't respect my rights, will not receive my business. Hope this helps you guys and gals.

Mike

Post imported post

Unfortunately this seems to be a trend with banks lately.

I use Centra bank in western Pennsylvania and WV and haven't had a problem yet.
    But of course I always use one in a really small town so they probably dont care.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Please tell me the building which you entered.

I just got off the phone with PNC, they have no policy on firearms due to state to state laws. I will file a complaint, as should you against the bank manager. What he did was wrong, impolite for alienating you, and should be reported.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Sure thing.

PNC BANK

4044 William Penn Highway

Monroeville, PA 15146

412-373-2300

I spoke with a woman that identified herself as J. Graves. She claimed to be the district mgr.

Thanks for the assistance.

Post imported post

Though I do not have an account with PNC i have on occasion had business in the PNC in Pittsburgh via cashing checks or dealing with their business loan dept and have never had a problem while OC'ing. Maybe its just a new manager at your bank with a stick up his ass.

Post imported post

(edited for redundancy)

Post imported post

A stick which I'm going to be removing tomorrow. I'm going to be moving to PA in the near future, I have decided PNC is one of the banks which I'll move both my business and personal accounts to once I leave Alaska, and I will certainly not put up with such a manager nor expect anyone else to put up with such a person.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

Let me be the first t welcome you to PA!

If you dont mind me asking, what part of PA are you moving to? And what type of business do you own?

Im near Pittsburgh, so if you need anything let me know.
    Places to shoot or some place to take the family, I can always give you a recommendation.

Post imported post

I'll be moving up to somewhere in the West Deer or Fawn area with also a second residence in Pittsburgh if what I want to happen works out.

My business is IT services, though I always find what I do difficult to explain. I do VPS/Server hosting, application debugging, programming, and tech support. As debugging goes, the stuff nobody ever likes to or can't figure out so they call me... heh. I still have hair on my head though!

Banned

Post imported post

I just carried into the PNC here in Indiana this afternoon with no issues.

Post imported post

The PNCs here in greater Cincinnati, Ohio, have had no-guns signs since our CHL went into effect in 2004. It seems to be chain-related in this area, at least.

Post imported post

I wonder if PNC allows state or district branches to make their own policies... we shall see.

Post imported post

"M.J. Graves is in meetings all day until 4:30 - 5:00 pm", says Danielle.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    "M.J. Graves is in meetings all day until 4:30 - 5:00 pm", says Danielle.
    How convenient.......

Post imported post

I spoke with M.J. Graves after I had her pulled out of a meeting. She didn't want to give me the policy number in which the "REGIONAL" PNC polices are stated. She stated, probably her opinion, firearms are not allowed in western PA branches. She told me while it was my right, it's their "preference"(huh?) to not allow customers carry their firearms just as they can prevent people from wearing their hats down or their hoodies up.

Post imported post

I spoke with a representative at PNC client relations which stated M.J. Graves is the manager for 15 branches in eastern Pittsburgh. The relations woman will call me back as she thinks there is a corporate policy however is not sure, she will call me back this afternoon.

Banned

Post imported post

So just as a test, today I went to make a withdrawal of $500 from a PNC branch I've never been in (My usual branch, I know all the tellers, at least by sight, so I doubt anything would have scared them that I'd do :P) partially OCing (Loose jacket, pulled back to get my wallet in front of the teller) and used my LTCF for photo ID (While wearing a hat, gasp!)

No issues. Young guy, maybe my age, couldn't have been older, he just looked at it for a few seconds to find the number and expiration date, verified that it WAS a firearms permit, and entered it. So I had to ask him if he had a field that would take it, and he said "Yeah, there's a dropdown list, that's one of the choices. I just needed to be sure exactly what it was or the system has issues."

And then he swore at the computer a few times, but that was mostly unrelated (new hire) and immediately apologized.

So I think it's just your branch.

Post imported post

Aran, MJ Graves manages 15 of the many branches in the Pittsburgh area. Go to one of her branches, ask them about Graves's policy, then they'll ask you to leave.

OP's incident was not specifically with PNC but with the district manager who happens to be able ask people to leave in accorance to PNC policy of some type of "preference" policy. Which means if they don't like you wearing a blue shirt they can ask you to leave as well without any flak from their supervisors at main hq.

Banned

Post imported post

Sure thing. Send me $20 for gas and I'll hit five or six of them to test on Monday.

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    I wonder if PNC allows state or district branches to make their own policies... we shall see.
    I'm pretty sure the PNC Branch in Bridgeville has a no weapons sign on the door . . . I've ignored it a few times ;-)

Post imported post

The security guard at the Greenfield area PNC (Murry and Loretta) told me he wouldnt care if anyone came in OC, although he is not sure of any policy

Post imported post

I wouldn't have too much faith in PNC. I ran across this article today:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09093/960257-85.stm

In name of safety, PNC starts dress code for customer
    Friday, April 03, 2009
    By Patricia Sabatini, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If you bank at PNC, you may want to pay attention to what you wear.

Pittsburgh's and the state's largest bank recently began asking customers to take off their hats, sunglasses and other items that might conceal their identity while inside its branches.

"The safety of our employees and our customers is our foremost concern. We request that you remove any hats, caps, sunglasses or hoods while inside this financial institution," read signs posted within the last six months at the entry doors of PNC Financial Services Group's roughly 1,100 branches nationwide.

The so-called no-hats policy is a growing trend among banks and credit unions. The idea is to aid law enforcement in robbery, fraud and forgery investigations by helping them get a good look at suspects with surveillance cameras. The tactic also is believed to prevent robberies.

"Hopefully, [thieves] see that sign and will say they should go someplace else," said Margot Mohsberg, spokeswoman for the American Bankers Association.

Simply approaching potential robbers and asking them to remove a cap or sunglasses also may be enough to make them think twice about plans and derail them, proponents say.

The no-hats concept is believed to have started in Massachusetts in 2002 on the recommendation of a task force of bankers, law enforcement and security experts formed to generate ideas for combating bank robberies, said Bruce Spitzer, spokesman for the Massachusetts Bankers Association.

Since then, the association has asked all of its members to adopt a no-hats policy. Currently, 80 percent of bank branches in the state post the no-hats signs, Mr. Spitzer said.

"We knew that implementing this would not solve all bank robberies," he said. "But it might prevent some, and in some cases law enforcement would get better pictures if a robbery took place."

"It's hard to quantify the effect" of the program, Mr. Spitzer said, "but law enforcement loves it."

The policy is not without controversy. A few weeks ago, a Muslim woman complained to the Council on American-Islamic relations after she was asked to leave a line at a credit union in southern Maryland and be served in the back room because her head scarf violated the institution's no-hats rule, according to the Washington Post. A spokesman for the group did not return a phone call last week seeking comment.

PNC spokesman Fred Solomon said the bank is sensitive to special situations. "Our tellers receive training in what is and what is not religious garb, and we do not ask that it be removed," he said.

The policy potentially could cause problems for other individuals, such as blind customers who wear sunglasses or people undergoing cancer treatment who cover their heads when they lose their hair. "We are not inflexible," he said.

Members 1st Federal Credit Union in Harrisburg adopted a similar no-hats policy at that organization's 35 branches about six months ago on the advice of its security department, spokesman George Nahodil said.

"We wanted to be protective of our employees and let members know that if you come in ... we want to be able to identify you," he said, adding that no customers have complained.

While the initiative at Members 1st and PNC was voluntary, law enforcement officials in Washington state have lobbied legislators there to make it illegal for financial institutions to do business with customers who wear hats or sunglasses inside a branch.

Supporters say one reason for the push is that customers often don't comply with the policy, and employees don't enforce it.

Locally, neither Citizens Bank nor Dollar Bank, the region's second- and third-largest retail banks, have adopted no-hats policies.

National City branches, which PNC acquired on Dec. 31, will adopt the program as offices are converted to PNC's computer systems over the next two years, Mr. Solomon said.

The Pennsylvania Bankers Association does not have a formal position on the issue. Spokeswoman Jill Helsel said she heard about no-hats policies for the first time last week when two reporters asked about them.

Post imported post

I have dealt with PNC on many occasions yet I have never had an account with them.

They harrass non-customers and make them pay a fee to cash personal, business, payroll, and cashiers checks issued on their bank.

They are just not a very friendly bank to deal with. Not to say anything bad about them. But I mean I do not know anyone that does business with them and I know a lot of people. And people I do business with on occassion that do happen to have account, they never have nice things to say.

So I honestly do not understand why they are still in business if no one seems to like them. They once called the cops on me because they refused to cash a business check for $5000 unless I paid a $30 fee. They said I caused a scene. All I did was ask to see a manager. And when I did I said "Oh, there is a fee. Ok, can I see a manager to verify this?". When they refused, i just politely said ok and and walked outside and called their main office. While outside on the cell a cop showed up. He also laughed and said "I don't do business with them either. They are ***holes. Don't worry about it. Have a good day". As crazy as they are, I wouldn't think twice about open or concealed carry in any of their banks. They might say you tried to rob them.

FYI, I was not carrying that day.

Banned

Post imported post

I've been wearing a hat into PNC and have auto-darkening lenses on my glasses for years now, nobody's said a thing lately.

Might be because I'm a regular, though, and they all know me..

Post imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
    I've been wearing a hat into PNC and have auto-darkening lenses on my glasses for years now, nobody's said a thing lately.

Might be because I'm a regular, though, and they all know me..
    They may think you were the unibomber. LOL. Everyone has an excuse at this bank yet no one is accountable.