• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PNC Bank no longer gun friendly after 8 years.

Falcon118

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania
imported post

Cross post from PAFOA.ORG.

So, today I went into the PNC bank on William Penn Highway in Monroeville PA, OC as always, to deposit my Wife's check, (she doesn't have direct deposit). I have been in this bank on MANY MANY occasions and couldnt even begin to guess how many times I've been there.

Today as I walked into the front door with my 3 year old and my 7 month old in tow, the woman at the front desk says,

PNC: Excuse me SIR!!!
Me: How can I help you?
PNC: What is that on your side there?
Me: That would be a Sigma .40 handgun.
PNC: You can't have that in here!!!!
Me: Is this a bank policy because I haven't had trouble for carrying a firearm here, and I've been comming in here for over 5 years to this building and I've been with PNC Bank for over 8 years Can I please see a manager.

At this time the manager came out and reiterated that PNC does not allow firearms in their banks. I requested that the mgr close my accounts and am now in the process of choosing another bank.

I cannot BELIEVE that after all this time, it's taken until NOW to get hassled. I have never been questioned by any of the tellers or even this mgr EVER.. so either something has changed at PNC, or they weren't enforcing it. Either way, any bank that doesn't respect my rights, will not receive my business. Hope this helps you guys and gals.

Mike

Sig229

imported post

Unfortunately this seems to be a trend with banks lately.

I use Centra bank in western Pennsylvania and WV and haven't had a problem yet.
But of course I always use one in a really small town so they probably dont care.

david.ross

imported post

Please tell me the building which you entered.

I just got off the phone with PNC, they have no policy on firearms due to state to state laws. I will file a complaint, as should you against the bank manager. What he did was wrong, impolite for alienating you, and should be reported.

Prophet

imported post

Though I do not have an account with PNC i have on occasion had business in the PNC in Pittsburgh via cashing checks or dealing with their business loan dept and have never had a problem while OC'ing. Maybe its just a new manager at your bank with a stick up his ass.

david.ross

imported post

A stick which I'm going to be removing tomorrow. I'm going to be moving to PA in the near future, I have decided PNC is one of the banks which I'll move both my business and personal accounts to once I leave Alaska, and I will certainly not put up with such a manager nor expect anyone else to put up with such a person.

Sig229

imported post

Let me be the first t welcome you to PA!

If you dont mind me asking, what part of PA are you moving to? And what type of business do you own?

Im near Pittsburgh, so if you need anything let me know.
Places to shoot or some place to take the family, I can always give you a recommendation.

david.ross

imported post

I'll be moving up to somewhere in the West Deer or Fawn area with also a second residence in Pittsburgh if what I want to happen works out.

My business is IT services, though I always find what I do difficult to explain. I do VPS/Server hosting, application debugging, programming, and tech support. As debugging goes, the stuff nobody ever likes to or can't figure out so they call me... heh. I still have hair on my head though! :D

JSK333

imported post

The PNCs here in greater Cincinnati, Ohio, have had no-guns signs since our CHL went into effect in 2004. It seems to be chain-related in this area, at least.

david.ross

imported post

I spoke with M.J. Graves after I had her pulled out of a meeting. She didn't want to give me the policy number in which the "REGIONAL" PNC polices are stated. She stated, probably her opinion, firearms are not allowed in western PA branches. She told me while it was my right, it's their "preference"(huh?) to not allow customers carry their firearms just as they can prevent people from wearing their hats down or their hoodies up.

david.ross

imported post

I spoke with a representative at PNC client relations which stated M.J. Graves is the manager for 15 branches in eastern Pittsburgh. The relations woman will call me back as she thinks there is a corporate policy however is not sure, she will call me back this afternoon.

Aran

Banned
imported post

So just as a test, today I went to make a withdrawal of $500 from a PNC branch I've never been in (My usual branch, I know all the tellers, at least by sight, so I doubt anything would have scared them that I'd do :p) partially OCing (Loose jacket, pulled back to get my wallet in front of the teller) and used my LTCF for photo ID (While wearing a hat, gasp!)

No issues. Young guy, maybe my age, couldn't have been older, he just looked at it for a few seconds to find the number and expiration date, verified that it WAS a firearms permit, and entered it. So I had to ask him if he had a field that would take it, and he said "Yeah, there's a dropdown list, that's one of the choices. I just needed to be sure exactly what it was or the system has issues."

And then he swore at the computer a few times, but that was mostly unrelated (new hire) and immediately apologized.

So I think it's just your branch.

david.ross

imported post

Aran, MJ Graves manages 15 of the many branches in the Pittsburgh area. Go to one of her branches, ask them about Graves's policy, then they'll ask you to leave.

OP's incident was not specifically with PNC but with the district manager who happens to be able ask people to leave in accorance to PNC policy of some type of "preference" policy. Which means if they don't like you wearing a blue shirt they can ask you to leave as well without any flak from their supervisors at main hq.

Farmer Troy

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
I wonder if PNC allows state or district branches to make their own policies... we shall see.
I'm pretty sure the PNC Branch in Bridgeville has a no weapons sign on the door . . . I've ignored it a few times ;-)