• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outdoors Target Shooting

MirkoCrocop

imported post

well there are some sortarural type areas down near pungo hawkflyerbut I dont know any private land owners so thats why Im askin:p

and I dont mind driving for a while to get there so the one near williamsburg is fine thanks

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know how far this would be for you but there used to be a lot of farms and open areas both to the east and west of Dismal Swamp. I know that Suffolk has built out some to the east, but there still should be some places to shoot down that way.

2a4all

imported post

Ore wrote:
Closest place I know of is the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area up past Williamsburg (Charles City County). Bit of a drive, but free (have to have a hunting license though) and unmonitored. It is, however, limited to rifle and shotgun.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1
No hunting license required to use the range.

I was there last Dec, and it's a nice facility, but you'll need to bring everything with you. There is a porta-potty, but no running water or 1st aid station. I didn't have any cell service.

Ore

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Ore wrote:
Closest place I know of is the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area up past Williamsburg (Charles City County). Bit of a drive, but free (have to have a hunting license though) and unmonitored. It is, however, limited to rifle and shotgun.

I was there last Dec, and it's a nice facility, but you'll need to bring everything with you. There is a porta-potty, but no running water or 1st aid station. I didn't have any cell service.

Maybe they have changed the rules; last time I was there (been 2 years) the game warden came and checked everyone on the line. Ticketed two fellas who did not have hunting licenses.

Bullbuster

imported post

Ore wrote:
2a4all wrote:
Ore wrote:

Maybe they have changed the rules; last time I was there (been 2 years) the game warden came and checked everyone on the line. Ticketed two fellas who did not have hunting licenses.

Thats crazy. I've been shooting at that range sense Nov '05 with and without a hunting license with me. Never been asked or seen anyone be asked other than actual hunters in the parking lot during the hunting season. But it wouldn't surprise me any. Run into some strange hot headed people there before.

Your gonna be hard pressed to find any place close thats free unless you get access to private farm land. Best bet would be to go to the public range in pungo. Will cost ya $20 but its a nice range. Some BS rules but nice nevertheless.

Bullbuster

imported post

Its under new management. Was there about 2 weeks ago with a couple friend. WORD OF CAUTION if you OC into the clubhouse be ready for Sh** to hit the fan. The guy behind the counter about had a heart attack on one of my trips about 2 months back when I walked in OCing. You can have a holsterd gun but unloaded and slide back, revolver cylinder must be swung open.

2a4all

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Its under new management. Was there about 2 weeks ago with a couple friend. WORD OF CAUTION if you OC into the clubhouse be ready for Sh** to hit the fan. The guy behind the counter about had a heart attack on one of my trips about 2 months back when I walked in OCing. You can have a holsterd gun but unloaded and slide back, revolver cylinder must be swung open.
How do you fit your revolver into its holster with the cylinder swung out?

I don't think my Ruger P944 will fit in its holster with the slide locked back, either.

People carrying loaded firearms at a shooting range! Shocking!

vtme_grad98

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
That's a minor issue in comparison to what they charge just to use their 100 yard lanes. I think they're up to $30 per person (that's per person, not per lane).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Ore wrote:
2a4all wrote:
Ore wrote:

Thats crazy. I've been shooting at that range sense Nov '05 with and without a hunting license with me. Never been asked or seen anyone be asked other than actual hunters in the parking lot during the hunting season. But it wouldn't surprise me any. Run into some strange hot headed people there before.

Your gonna be hard pressed to find any place close thats free unless you get access to private farm land. Best bet would be to go to the public range in pungo. Will cost ya $20 but its a nice range. Some BS rules but nice nevertheless.
There's nothing on the web site about a hunting license http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1

and I've never even seen a Game Warden there.

There is always a range idiot who takes it upon himself to be the self appointed range master. There are also plenty of blackshirts that won't obey the one hour rule.

Other than that, nice range.

2a4all

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:
Ore wrote:
2a4all wrote:
Ore wrote:

There's nothing on the web site about a hunting license http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1

and I've never even seen a Game Warden there.

There is always a range idiot who takes it upon himself to be the self appointed range master. There are also plenty of blackshirts that won't obey the one hour rule.

Other than that, nice range.
I initially thought that having a hunting license might be a prerequisite to using the range, as it's touted as a facility where hunters can sight in their weapons, so I called the DGIF office that manages the Chickahominy facility and asked. 'Twas they who told me no hunting license required to use the range. I also asked if all the officers who patrolled the facility were aware of this, and was told that they were.