• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incredible home invasion caught on camera

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Link to Video here:
http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=9816982&nav=menu216_2

David Marino reports
Incredible home invasion caught on camera
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 02:17 AM
Updated: Feb 10, 2009 08:19 PM
A homeowner, alerted of an impending home invasion by his security cameras, arms himself and takes matters into his hands last Thursday when four armed suspects attempt to break into his home.

The video the owner caught is incredible, and you can see it by watching the video link to the left. You see a vehicle pull up, and four men run out. One of them is carrying what appears to be an AR-15 or M-16, a weapon which could be fully automatic.

The robbery happened last Thursday in broad daylight at a home on West Vande Loo Street. All the action was caught by the homeowners outdoor surveillance system.

"The victim was able to get back inside his house, close his door, semi barricade it, reach for [a] weapon that was easily accessible," says Pima County Sheriff's Deputy Earl Gieron.

The homeowner shot at the suspects. He even put a bullet through the windshield of the suspects car, which is also caught on camera. The four men retreated and took off. All of them remain on the run.

Sheriff's officials say the homeowner has surveillance cameras installed all around his house.

Dep. Gieron says, "That was just for his own security."

People living in the neighborhood heard all the gunshots, and saw the aftermath. Some stray bullets even hit a home across the street.

One man says, "I was asleep around noon Thursday, and heard gunshots."

Lawrence Cruz lives down the street from where the attempted home invasion happened.

"I am very watchful where we live and I think everybody has right to defend their property," says Cruz.

Detectives did find the suspect's vehicle at a home near Cardinal and Valencia, but the four men are still on the run.

One of the suspects has been identified as 23-year-old Jesus Mendivil. It's believed he was shot in the arm.

The three other men are all described as Hispanic males between 17 and 25-years-old.

Anyone with information is asked to call 88-CRIME

sheepdog

imported post

...must have been a low-capacity firearm...otherwise, why would he cease firing??? Bet his coffee tastes good this morning!!!

Dustin

imported post

And who says we don't need carbines with high-cap magazines ? One of them had an AR-15 !

He should have just retreated and called the COPS right ? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good for him, and I too bet his Coffee tasteoutstanding,this morning.

Successful Defensive Story !

Now if You all don't mind, I'm going to finish hanging myAutomated Gun Turrents on the corners of my house.:celebrate

r6-rider

imported post

i wonder what was so special about his house?

either way he got really lucky. just goes to show you how pussy criminals really are, 4 vs 1 all armed (one with an AR) and they retreat because the guy pulls a pistol (im assuming) they could of easily taken him out

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Obviously he OC's, and made himself a target.:banghead::banghead:

I am sure the irish coffee would be good after that incident.
But don't forget to add the loss of your bullets to the civil suite.
Was a nice shot group on the windshield though.

Also time to get law changed to allow armor penetrating bullets
for home defense, as this shows the need to get at the bad guy better.

Lets hope he gets to keep those wheel rims for his troubles.

+1 for the dummy not covering his face :celebrate

usdm419

imported post

Arizona home owners are some of the best prepared I've seen/heard of.:celebrate
I don't know how anyone here thinks they can just barge into people's homes, I'd say about 75% of the homes are armed.

compmanio365

imported post

This is one of those situations where the phrase, "My pistol is there to get me back to my rifle," sounds about right. I also think, from watching the video, that none of the weapons carried by the invaders were loaded. Not one shot was fired back at the homeowner. Still, I sure wouldn't wait to find out. Good going on the homeowner, and too bad they were able to get away to stand trial later.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Dustin wrote:
And who says we don't need carbines with high-cap magazines ? One of them had an AR-15 !

True in my opinion, but the Government would just lead you to believe that if you outlaw that kind of firearm they wouldn't have had access to it and more than likely wouldn't have committed the crime. You know how our idiotic political officials feel about this kind of stuff, the gun is what gives you the courage to commit the crime, if you didn't have the gun you wouldn't commit the crime!

I wonder if the homeowner could keep the car since the BG's abandoned it?! All it needs is a windshield replacement and it's good to go. I love those kinds of cars!!

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Asset forfeiture only counts when it's the police that want some new stuff. Although he might be able to get it cheap at a police auction (assuming the dept. still has them, and that the car wasn't stolen).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

usdm419 wrote:
Arizona home owners are some of the best prepared I've seen/heard of.:celebrate
I don't know how anyone here thinks they can just barge into people's homes, I'd say about 75% of the homes are armed.
This one is!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Nope... My whole family said that before I could comment. This is a gang thing. Dunno why the homeowner was targeted... but doubtful it was random.

Evil Ernie

imported post

They clearly cased this guy. Watch how fast they move on the house and how they covered up their faces. They knew damn well someone would be watching. Big props to the homeowner!!!!

sheepdog

imported post

...in Tx, all gang members are illegal...;) ...seriously, when you have no vested interest in a society...seems like anything goes....head 'em up, move 'em out!!!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Aren't a very large percentage of Hispanic gang members illegal?
Yeah, they are! 'Seems most of that kind'a thing in these parts is anyway. MS 13 comes to mind.

usdm419

imported post

I agree that this was not random. The owner knew they were coming for him. And I'm suspect of a guy with surveillance and people like this casing him. Possible drug dealer?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Or just the bad luck to have same house number as the drug dealer two blocks over.:cuss::cuss:

The only thing that jumped out at me was he sees them on the security system,
and runs inside.
Where does he keep the monitors? Mine are already in the house, the cameras
are outside, but seems strange to need to go outside to check what they are showing.

Only thing that make sense is if he ties them to an iPhone screen or something so he
can see them wirelessly.

Just wish the reports on the first guy nabbed would have reported on the skid marks
made by the cowards.