• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How could we get the local news involed

steven

imported post

If we could get the local news involved in this dis... And let the public know that it is legal to oc than that would make people a lot less worried and it would help us because thesheriff would not take every ones permit because he would have a job at the next el.. There would be allot of people that wouldn't be worried about oc if we could get he news to let everyone know that it is legal

Mississippian

imported post

Welcome to the forum, call me cynical, but the news media is notoriously liberal and while they may not be 100% anti-gun, they are definately not pro-gun.

In my opinion, the best way to educate is by OCing and giving the Alabama Firearm Rights Associations tri-fold pamplet out to anyone who asks about the legality of your OCing of a handgun.

Also, you do know that according to AL law you must have a CC permit to carry a handgun in a vehicle right?

Go here for the flier: http://alabamagunrights.org/

They also have a forum, look over to the right in the 'links' section.

acrimsontide

imported post

steven wrote:
If we could get the local news involved in this dis... And let the public know that it is legal to oc than that would make people a lot less worried and it would help us because thesheriff would not take every ones permit because he would have a job at the next el.. There would be allot of people that wouldn't be worried about oc if we could get he news to let everyone know that it is legal

The media would probably help to put a stop to the OC movement!!! I can just see some liberal news person saying: Did you know that Alabama is like the old west? Legally everyone can openly carry a firearm and there is a movement to get more people to do so.

Then some sheriff will get PI$$ed off and contact his legislator and ask that legislation be proposed to make OC illegal. The sheriff might convince the legislator that since CC permits are issued, OC is not necessary.

Since there is currently no law against OC, our best bet is through "education" to others. IF there were to be a law passed against OC, it would be very difficult to get changed. The media cannot be counted on to help any pro gun agenda!!!

steven

imported post

does anyone have any opinion on posting this website on chat rooms that they go into and does anyone think this could help

Mississippian

imported post

Handing those fliers out is an excellent idea, but, IMO,many cops don't really care what those fliers say, they just see an armed activist handing out a piece of paper:uhoh:.

So, if you are going to OC while doing this, be for damn sure to have a DVR recording continuously that is well hidden, mine hangs around my neck under my shirt and records continuously from the time I leave my house until I get back while I am OCing. Just imagine being falsly arrested:cuss:but havingit all recorded:celebrate.

As for the fliers, what I do is I always try to have a few of the fliers handy so I can give them to anyone who questions the legality of OCing, doesn't matter if they approve or disapprove, they get a flier.

One question, have you found a pro 2a lawyer in your area? All it takes is a few emails.

The way I found one is by going to findlaw.com (or .net, cant remember), searched for civil rights and/or constitutional law lawyers in my area then sent them an email describing how Ican and do legally carrymy handgun openly and that I've been told that I may get harrassed by doing so and am wondering if they would be willing to take such a case if I were to get harrassed or worse by law enforcement.

The one I found is pro-gun and carries concealed :cool:(understandable).

Be safe, be legal and beingforewarned is beingforearmed;):).

steven

imported post

I got a dvr and I talked to the Douglas cops and they told me not to believe everything on the Internet and that they enforce the laws the attorneys general gives them and the was nothing about opened carry and it was illegal and that the only place you could open carry was on your property and if you carried anywhere else that they would arrest you

Mississippian

imported post

I got a dvr and I talked to the Douglas cops and they told me not to believe everything on the Internet and that they enforce the laws the attorneys general gives them and the was nothing about opened carry and it was illegal and that the only place you could open carry was on your property and if you carried anywhere else that they would arrest you

You got all that on a voice recorder?

steven

imported post

yea its on the dvr and the link that a posted above they seen it and said that they could not see anything that said you couldlegal open carry

i am thanking about mailing a complaint to the ag and see what that might do.

Daddyo

imported post

steven wrote:
yea its on the dvr and the link that a posted above they seen it and said that they could not see anything that said you could legal open carry

i am thanking about mailing a complaint to the ag and see what that might do.

I think cops in your area are about to get an education, from Detour and Mr. Hooper.

steven

imported post

I hope so that would be nice iv been handing papers on oc. I was surprised that most of the places i went to let me leave them on the counterlike radio shack and family dollar and a good bit of pawn shops

steven

imported post

[align=left]No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or[/align]
[align=left]concealed on or about his person, except on his land,[/align]
[align=left]in his own home or fixed place of business, without a[/align]
[align=left]license. Exempt from this prohibition are law enforcement[/align]
officers, common carriers, and persons carrying unloaded

common carriers wouldnt that be citizens or what does anyone eles think about this

Mississippian

imported post

common carriers wouldnt that be citizens
No, a common carrier is like a trucking company, I am an 18wheelerowner/operator and I am listed as a common carrier, therefore, according to the AL law, I can carry w/o a permit...But I don't want to test that in court.

According to Wikipedia:
A common carrier is an business that transports people, goods, or services and offers its services to the general public under license or authority provided by a regulatory body.

Also, where are you getting the "persons carrying unloaded" part?

steven

imported post

thanks for telling me that and the unloaded thing is you don't have to have a license to buy a pistol or to take it from the place were you bought it to your home and from your home to a gun smith and back to your house itmust be unloaded and out of reach and the ammunition can not be close to the gun and you can not put it in a glove compartment ill try to find that site agin and ill get an ip add. for it