• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JMU's Gun Rights Week event....

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since I haven't seen an after action report on the JMU Gun Rights Week (http://gunrightsweek.org/) Saturday session I thought I would provide a brief summary. Saturday's activity provided students with the opportunity to take a firearms 101 basic safety and operation class followed by range safety briefing and then range time one-on-one with a NRA instructor. Just under 50 students attended the free session on Saturday.

John Murphy (http://www.fpftraining.com) and other instructors provided classroom instruction that was informative and entertaining. Dale Hawley provided a very thorough range safety briefing. Many participants had prior shooting experience, however, the majority were completely new to firearms with zero experience.

After those two sessions the students proceeded to the range. Each student worked one-on-one with an NRA certified instructor learning to shoot. Firearms varied between .22lr and 9mm. Some students shot out the bullseye straight away including more than a couple of the young ladies. Some struggle with the recoil, noise, sight alignment and various other issues. Instructors were patient, encouraging and always in good humor.

I am proud to have attended and assisted with this event and will do so again in the future. We should all thank Shawn Deehan for organizing a great week for the students of JMU in addition to the sponsors, volunteer instructors and those that provided firearms, targets and ammunition so students could attend free of charge. Each student also received a one year free membership in the NRA.

On another note, Dale Hawley organizes a regular "Shoot n' Greet" for experienced and new shooters. At least half of the students signed up to receive the emails regarding these events which will provide them with additional shooting opportunities. I will add the announcement and schedule of these as a separate thread.

Put this one in the win column for our team!! :cool:

hunter45

imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
Since I haven't seen an after action report on the JMU Gun Rights Week (http://gunrightsweek.org/) Saturday session I thought I would provide a brief summary.  Saturday's activity provided students with the opportunity to take a firearms 101 basic safety and operation class followed by range safety briefing and then range  time one-on-one with a NRA instructor.  Just under 50 students attended the free session on Saturday.

John Murphy (http://www.fpftraining.com) and other instructors provided classroom instruction that was informative and entertaining.  Dale Hawley provided a very thorough range safety briefing.  Many participants had prior shooting experience, however, the majority were completely new to firearms with zero experience.  

After those two sessions the students proceeded to the range.  Each student worked one-on-one with an NRA certified instructor learning to shoot.  Firearms varied between .22lr and 9mm.  Some students shot out the bullseye straight away including more than a couple of the young ladies.  Some struggle with the recoil, noise, sight alignment and various other issues.   Instructors were patient, encouraging and always in good humor.

I am proud to have attended and assisted with this event and will do so again in the future.  We should all thank Shawn Deehan for organizing a great week for the students of JMU in addition to the sponsors, volunteer instructors and those that provided firearms, targets and ammunition so students could attend free of charge.  Each student also received a one year free membership in the NRA.

On another note, Dale Hawley organizes a regular "Shoot n' Greet" for experienced and new shooters.  At least half of the students signed up to receive the emails regarding these events which will provide them with additional shooting opportunities.  I will add the announcement and schedule of these as a separate thread.

Put this one in the win column for our team!!  :cool:

Please post the "Shoot n' Greet" info in the future, I'd be interested in attending.

nova

imported post

Ok...we've done one of these at GMU, and now JMU. Time to arrange gun rights week at VA Tech, UVA, ODU, and VCU :celebrate:lol:

The more 'young' people we get exposed to the positive aspect of firearms (instead of the crap that is shown on TV and in movies) the better.