• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Wants and need Vermont guns laws. No reply just read!

LaVere

imported post

Vermont State Requirements
Rifles and Shotguns

* Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.

* Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.

* Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.

* Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.

Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No.

* Registration of handguns? No.

* Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

* Permit to carry handguns? No.

Other Requirements

* Is there a State waiting period? No.

* Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? No. State system.

* Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? No.

* Record of sale: Yes.

*NICS - National Instant Check System

Caution: This summary is meant for general purposes only. Firearm laws
frequently change.

Source: Department of the Treasury Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
Firearms - State Laws And Published Ordinances - Firearms (23rd Edition
– 2001)

Psss. Pass it on. If you don't a million children in country of Rumpuckero. Will not be able to watch the Disney Channel
this week. :banghead:

Do it for the children, please.

taxwhat

imported post

OK Please may I show All a problem ? Lets play new to post ! Wow this is a [ Great ,Cool , very informative , Factual , Gun Crazed Whack Jobs] site . I love the posts and have [ Called ,e-mailed , personally spoke to voice recording device] at my [ state senators office ,house rep.] that was a wasa wasteof time they don't talk Gun I was so pissed. I put up big sign I own a WEAPON that will teach them . Now I feel that all the Gun laws are crap so I open carry everywhere I go , That will show them.Now what can I do to make Michigan more like a Gun FREE Zone ? I don't want to do and research on my own just cut copy and paste the articles I like !I have no idea who or how state Government works , But I want it changed now just to suit Me ? PAC money don't mean scat to me I still getting My unemployment Check mailed to Me .How can I help more ? This was to make ALL Think no paper or tree was harmed and was done with no ill will toward people who try with good honest heart's peace .

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I actually do not want Vermont's laws. If you read some of the postings on Vermont's Stories from The States, the issues involved with having public property posted as "no carry zones" seems to be a big hassle. Also, by not even having the option to get a permit to carry concealed in VT, citizens there are limited to carry concealed ONLY in VT, unless they get an out of state permit from one of the jurisdictions that allow non-citizens to get permits. But, even with the NR permit, VT residents could not carry in Michigan, Florida, Colorado, Kansas, New Hampshire, South Carolina, or West Virginia.

DanM

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Also, by not even having the option to get a permit to carry concealed in VT, citizens there are limited to carry concealed ONLY in VT, unless they get an out of state permit from one of the jurisdictions that allow non-citizens to get permits. But, even with the NR permit, VT residents could not carry in Michigan, Florida, Colorado, Kansas, New Hampshire, South Carolina, or West Virginia.

This is the practical problem I have with Vermont's law. Sure, I think Vermont's law is closest to the ideal, no question. But, if you travel outside of your state, as I and many others do, a fact of reality is that almost all reciprocity agreements require you to have a CCW permit.

Which is why, at present, actually Alaska's laws are a better model. There is no permit required for lawful CCW, however you do have the option of getting a CCW permit, which many do for reciprocity reasons.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

DanM,

I agree. When I read the VT OC threads, I see that Vermonters are very limited out of state. Another point, and I really don't know what AK's laws are in this regard. I would add COMPLETE state preemption, for the reasons I stated earlier.