• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Other defensive devices

Chaingun81

imported post

Hey, does anyone know if it's legal to CC a pocket knife in DC and if yes, then what are the limitations? Other thing is pepper spray. I know that DC residents may carry pepper spray but it must be registered with Metro PD (NKVD). But what about non-residents? I'm a VA resident andif i go to DC can i posess a "unregsitered" pepper spray on me?

P.S. I HATE DC :cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

virginiatuck

imported post

I saw your post and decided to dig the law up again to make sure.

http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/dcofficialcode

I am not a lawyer: The law regarding posssession of a knife only applies if you intend to use it unlawfully against another.

See DC ST § 22-4514 (Actually, all of Title 22, Chapter 45 pertains to weapons)
/snip
Code:
(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.
[font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"]/snip

I'm glad I looked this up because I misread it a long time ago and thought that my knife had to be less than 3". Since I do not intend to use it unlawfully against another, it seems that does not apply to me.

If only the law about possession of a firearm had the same common sense exemption... but hey, if everyone in D.C. who threatened a common man's life were shot and killed instead, the...:question: hmm, my sarcasm generator has got nothin. I guess then it would be a nice place to visit.

I am not a lawyer: You may also possess pepper spray for self defense, but it must meet these specifications:
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"]A mixture of a lacrimator including chloroacetophenone, alphacloracetophenone, phenylchloromethylketone, orthochlorobenazalm-alononitrile or oleoresin capsicum.

I'm not a chemist either, but I think that probably rules out any pepper spray products that contain tear gas... heck, maybe even dyes.

There's a requirement to register the spray at the time of purchase, but it says nothing about spray that you have not purchased in D.C. I don't know if one could construe this to mean that it is not legal to possess the pepper spray if it is not registered with the Metropolitan Police Department. My position would be that you may possess unregistered pepper spray because 1) the law only requires registration at the time of purchase and 2) since you are not a vendor, you are not required to forward the registration form to the MPD. See
[/font]
[/font]
§ 7-2502.14 for yourself.
[font="Verdana,Helvetica"][font="Verdana,Helvetica"]
All relevant pepper spray laws are:
[/font]
[/font]
DC ST § 7-2502.12, DC ST § 7-2502.13, and DC ST § 7-2502.14.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So to be real safe you better "Steal" the pepper spray.:banghead::banghead:

Guess my letter opener, that has a beyonet hookup is a no go,
or is it ok as long as the non-existing weapon isn't with me.
After all I could use it to cut on you mail.....

The only thing worse than DC, is DC outside of DC.
Keep those fools locked up for everyones safety.

I stil need to check on those Not a pistol regs for the OC at the mall.

virginiatuck

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Guess my letter opener, that has a beyonet hookup is a no go,
or is it ok as long as the non-existing weapon isn't with me.
After all I could use it to cut on you mail.....
As I've scoured DC's title 2, chapter 45, I can not find anything that would prohibit carrying your letter opener or even a sword, as long as you do not intend to use it unlawfully against another person. That legal interface is such a pain to navigate. It's slow and clunky.

I'd like to hear from a second set of eyes after they've read the D.C. code as well. Am I right? Or is there another statute somewhere that outright bans specific types of weapons like swords?

SlackwareRobert wrote:
The only thing worse than DC, is DC outside of DC. Keep those fools locked up for everyones safety.
I wish we could stop the extension of the orange line to Dulles/Ryan Road. This is all the more reason to get the NoVa Democrats voted out of office and prevent further infringement of the Second Amendment. We'll need it more than ever after that.
http://www.dullesmetro.com/

But I digress, that subject is off-topic. Let me bring it back to point.

I can't find a law in Virginia or D.C. today that would prevent me from openly carrying a sword to the Second Amendment March next year. Unless, of course, the law is changed before then. Guns may be banned in D.C., but there are many ways to "bear arms." Sometimes we need to remind people that the Second Amendment isn't just about guns.
http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So as long as they can't prove who my japanese sword was used on I am safe to carry it?
I would figure that not being born should be grounds to have the charges dismissed.:cuss:

At least I do have scabbards for the swords, and sabres, but do need to worry about
trace transfers down inside them. Can't open them to clean without destroying them.

But I haddn't even thought about the OC sabres for the mall, was looking at the
match, and flintlocks that seem to be declared as non pistol, collector pieces.

Would a sabre week side, and sword accross back be too much for the mall police?
Alas I don't have any rapiers. Haven't oc'd them in decades, and would deffinately
need to practice for a few weeks to get used to sitting and walking again.
As I recall needed to use the sports car to keep the scabbard from binding
when in the car. Metal doesn't bend around upright seats.
If the cops don't bother me the mall is less than 6 hours driving.:celebrate

ianto94

imported post

VirginiaTuck is correct. Criminal possession of a knife is a thought crime. As long as you don't intend to use it to attack another, it is legal. I confirmed that with the Lt. in charge of firearms registration for the District.

Pepper spray with tear gas is illegal in DC.

Yeah, pepper spray is required to be registered. However, that's pretty much a joke among MPD officers

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Arms under the 2A are not specified as firearms. My personnal choice of 'useful' sword is the Ames 1860 pattern US Navy Cutlass.Working (vice decorative) replica's can be had from 'Collectors Armory' w/sheath and belt frog.

'Course a nice roundel center spiked shield, Saxe chopperand war hammer or axe will get you a seat at most any DC 'Chief Joints of Staff' at happy hour. AViking 'eyebrow'helmet might compliment 'the 'look'. One need not be period correct to adopt the 21st century urban warrior look.