• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I carried all-day yesterday

demnogis

imported post

I picked up my Ruger Monday evening. I had to come back to work and do some overtime, so I brought it with me.

Yesterday my roommate's Girlfriend was acting out with VBS (Vindictive B**** Snydrome), so I had to pack up my easily-accessible valuables (which are residing with a friend until she's kicked out soon).

Naturally, I kept the SR9 with me in it's case since I don't yet have a holster to UOC here. Most all my co-workers in my department asked to see it, asked what it was etc etc. So I indulged their curiousities. I kept it unloaded the whole day but a loaded mag was accessible should it need be.

Overall pretty good!

Granted, it was out of sight the whole day.

My main concern is, what sort of response could I expect if I'm carrying while at work? I mean, if my boss knows it's legal and I'm abiding by the law, what's to stop someone who doesn't know me as well nor is in my department from calling the police? Do I need a permission slip? Do I need a case here at work? I'd like to keep it on me for when I leave, go out to run errands or whatever I need to on breaks. In that time between my comings and goings I more than likely will have it holstered.

I'm just not certain if I need a permission slip, if I need to inform my employer, or if I should expect some form of recourse from them... Any insight?

wayneco

imported post

Those who control private property can set a more restrictive policy, i.e. "no guns at work, period" and you have to abide by it. State laws protect or restrict carry in public places only.

At least that's how it works in Nevada, I imagine it's true in CA and other states as well.

demnogis

imported post

I suppose I could negotiate a locked case at work... I only have a motorcycle as my mode of transportation so I can't leave a locked case in it (too easy to steal).

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Check your employee handbook/guidelines/manual. Usually there will be a section on weapons, and usually they'll be prohibited (from my experience). If you don't have a handbook then I would assume it's okay unless otherwise informed.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Hey you never know, I conviced my boss that he needed to get a weapon before
the idiots handed the country over. He did get a nice folding stock, AR-15.
Didn't go for the .308 cal. version, but he had it at work the other day.

Once I get some dies to load his brass, my job is safe till the war ends at least. :celebrate
I run into enough 'customers' over the day that I don't OC at work, but
outside the office, or weekends.......

It's just amazing how big and bulky those 'cell phones' are under your shirt.

demnogis

imported post

It seems that I will use the locked container for storage while at work (in my department that is). No word has been passed down from management and my direct manager has no objections, so it looks like a viable solution.

demnogis

imported post

Word came down the pipe today. No weapons or firearms of any kind allowed on our floor. Luckily, a co-worker will let me keep it in the trunk of their car. He usually gets here the same time as me and leaves after me, so it works out.

pullnshoot25

imported post

demnogis wrote:
Word came down the pipe today. No weapons or firearms of any kind allowed on our floor. Luckily, a co-worker will let me keep it in the trunk of their car. He usually gets here the same time as me and leaves after me, so it works out.
LAME!

Demnogis, time to invent some sort of firearms containment device for bikes!

OCDOers, COLLECTIVE THINKING CAPS ON!

inbox485

imported post

In California it is legal to carry loaded open or concealed as an employee at your place of business. For work, unless you work for a firearms manufacturer, I would have kept it concealed. If nobody ever noticed, it probably wouldn't have sparked the policy change. Even after the policy, what nobody sees, nobody can complain about.

As for the motorcycle, you can get/use either a side saddle compartment that locks or a cable lock looped through the gun and the frame of the bike.

demnogis

imported post

When storing my pistol out on a ride, the back of my bike has a small storage compartment. It works like the trunk in your car. It takes a key to gain access to it. It's just big enough for the case that can hold my pistol and 2 loaded mags :)