• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig 226 any good?

MirkoCrocop

imported post

Ive been wanting to purchase another semi-auto and someone offered to sell me the sig 228 for 550.00 with extra mags, holster, and fmj bullets. Just want to know if this is a good deal and what is your guys take on the sig 228?

Walleye

imported post

Depends on the condition of the pistol. If it's got less than 200 rounds through it, that's a decent deal; if it's used and well worn, you can get one of those for much less. P226s are the most affordable SIG lineup right now - P225/P6s are going for about the same or more than P226s, and there isn't much size difference between the P22x types.

I've been pleased with my P226 I got last year; it's durable, reliable, and accurate. Even though it's a full size pistol, it's a lot smaller than comparative pistols such as the 92FS and conceals quite well.

There have been some complaints about the more recent production runs as quality control over the past 5-6 years seems to be dropping in US made SIGs, but most examples turn out OK. I personally have a CPO with a milled slide and was probably built in the late '90s. It's in excellent condition and I paid $585 in total for it. The only thing I don't like about it is it takes a pretty hot loading to cycle the slide reliably, even after about 1200 rounds through it. Otherwise, it feeds just about anything and I have no regrets of buying when I did.

MirkoCrocop

imported post

oh i just looked it over its actually a sig p 228 with 5 mags, a thigh rig holster and normal holster with 300 rounds through it in good condition

Ive seen it fired before by the owner and no jams or fte at all

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think if you have to go DA/SA Sig is the way to go.

I don't carry a 9, but I like the fit and feel of a 226.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a Sig P228 and really like it. I don't carry it that often anymore as it is my wife's preferred sidearm, but it has become one of my favorite sidearms. It is pre-nitride finish so I have to be somewhat careful about keeping it cleaned and oiled if it gets sweaty or wet so I don't get surface staining or rust. This does make it higher maintenance than other newer guns but since it only requires a quick field strip, wipe down and oil, it only takes a few minutes. I bought mine lightly used and haven't regretted the purchase. It is a great accurate shooter with zero FTF or FTE in a few thousand of rounds. Actually, I like it so much that my next 2 planned sidearm purchases are Sig P series DA/SA.

SIGguy229

imported post

I may be biased....but you won't be disappointed by the SIG. Depending on the size of your hands, the P226 may be too big....I have three (P226, P229, P239)...never disappointed.

Walleye

imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
oh i just looked it over its actually a sig p 228 with 5 mags, a thigh rig holster and normal holster with 300 rounds through it in good condition

Ive seen it fired before by the owner and no jams or fte at all
For $550 on a P228 with only 300 rounds through it, that is an excellent deal. You would be pleased with it - go for it!

Springfield45

imported post

Functionality wise, I found nothing wrong with the 3 Sigs I owned.
I had a P226 9mm, a P220 in .38 Super, and a P220 in .45acp.
Balance, feel, reliability, and accuracy were SUPERB.

I traded them all for a Glock G20-10mm, a Kimber Eclipse Target II .45acp., and
a Taurus 605, .357 Magnum

The reason- They were all older models (late '80's early '90's) and the finish on them
was JUNK. Without generous amounts of oil after every use, they rusted worse than an old Chrysler body.

1st Lesson Learned-
If your going to buy a Sig, make certain that it's oiled after every carry/use. Or only buy the Stainless variants. (I could be wrong, but I believe that all of the newer models are Blackened stainless, or stainless.)

2nd Lesson Learned- I shouldda took the $150 cash instead of the Taurus 605.:banghead:

However, I still own one Sig, the Mosquito, aluminum slide, polymer frame, so no rust. It is one of the best .22LR "plinkers" I have ever owned. It's no target pistol
by anymeans, (it's accurate) but it is one of the most reliable .22's of it's kind IMO.

My $0.02

~~Springfield

Edited for spelling

Walleye

imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
well I bought it and i actually prefer the grip over my XD , trigger action feels pretty smooth too, and I like that it has a decocker on it. Now to fire it!:celebrate
Ok, I'll be the first to say:

Pics, or it didn't happen! :p

@Springfield45

The original finish was blued as I recall. At some point they started finishing them with a "Nitron" finish which is a rough, highly resistant finish. The internal parts are still blued though.

I haven't had any problems with corrosion despite the abuse I've put my P226 through.

Springfield45

imported post

Walleye wrote:
MirkoCrocop wrote:
well I bought it and i actually prefer the grip over my XD , trigger action feels pretty smooth too, and I like that it has a decocker on it. Now to fire it!:celebrate
Ok, I'll be the first to say:

Pics, or it didn't happen! :p

@Springfield45

The original finish was blued as I recall. At some point they started finishing them with a "Nitron" finish which is a rough, highly resistant finish. The internal parts are still blued though.

I haven't had any problems with corrosion despite the abuse I've put my P226 through.
Walleye,

I wish I had pics of it ... I had a miserable time with the finish on my Sigs, otherwise
they are a fantastic firearm. Is your P226 the nitron finished variant ? Or is it Blackened Stainless ?

I do believe that the finish was a bluing of some sort ... It surely wasn't tough at all.

~~Springfield

Walleye

imported post

Yes, mine is either a late 90s or an early 2000s build. It is a CPO so at some point in time it was sent back to the factory and refinished. It has the Nitron finish with blued internals (barrel, spring, etc).

It's a kind of rough finish, not glossy like traditional bluing.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sigs (I'm not sure if all but at least many) have a date stamp on the bottom of the slide under the muzzle end (may be easier to find/read with the slide removed) so you don't have to guess as to the manufacturing. The date code is:

These 2 letters are stamped on the front lower part of the slide next to the proof stamps and indicates the 2 last digits of production year.

A=0
B=1
C=2
D=3
E=4
F=5
G=6
H=7
J=8
K=9

For example my P228 is stamped KE meaning it was produced in 1994.