• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranges in the Richmond area.

Gunny5821

imported post

Hello All,

I only know of one range in my area and it's the one adjacent to VASP. I personally don't like to shoot there as they don't allow you to shot your own ammo.

So are there any indoor or outdoor ranges (within 25 miles of Richmond) that allow you to shoot your own ammo (45 ACP)?

Thanks all!

Gunny

curtiswr

imported post

Black Creek Shooters Association, a private range, is in Mechanicsville. Never checked it out myself, though.

essayons

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Black Creek Shooters Association, a private range, is in Mechanicsville. Never checked it out myself, though.
As of last weekend Black Creek was still accepting members.

7-15yd, 25yd, 50yd, 100yd ranges

Also a range set up for special events - cowboy action and 3 gun.

And a trap range that is also a very large 125yd benchrest range.

The only downside is that KC Young (the guy that owns the place) tends to frown upon rapid fire, and is very insistent that every shot hits the target backers, which are so small on the mid-distance rifle ranges that you can't even fit a full size silhouette.

Need to be a NRA member, $100 a year.
804-781-0267

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
There's the place in Colonial Heights, used to be called Straight Shooters...not sure of the name now.

It's called the Smoking Gun and it is on the up and up. It's on Rt. 1 in Colonial Heights just before the river if you are going south.

It's a small mom and pop shop, but they are friendly and let you shoot your own ammo. The owner of the place has an FFL and a few pistols in stock.

Nice guy, he is a big fan of the VCDL. I would rather take the drive down there than shoot here in Richmond.

http://www.sostraining.net/smokinggun.html

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I"m anxious to check that place out. I've never been there.

It's small Pro, but it is well-ventilated and the temperature is controlled better than the other range in the area.

It's not Hollywood style, but you won't break the bank if you just want to shoot some paper targets.

The best part is you can bring your own ammo.