Thread: open carry

Post imported post

Can someone tell me were i can finethe laws about open carry so i can give them to people who don't know what the law is and might my right to open carry.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Please read these 2 threads

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/17262.html

These will give you darn near all the info you need.

It is my suggestion and it is ONLY that, that you should study the laws and practice how to handle different encounters with both law enforcement and citizens for at least 6 months before going all out.

Post imported post

at least 6 months before going all out.

I am curious as to your reasoning for this time frame?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

It's just a number I pulled out of well you know where....

It's what I did. But as I said it is just a suggestion.

Also I said "go all out". I was hoping someone else might chime in and tell him about OC'ing around the house to help get use to it. I'm sure other suggestion would also be helpful.

Post imported post

I figured as much, just had to throw a jibe at you. :P
    But yes, start with baby steps...around the house, check the mailbox...etc. Then as your confidence builds and you are more comfortable, then go for it. ONLY...after you are sure you know the laws well enough to defend yourself in any encounters you may have.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    But yes, start with baby steps...around the house, check the mailbox...etc.
    I would add, at any point before or during the baby steps, attending an OC get-together is a GREAT confidence booster. In fact, the very first time I OC'd was at a get-together.

So . . . baby steps AND get-togethers!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Just as everyone has been saying.... Baby steps. I'm still new at it myself. And because of that you would see me ocing in and around me house whenever I am there. Out to the mailbox... I have about a 100yd driveway with 4 other homes coming off that.

I oc'ed in a hotel I stayed at for a week. Then I started showing up to oc meets/lunches. First time for info and now oc'ing.

The I was at another hotel to pick up some equipment I have there in an old board room. I took off my coat while in there rummaging around stuff with a friend there. Then put coat back on before I went back to the car.

Plus right now the other reason I don't oc all the time yet is due to the weather. Rainy, snowy, cold weather I will be CC. Warm I will OC most the time. Mainly due to the fact its hard to CC when I'm out doing the summer truck repairs and mud bogs and stuff like that.

Get out to lunch and dinner meets also. Meet people that OC. Some people you may end up as friends with too. Or you'll meet a business owner that states he OC's at his business and its ok if we do too.

Post imported post

Here are a few things I did to ease my butterflies about open carry.

1)OC around the house and outside on your property. A good one is to mow your lawn while OC'ing.

2)Get gas but pay at the pump. This way, if your still uncomfortable OC'ing, you never get too far from the security of your vehicle.

3)OC in groups of three or more. I found this to be the best exercise. I was more comfortable knowing I wasnt the center of attention.

It didnt take long for OC to be routine for me. It took my brother a while longer, but each person is different.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.