• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry

Birdman

imported post

Can someone tell me were i can finethe laws about open carry so i can give them to people who don't know what the law is and might :question:my right to open carry.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

It's just a number I pulled out of well you know where....

It's what I did. But as I said it is just a suggestion.

Also I said "go all out". I was hoping someone else might chime in and tell him about OC'ing around the house to help get use to it. ;) I'm sure other suggestion would also be helpful.

WARCHILD

imported post

I figured as much, just had to throw a jibe at you. :p
But yes, start with baby steps...around the house, check the mailbox...etc. Then as your confidence builds and you are more comfortable, then go for it. ONLY...after you are sure you know the laws well enough to defend yourself in any encounters you may have.

DanM

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
But yes, start with baby steps...around the house, check the mailbox...etc.

I would add, at any point before or during the baby steps, attending an OC get-together is a GREAT confidence booster. In fact, the very first time I OC'd was at a get-together.

So . . . baby steps AND get-togethers! :)

viperar15

imported post

Just as everyone has been saying.... Baby steps. I'm still new at it myself. And because of that you would see me ocing in and around me house whenever I am there. Out to the mailbox... I have about a 100yd driveway with 4 other homes coming off that.

I oc'ed in a hotel I stayed at for a week. Then I started showing up to oc meets/lunches. First time for info and now oc'ing.

The I was at another hotel to pick up some equipment I have there in an old board room. I took off my coat while in there rummaging around stuff with a friend there. Then put coat back on before I went back to the car.

Plus right now the other reason I don't oc all the time yet is due to the weather. Rainy, snowy, cold weather I will be CC. Warm I will OC most the time. Mainly due to the fact its hard to CC when I'm out doing the summer truck repairs and mud bogs and stuff like that.

Get out to lunch and dinner meets also. Meet people that OC. Some people you may end up as friends with too. Or you'll meet a business owner that states he OC's at his business and its ok if we do too.

Tucker6900

imported post

Here are a few things I did to ease my butterflies about open carry.

1)OC around the house and outside on your property. A good one is to mow your lawn while OC'ing.

2)Get gas but pay at the pump. This way, if your still uncomfortable OC'ing, you never get too far from the security of your vehicle.

3)OC in groups of three or more. I found this to be the best exercise. I was more comfortable knowing I wasnt the center of attention.

It didnt take long for OC to be routine for me. It took my brother a while longer, but each person is different.