• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Our right under siege' Letter to the Editor, Door County Advocate

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090211/ADV06/902110501/2014/adv

Our right to keep and bear arms is under siege at all levels of government. The new administration has raised the hopes of success of the petty tyrants among our neighbors with its promises of change.

May we of Door County convince our Board of Supervisors to recognize and acknowledge Section 25 of Article I of the Constitution of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States by petition? Here are some words that might be sent to the board by all concerned citizens. I have sent my resolution request and will send it again.

Whereas, Door County of Wisconsin affirms that the people have the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting and recreation or any other lawful purpose,

Be it resolved that open carry is not an unlawful means to exercise these rights, and that no one may restrict the lawful exercise of these constitutionally protected individual rights.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island

GJD

imported post

Ha, first reply to your comments were to apply for a concealed weapons permit. Had to set him straight.

Good letter to the editor.

opusd2

imported post

Since I normally don't read the Aggravate because it's an overpriced bird cage liner primarily catering to tourism, I didn't see it until now. But at least my expectations at the responses you received were accurate. It's so cute how people will sidestep the real issue at hand by comparing personal protection with Doomsday rhetoric.

Insert yawn here.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090211/ADV06/902110501/2014/adv

Our right to keep and bear arms is under siege at all levels of government. The new administration has raised the hopes of success of the petty tyrants among our neighbors with its promises of change.

May we of Door County convince our Board of Supervisors to recognize and acknowledge Section 25 of Article I of the Constitution of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States by petition? Here are some words that might be sent to the board by all concerned citizens. I have sent my resolution request and will send it again.

Whereas, Door County of Wisconsin affirms that the people have the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting and recreation or any other lawful purpose,

Be it resolved that open carry is not an unlawful means to exercise these rights, and that no one may restrict the lawful exercise of these constitutionally protected individual rights.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island

I have read the above and the associated comments left by the readers of the linked article... and not one of them conceived of the need/right to defend oneself in their own State, County, City, Neighborhood, or Residence.

That is absolutely appalling!

Is there NO CRIME is Door County? Why has this not be spread by ALL of our various news outlets that we have a County in this great Country in which NO CRIME is committed by anyone-- All have absolute trust in each other and NO ONE violates the rights of another. WOW. Just WOW!

Mr. Krause.... move from your community to DOOR COUNTY!

Here is the comment I left after signing up.....

"After reading Mr. Huffman's article and then reading ALL the comments made I find it amazing that no one in Door County (based upon the comments left) understands that the right to keep and bear arms allows us to defend ourselves and our families should we come under attack, not from a foreign enemy of our Country but from the drugged up dirtbag from 2 streets over bend upon rape and mayhem to suport a drug habit, or the burgler who was unlucky enough to burgle a home that was occupied.
Our right to keep and bear arms is not granted to us by the 2nd ammendment of the US Constitution--- it predates that great document. IT IS GUARANTEED as part of the Bill of Rights."

edited to correct the spelling of "County" and to and my comments made to the paper.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In regards to comment's to Doug's newspaper editorial: It amazes me how so few Wisconsin resident's even know Article I section 25 of the Wisconsin constitution even exists. Whenever the subject cones up on RKBA it is invaribly directed to the U.S. Constitution Second amendment. Open carry in Wisconsin is not about Federal rights. It is about State's rights and the rights of the people of that State. It is not about demographics. It is about the exercise of those rights statewide. I got a similar response As Doug did when I presented the question of open carry to the local district attorney "Why would you want to carry a firearm in xxxxxx county? We have a peaceful county". Yeah right. Our county is within a 45 minute drive from the twin cities. When I first moved here in 1972 you had to search hard to find the crime report in the county newspaper. now it takes up a whole page. They just don't get it do they? times are changing. The respect for human property and life is going down the toilet. The same people that would ignore Article I section 25 are the same people that would scream and be irate if Article I section 3 (Free speech) was ignored on the argument it isn't needed bcause nobody says an unkind word.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
snip...

There is another 'Mr. Sparky' on the web, a sponsor of the Neal Boortz streaming audio/radio show out of Atlanta's WSB.

What you say here may be true... I have no knowledge of such. And I am not he, so you are correct in saying "another."

You don't have to call me Mr. In fact I much prefer the given name of Joe.

And thanks.

JoeSparky