• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording an LEO in Portland

FREEDOM_FOREVER

imported post

A couple of months agoa mans video recorder was seized from him while recording Portland PD.

Read the article here http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2008/09/_by_aimee_green_after.html

The deputy city attorney issued this statement after the man considered filling suit.(complete with nifty flow chart)

http://www.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2008/12/04/1228423851_portland_s_final_letter_on_video_policy_change_12-2-08.pdf

I figured this may be of interest to those of you who chose to carry a recording device when open carrying.

GJD

imported post

At least the district attorney knows how to read a law book. It amazes me how many times police cite someone for something but cannot figure out how to read the whole paragraph. They stop reading when they've got what they want. ".... must receive permission to record.................except in a a public place...." not that hard.

adamsesq

imported post

Just be aware that this flowchart is an attempt to combine multiple statutes that don't work that well together. It is a guide to law enforcement officers but it is NOT completely accurate and its language notwithstanding, it is NOT an attempt to say what is legal/illegal - only what they will cite for. At least it errors on the side of not citing, but just because this says to not cite doesn't necessarily mean that an action is legal. Much like the BATF FAQ, I suggest you read the laws yourself and make your own decisions rather then rely on this flowchart to what is legal or not.

-adamsesq

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

This training advisory, however, is guidance from the legal counsel to the Portland Police Bureau. I'm sure that most lawyers are familiar with the concept of "Mens Rea".