• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DNR Secretary Matt Frank Side Steps Open Carry Question

Support The 2nd

imported post

The question is asked 1:13 into the file. Just listen to how the person asking the question chokes it out. Add to that, Matt Frank goes directly to hunting and totally ignores the "security & defense question.

Joat

imported post

At about 3:50 he says "It would be legal at any point to possess a firearm that is unloaded and in a case." Wouldn't that be a violation on the concealed weapon law? I thought that hidden and within reach was a felony.

borrowed time

imported post

Joat wrote:
At about 3:50 he says "It would be legal at any point to possess a firearm that is unloaded and in a case." Wouldn't that be a violation on the concealed weapon law? I thought that hidden and within reach was a felony.

Sometimes it seems that law enforcement from different departments have divided opinions on what constitutes a violation. Two Langlade Co. LE were at a park north of Antigo and when questioned about a handgun cased and in the seat next to you being a legal situation they answered in the affirmative. Also ammo could be located next to cased weapon, in their opinion.

Understanding the law in this state is a great challenge, traveling to different areas, be careful of what the local PD constitutes as legal. I think handguns are lumped in with laws regarding long guns, which is maybe the way it should be done. Would take some of the confusion away, hopefully.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Joat wrote:

If it is unloaded and cased, then it is nothing more than a ROCK (hand gun) or a BAT (Rifle). The Wisconsin State Supreme Court specifically asked Assistant AG Kassel if one could carry a loaded gun out side the State building in Madison. The Assistant AG answered YES! So I can carry (loaded) downtown Madison, but not in my yard at 3:00 PM on Friday the day before the 9-day gun deer season starts.

Does anybody know how we could challenge the Constitutionality of this via the courts without having to get arrested first?