• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill to require concealment of a handgun in Connecticut

minus

imported post

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/TOB/H/2009HB-06457-R00-HB.htm

(c) (1) Any person carrying a pistol or revolver upon his or her person in accordance with the provisions of this section, shall conceal such pistol or revolver. (2) The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty.[/u]

LKB3rd

imported post

That is H.B. 6457. I have already called my representative, and state senator about this, and senator Meyer's aide said it has been "raised" which I think means it is in comittee. She said that if it makes it through that it will have a public hearing, and I'd like to go if I can get the day off of work, and I'd strongly encourage anyone else who is able to do so to do the same. You can get the contact info for your state representative and senator here : http://www.cga.ct.gov/maps/townlist.asp Please call, and email them. I used the reasoning that this is a "fix for a problem that doesn't exist" in my brief message, but was thinking that it might be helpful if they were aware that The dps has ongoing cases over this, which if the law is carried out properly they will likely lose. So, they are now attempting to trump that by getting the law changed. I may also emphasize that they have been enforcing a non-law which mirrors the bill that they have now proposed.
H.B. No. 6457 (RAISED) PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY. 'AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS', to require gun show promoters to notify the Commissioner of Public Safety of any planned gun show; to mandate annual firearms safety refresher courses for bail enforcement agents, professional bondsmen and surety bail bond agents; to require that certain firearms and criminal justice course instructors be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety; to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production; to change the blood alcohol limit for the offense of carrying a firearm while intoxicated to achieve parity with the level for the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated; and to require the concealment of a pistol or revolver when carried upon the person, with certain exemptions. We OPPOSE the provision on Concealed Carry. The system we have now, if ALL law-enforcement personnel were to exercise good judgment, is adequate. Showing the outline of a firearm or inadvertently showing due to a shirt rising and then being charged, revocation of permit, court costs, etc. is inappropriate and not threatening or a threat to public safety however perceived by the viewer. Many exemptions will need to be addressed should this bill progress. Why is the CSP pursuing this concept when they have arrested without the law? Additionally, court cases are still current and the legislature normally doesn’t address issues that are pending and not judicially resolved. Penalty: Any person violating any provision of subsection (c) [Concealed Carry] of section 29-35, as amended by this act, shall be guilty of a class C misdemeanor. E-mail, and Write, and Phone Call YOUR State Legislators!

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Here are the email address of the members of the Public Safety and Security Committee. I have sent about four emails to the members but haven't received a single response from any of them. I plan on sending a snail mail letter to each of them now. For those of us who open carry print out this proposed bill and carry it with you for proof that open carry is currently legal.

anthony.damelio@housegop.ct.gov; anthony.guglielmo@cga.ct.gov; betty.boukus@cga.ct.gov; christopher.caruso@cga.ct.gov; clark.chapin@housegop.ct.gov; daily@senatedems.ct.gov; ed.jutila@cga.ct.gov; ernest.hewett@cga.ct.gov; hector.robles@cga.ct.gov; jason.perillo@housegop.ct.gov; jim.shapiro@cga.ct.gov; karen.jarmoc@cga.ct.gov; linda.orange@cga.ct.gov; lou.esposito@cga.ct.gov; minnie.gonzalez@cga.ct.gov; peggy.sayers@cga.ct.gov; penny.bacchiochi@housegop.ct.gov; stephen.dargan@cga.ct.gov; steve.mikutel@cga.ct.gov; stillman@senatedems.ct.gov; timothy.larson@cga.ct.gov

uskrusader

imported post

SUBJ: Please oppose this frivolous attack on our Second Ammendment Rights

Dear Legistlators,

-------------------------------

H.B. No. 6457 (RAISED) PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY. 'AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS'AGENTS', to require gun show promoters to notify the Commissioner of Public Safety of any planned gun show; to mandate annual firearms safety refresher courses for bail enforcement agents, professional bondsmen and surety bail bond agents; to require that certain firearms and criminal justice course instructors be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety; to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production; to change the blood alcohol limit for the offense of carrying a firearm while intoxicated to achieve parity with the level for the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated; ...

...and to require the concealment of a pistol or revolver when carried upon the person, with certain exemptions.

-------------------------------

Please OPPOSE the provision on Concealed Carry. It is legistlation to correct a problem that does not exist.

The system we currently have works when law-enforcement personnel exercise good judgment. Currently, if someone feels "threatened" and reports the appearance of a concealed firearm or if the legal carrier inadvertently shows the firearm due to shifts in clothing, (answering a cell phone or whatever) the carrier could be charged, facing revocation of pistol permit, court costs, and etc. for "breach of peace." Although this should not happen to permit holders as they typically DO NOT threaten public safety, it is better than making it law to conceal! A properly holstered pistol carried by a responsible permit carrying, law-abiding citizen is all the law should require.

Why is this legistlation being pursued when law enforcement have already arrested people for not concealing without the law?

And the proposed penalty for legal carriers who inadvertently reveal their pistol or revolver?
Any person violating any provision of subsection (c) [Concealed Carry] of section 29-35, as amended by this act, shall be guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

Why are our God-given and Constitutional rights treated like dirty little secrets that must be concealed?
See and follow the national movement to preserve our rights at http://www.opencarry.org "A right unexercised is a right lost"

Thank you for your representation,

[signature block]

This is the draft I'm working on for my legistlators....please comment, cut and paste, whatever.... (yes, I stole from other posters)

I'm no English major, always looking to improve my writing. What'cha all think?

But, I want to send this out ASAP.

Cheers,

romma

imported post

Well I will say this: At the very least if this does get signed into law, before it does it should at least be ammended to cover accidental exposure so that people that are carrying concealed don't get branded as criminals or lose their permits because a gust of wind came along, or their shirt rode up.

Don't get me wrong, I am not for this legislation, but if they ram it through, then we should at least try to protect permit holders and get what we can... While we fight it of course.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Public hearing scheduled for Tuesday, February 24th at 11:00AM in Room 1A of the LOB.

Listed as item number 9 out of 9 items.

S.B. No. 906 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE COLLECTION OF DNA SAMPLES.

2. S.B. No. 907 (RAISED) AN ACT BANNING THE SALE OF NOVELTY LIGHTERS.

3. S.B. No. 908 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING OFFENSES AGAINST POLICE CANINES AND VOLUNTEER CANINE SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAMS.

4. S.B. No. 938 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING AN ASSESSMENT FOR REGULATORY OVERSIGHT OF THE CONNECTICUT LOTTERY CORPORATION.

5. H.B. No. 6453 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE DUTY OF MOTOR VEHICLES WHEN APPROACHING STATIONARY EMERGENCY VEHICLES.

6. H.B. No. 6454 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE CERTIFICATION OF A CHIEF OF POLICE.

7. H.B. No. 6455 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE PAY OF CERTAIN VOLUNTEER PERSONNEL.

8. H.B. No. 6456 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A STATE-WIDE AUTO THEFT TASK FORCE.

9. H.B. No. 6457 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS.