• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Buy Back

kenny

imported post

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/wanted_for_trade_one_police_cruiser_for_gun/13396/

By Carrie J. Sidener

Published: February 11, 2009
An old patrol car with a broken transmission just got a lease on a new life — as a refurbished and tricked-out ride for someone who hands over an unwanted firearm.
The 2004 Chevy Impala officially became a part of a community project to reduce the city’s gun violence at Tuesday night’s city council meeting. It is the cornerstone of collaboration between the Lynchburg Police Department, the Lynchburg Police Foundation and Churches United for Service.
Using community donations, the Impala will be repaired and enhanced. Officials are hoping that it will draw those who have a gun that they no longer have a use for, so the guns won’t end up on the street and possibly be used in the commission of a crime, said Capt. Brandon Zuidema of the Lynchburg Police Department.
“A tricked-out retired cruiser, it will be symbolic of the citizens having the opportunity to restore their personal lives from past struggles and difficult and help to become contributing members of the community,” he said.
Those who surrender a firearm at various city events that have not yet been scheduled will have their names entered in a drawing for the retired car, Zuidema said. With the exception of the winner, no one who surrenders a gun will be asked for their identification, only for a name and way to contact that person in the event that they do win.
There will be three to five surrender events where community members can turn in guns and see the car in the process of its restoration, Zuidema said. That restoration will be done through community donations. The Impala is worth about $700.
“We absolutely believe in people’s rights to bear arms,” Zuidema said. “However, there is violence and unintentional violence with people who don’t have a want or a need for firearms. They can turn them in to police.”
Curtis Roberts, with the Lynchburg Police Foundation, told city council that people coming together to turn an out-of-date car into something with value can serve as a symbol for refurbishing and rebuilding the lives of those in the community.
The Rev. James Coleman, of Churches United for Service, told city council that the partnership among the three entities is a great way to aid the community.
Chief Parks Snead said during the council meeting that over his more than 20-year career, he has been contacted by several people who wanted to turn in firearms for various reasons, including that they didn’t understand the weapon, that they didn’t want it in the house or that they didn’t want to make a mistake with that weapon that could shatter their lives.
Lynchburg has had gun surrender events, though the last was in the mid-1990s.
“A lot of people have wanted to dispose of guns in a safe, mature and legal way and this gives them that option,” Snead said.

curtiswr

imported post

Let's all get the cheapest Hi Points we can find and trade them in for old police cruisers. It'll be the official car of OC dinners.

nova

imported post

Did that article just say that gun owners are not contributing members of society?:question::question:

Chuckles

imported post

I don't want to pay the tax, inspection, registration, maintenance for an old beat-up car. Can I just trade one of my guns to them for $700?

my-name-is-john

imported post

“A lot of people have wanted to dispose of guns in a safe, mature and legal way and this gives them that option,” Snead said.

dude! give them to me! I'm safe, I'm legal, (I don't know about mature)

We should orginize a VCDL "gun buy" program I'll buy anyones guns for $100 bucks, as long as they're nice :D

my-name-is-john

imported post

TFred wrote:
Good excuse to plug Delegate Cole's buyback bill!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+sum+HB2528

:)

It's out of the House, hopefully will pass the Senate. Should be a no-brainer in these days of tight budgets.

TFred

OMG NO! I stood at a gun buy back in Newport News a while back and offered people $100 cash instead of the gift card they were giving a way. I picked up a nice rifle and "almost" got a beautiful Winchester 94, but the old lady just wouldn't budge :(

That bill will ruin my plans!

TFred

imported post

my-name-is-john wrote:
TFred wrote:

It's out of the House, hopefully will pass the Senate. Should be a no-brainer in these days of tight budgets.

TFred
OMG NO! I stood at a gun buy back in Newport News a while back and offered people $100 cash instead of the gift card they were giving a way. I picked up a nice rifle and "almost" got a beautiful Winchester 94, but the old lady just wouldn't budge :(

Nothing in the bill would prevent you from doing this. It just requires that 1) localities have a local legislative body authorize the buy-back by passing a local ordinance, and 2) any guns that are "bought back" will be offered at auction to FFLs, rather than destroyed outright.

Nothing in the bill regulates the procedure for implementing the buy-back.

TFred

leprechaun117

imported post

my-name-is-john wrote:
TFred wrote:

It's out of the House, hopefully will pass the Senate.  Should be a no-brainer in these days of tight budgets.

TFred

OMG NO!  I stood at a gun buy back in Newport News a while back and offered people $100 cash instead of the gift card they were giving a way.  I picked up a nice rifle and "almost" got a beautiful Winchester 94, but the old lady just wouldn't budge :(

Sadly, they would much rather have the cash, I bet most would do it for $50. A friends dad owns a supermarket in a bad part of town. He worked there as a teenager and bought food stamps off people for dirt. They would rather have $10 cash than $100 in food stamps.

richarcm

imported post

What if the guns that they get from these programs ARE from criminals or potential criminals BUT these criminals have more than one gun? I would assume that most seasoned criminals would have more than one gun.

These programs are so ridiculous. It's all about PR. Image is everything. Nobody cares about actual statistics anymore.

richarcm

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
my-name-is-john wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

Sadly, they would much rather have the cash, I bet most would do it for $50. A friends dad owns a supermarket in a bad part of town. He worked there as a teenager and bought food stamps off people for dirt. They would rather have $10 cash than $100 in food stamps.
I can't imagine why that would be..... :quirky

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chuckles wrote:
I don't want to pay the tax, inspection, registration, maintenance for an old beat-up car. Can I just trade one of my guns to them for $700?

If they are not selling it to you, what is the tax rate?

Also, isn't there about $400.00 worth of scrap in a car?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

my-name-is-john wrote:

Why? The buybacks will still be offering $x for a gun. They just will not be able to destroy them anymore. All you have to do is offer $x+y. They get more money they will sell to you.

suntzu

imported post

just give up your guns and everyone will be safer, and look--we'll even be gracious enough to give you a shiny gift card for $50 to boot...what a crock of ****, and the sad thing is--people actually buy into this garbage they are fed by these uncaring politicians...

why can't gun owners run a gun "buy back" program? Or can they?