• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Founding Fathers Quotes

YllwFvr

imported post

I see Open Carry is often in the news, and I very much enjoy the positive media attention our movement is getting. On that note I thought it might be a good ideato post somequotes from the people who created our nation on the subject. Some of the questions raisedbythe antis or just people who are unsure of those of us who exercise our right to bear and carry arms can be addressed by the words and beliefs that shaped the nation we have become.

The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.
---Albert Gallantin Oct 7, 1789

Gallatin's use of the words "some rights," doesn't mean some of the rights in the Bill of Rights, rather there are many rights not enumerated by the Bill of Rights, those rights that are listed are being established as unalienable.

Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
---Tenche Coxe Feb. 20, 1788

W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.
---Richard Henry Lee 1788

W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers.

---George Mason

[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full possession of them.

That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided as far as the circumstances and protection of the community will admit; and that, in all cases, the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

---Zacharia Johnson

All preceding quotes collected from
[url]http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndfqu.html[/url]

The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" ---Samuel Adams

The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

---James Madison

Preceding quotes obtained from
[url]http://www.godseesyou.com/2nd_amendment_quotes.html[/url]

I believe we have grown as a nation well above and beyond what the Founding Fathers expected. But I think if we stray too far from the truths they laid down we would cease to be what they wanted us to become.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

“The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.”

George Washington