Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: CCW permits about to be revoked for NO REASON

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    I don't think this has been posted yet. I'm very unhappy about it (to say the least).

    See here:

    http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/conceal...in-california/

    sigh/growl...I hateliving in thisstate.



    Spencer

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    Make a call to the Sheriff and thank her for supporting open carry?

  3. #3
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Not good! :Xsomething she should have mentioned when running for office. County Sherif! more likeCounty dictator!She needs to be removed.
    I’m proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Good Lord! :X

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hammond, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    I used to live in Orange County, Newport Beach.

    Hutchens is just fooling herself. Trust me, there are just as many guns in the hands of scumbags in O.C. as there are in any other area of equal size. Why? Because scumbags don't bother getting a CCW, and many, many, many, many decent citizens find themselves carrying surreptiously (meaning, afoul of the law) because they can't obtain a permit to carry legally. About every other person I knew in Orange County, ALL of them good and decent, hard-working folks carried (at the minimum) a handgun in their vehicle. I'm a gun advocate, so they always seemed to share that with me, LOL.

    I'm not an advocate of operating outside of the law, but I AM an advocate of not getting shot in a drive by or on the freeway system because of some punk's alleged "road rage". And believe me, it happened a L-O-T.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    JB-Indiana wrote:
    I'm not an advocate of operating outside of the law, but I AM an advocate of not getting shot in a drive by or on the freeway system because of some punk's alleged "road rage". And believe me, it happened a L-O-T.



    Yes it does! My findings are that California is indeed an "outdoor insane asylum," and what's worse, it's filled with violent punks. I've known lots of scumbags who disliked me enough to be slightly violent, and that's not even counting all the criminals. What's this world coming to?

    I will try to call her, good suggestion Dom. I actually had a bit of fun calling Boxer and Feinstein (ha!) about my displeasure at the nomination of David Ogden.

    Spencer

  7. #7
    Regular Member MI-copperhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    118

    Post imported post

    The good citizens of California need to start a petition drive to make Cali a "shall issue" state like MI, and take the power out of the hands of idiots like this Sherriff.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !" Patrick Henry

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    ANd here is the local press view on this issue



    Armed and courteous foes of fewer gun permits




    Armed and courteous foes of fewer gun permits
    Dana Parsons
    February 13, 2009
    When I opened my big, fat mouth a couple weeks ago in support of Sheriff Sandra Hutchens' more restrictive concealed weapons permit policy, I knew there'd be hell to pay.

    You know how it is. You say or write anything remotely suggesting we don't all have a right to pack a sidearm on Main Street, and the gun nuts will eat you alive.

    You write and, to quote Capt. Sully Sullenberger, brace for impact.

    So, I wrote and braced and . . . .

    Talk about a smooth landing.

    Make no mistake, they came out in force. Dozens of e-mails came in, basically arguing that law-abiding citizens who pass mandatory training courses ought to be allowed to carry concealed weapons.

    Gun nuts?

    Hardly. At least not the overwhelming majority of e-mailers I heard from. They zeroed in on the nub of the issue, which is to ask why well-intentioned citizens shouldn't be allowed to carry a concealed weapon, just in case it might someday be needed.

    In arguing that people should, the letter-writers weren't vitriolic, insulting or patronizing.

    I almost wish they had been. It's easier arguing with people if you dismiss them as wackos. I'm always willing to match wits with people who call me names. I sit at home at night thinking of comebacks.

    But when the right-to-carry people argue their case on the merits, it disarms me.

    As one e-mailer wrote: "I have carried a firearm the majority of my adult life, legally and/or otherwise when the need to protect myself arose. I neither require, nor desire, the need to obtain 'permission' from my employees (otherwise known as 'public servants'). As a retired member of the U. S. Armed Forces, a former law enforcement officer, and firearms instructor, you have no reason to fear one such as myself carrying firearms."

    Then, to emphasize his point, he wrote in capital letters: "WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS."

    He had me at hello.

    As I suggested in the last column, I get the argument. I really do.

    How can anyone dispute that if confronted on the street by a criminal intent on mayhem, it's much preferable to have a way to defend yourself?

    But I and other pointy-headed people just can't extend that argument as far as the other side does. Bottom line: I wouldn't feel safer knowing that untold numbers of private citizens that I pass on the street -- yes, even salt-of-the-earth types who have been trained -- are packing guns.

    I know criminals don't care about permits. I know the 2nd Amendment gives gun-owning and gun-bearing rights. But not even a leading conservative lion of the U.S. Supreme Court argues that the rights under the 2nd Amendment extend automatically to concealed weapons.

    In defending the right to armed self-defense in one's home, Justice Antonin Scalia also wrote: "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment."

    For another thing, California law leaves discretion on who gets permits with the county sheriffs, and Hutchens interprets the code to limit permits to people who can make a compelling case for needing protection.

    She got blasted again this week for that position, because it's more restrictive than what had been in place. Sheriff only since last summer and a former high-ranking member of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department, Hutchens has been told that she's out of step with the Orange County "culture." Given that only about 1,000 people have permits and the county has 3 million residents, I'm not sure how pervasive that "culture" is.

    Hutchens should stand her ground. The Board of Supervisors ought to be supporting her, but isn't.

    I accept that most of the people who want the right to carry a gun don't have sinister intentions.

    But if their numbers were to exponentially grow, my comfort level would exponentially drop. I don't trust all cops, and I certainly wouldn't trust the teeming masses with thwarting street crime.

    You right-to-carry folks insist you're not the crazy ones.

    I so stipulate.

    But you need to realize that we're not the crazy ones, either.

    dana.parsons@latimes.com



    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Another person who irrationally misplaces their fear on the tool, and not the criminal who uses it. Most don't usually extend the courtesy of admitting it though.

    This quote is golden:

    But when the right-to-carry people argue their case on the merits, it disarms me.

    Every person who interacts with any other human being on any gun issue needs to always remember that. Rants and raves will never convince an antagonist, but cogent, fact-based presentation of truth is invincible, at least to folks who are still using reason.

    This author recognizes the facts, then sets aside reason.

    TFred

  10. #10
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673

    Post imported post

    I am SO GLAD I left the OC for the Free State of Arizona!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    TheWarrior wrote:
    I don't think this has been posted yet. I'm very unhappy about it (to say the least).

    See here:

    http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/conceal...in-california/

    sigh/growl...I hateliving in thisstate.



    Spencer
    And yet you still live there ???:?

    TJ

  12. #12
    Regular Member mtlhdtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, Wa
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    I got out of the OC 20 years ago to the great northwet. This is exactly the reason I tell the wife we're not going back.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Custodian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Capital City of Oaks - Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    Liberal, Democrat, California. What else did you expect?
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

    Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    TheWarrior wrote:
    I don't think this has been posted yet. I'm very unhappy about it (to say the least).

    See here:

    http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/conceal...in-california/

    sigh/growl...I hateliving in thisstate.



    Spencer
    And yet you still live there ???:?

    TJ
    Trust me, TJ, I'm working on it. I can't really leave for at least a few years...ermph... I visited Utah last summer and really loved it, maybe I'll move there.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    With the way CA is going bankrupt, they may have to allow the issuing of Gun licences just to help offset their debt!!! :celebrate

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    What do you think about writing the Sheriff, guys? I wrote up a letter but am wondering if it's a bad idea, I mean, if I ever applied for a CCW in the future or something. What do you think?

  17. #17
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    What was the letter you wrote?

    I'm split on the issue. I know how apathetic people in public service can be, yet I know when irritated about an issue enough they will make a note of it.

    I'll spend 36¢ for a letter and $0 for a phonecall if it will help.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  18. #18
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    I'll spend 36¢ for a letter and $0 for a phonecall if it will help.
    Wow, just how long has it been since you wrote a letter to someone?

    :P

    TFred

  19. #19
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    Too long!

    But i do get free long distance so...
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    What was the letter you wrote?
    One stressing calmness as I tried not to spit. :-P

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Arlington, ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    "when the right-to-carry people argue their case on the merits, it disarms me." but "if their numbers were to exponentially grow, my comfort level would exponentially drop."

    Obvious irrational fear and emotionthat our basic human rights [given to us by our creator] ought not be predicated

    Every State and now DC has seen a dramatic drop in violent crime since the legislators (in those states) got right with the 2nd Amendment.

    From the FBI on DC:
    "Over the five pre-gun-ban years the murder rate fell from 37 to 27 per 100,000 population. In the five post-ban years the murder rate rose to 35. Id. Averaging the rates over the 40 years surrounding the bans yields a pre-ban DC rate (1960-76) of 24.6 murders. The average for the post-ban years is nearly double: 47.4 murders per 100,000 population. The year before the
    bans (1976), the District’s murder rate was 27 per 100,000 population; after 15 years under the bans it had tripled to 80.22 per 100,000 (1991).


    In fact, no where in the world have gun bans proved beneficial to society. With this much evidence/merit, why would anyone have a problem with the tools of my and my families defense?

    M4FNG

    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759


  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    M4FNG wrote:
    basic human rights [given to us by our creator]

    Thou speakest wisdom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •