• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW permits about to be revoked for NO REASON

jbone

imported post

Not good! :Xsomething she should have mentioned when running for office. County Sherif! more likeCounty dictator!She needs to be removed.

JB-Indiana

imported post

I used to live in Orange County, Newport Beach.

Hutchens is just fooling herself. Trust me, there are just as many guns in the hands of scumbags in O.C. as there are in any other area of equal size. Why? Because scumbags don't bother getting a CCW, and many, many, many, many decent citizens find themselves carrying surreptiously (meaning, afoul of the law) because they can't obtain a permit to carry legally. About every other person I knew in Orange County, ALL of them good and decent, hard-working folks carried (at the minimum) a handgun in their vehicle. I'm a gun advocate, so they always seemed to share that with me, LOL.

I'm not an advocate of operating outside of the law, but I AM an advocate of not getting shot in a drive by or on the freeway system because of some punk's alleged "road rage". And believe me, it happened a L-O-T.

TheWarrior

imported post

JB-Indiana wrote:
I'm not an advocate of operating outside of the law, but I AM an advocate of not getting shot in a drive by or on the freeway system because of some punk's alleged "road rage". And believe me, it happened a L-O-T.

Yes it does! My findings are that California is indeed an "outdoor insane asylum," and what's worse, it's filled with violent punks. I've known lots of scumbags who disliked me enough to be slightly violent, and that's not even counting all the criminals. What's this world coming to?

I will try to call her, good suggestion Dom. I actually had a bit of fun calling Boxer and Feinstein (ha!) about my displeasure at the nomination of David Ogden.

Spencer

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ANd here is the local press view on this issue

Armed and courteous foes of fewer gun permits

Armed and courteous foes of fewer gun permits
Dana Parsons
February 13, 2009
When I opened my big, fat mouth a couple weeks ago in support of Sheriff Sandra Hutchens' more restrictive concealed weapons permit policy, I knew there'd be hell to pay.

You know how it is. You say or write anything remotely suggesting we don't all have a right to pack a sidearm on Main Street, and the gun nuts will eat you alive.

You write and, to quote Capt. Sully Sullenberger, brace for impact.

So, I wrote and braced and . . . .

Talk about a smooth landing.

Make no mistake, they came out in force. Dozens of e-mails came in, basically arguing that law-abiding citizens who pass mandatory training courses ought to be allowed to carry concealed weapons.

Gun nuts?

Hardly. At least not the overwhelming majority of e-mailers I heard from. They zeroed in on the nub of the issue, which is to ask why well-intentioned citizens shouldn't be allowed to carry a concealed weapon, just in case it might someday be needed.

In arguing that people should, the letter-writers weren't vitriolic, insulting or patronizing.

I almost wish they had been. It's easier arguing with people if you dismiss them as wackos. I'm always willing to match wits with people who call me names. I sit at home at night thinking of comebacks.

But when the right-to-carry people argue their case on the merits, it disarms me.

As one e-mailer wrote: "I have carried a firearm the majority of my adult life, legally and/or otherwise when the need to protect myself arose. I neither require, nor desire, the need to obtain 'permission' from my employees (otherwise known as 'public servants'). As a retired member of the U. S. Armed Forces, a former law enforcement officer, and firearms instructor, you have no reason to fear one such as myself carrying firearms."

Then, to emphasize his point, he wrote in capital letters: "WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS."

He had me at hello.

As I suggested in the last column, I get the argument. I really do.

How can anyone dispute that if confronted on the street by a criminal intent on mayhem, it's much preferable to have a way to defend yourself?

But I and other pointy-headed people just can't extend that argument as far as the other side does. Bottom line: I wouldn't feel safer knowing that untold numbers of private citizens that I pass on the street -- yes, even salt-of-the-earth types who have been trained -- are packing guns.

I know criminals don't care about permits. I know the 2nd Amendment gives gun-owning and gun-bearing rights. But not even a leading conservative lion of the U.S. Supreme Court argues that the rights under the 2nd Amendment extend automatically to concealed weapons.

In defending the right to armed self-defense in one's home, Justice Antonin Scalia also wrote: "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment."

For another thing, California law leaves discretion on who gets permits with the county sheriffs, and Hutchens interprets the code to limit permits to people who can make a compelling case for needing protection.

She got blasted again this week for that position, because it's more restrictive than what had been in place. Sheriff only since last summer and a former high-ranking member of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department, Hutchens has been told that she's out of step with the Orange County "culture." Given that only about 1,000 people have permits and the county has 3 million residents, I'm not sure how pervasive that "culture" is.

Hutchens should stand her ground. The Board of Supervisors ought to be supporting her, but isn't.

I accept that most of the people who want the right to carry a gun don't have sinister intentions.

But if their numbers were to exponentially grow, my comfort level would exponentially drop. I don't trust all cops, and I certainly wouldn't trust the teeming masses with thwarting street crime.

You right-to-carry folks insist you're not the crazy ones.

I so stipulate.

But you need to realize that we're not the crazy ones, either.

dana.parsons@latimes.com

TFred

imported post

Another person who irrationally misplaces their fear on the tool, and not the criminal who uses it. Most don't usually extend the courtesy of admitting it though.

This quote is golden:

But when the right-to-carry people argue their case on the merits, it disarms me.

Every person who interacts with any other human being on any gun issue needs to always remember that. Rants and raves will never convince an antagonist, but cogent, fact-based presentation of truth is invincible, at least to folks who are still using reason.

This author recognizes the facts, then sets aside reason.

TFred

mtlhdtodd

imported post

I got out of the OC 20 years ago to the great northwet. This is exactly the reason I tell the wife we're not going back.

TheWarrior

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
TheWarrior wrote:
I don't think this has been posted yet. I'm very unhappy about it (to say the least).

See here:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/concealed-carry-permits-go-poof-in-california/

sigh/growl...I hateliving in thisstate.

Spencer

And yet you still live there ???:?

TJ
Trust me, TJ, I'm working on it. I can't really leave for at least a few years...ermph... I visited Utah last summer and really loved it, maybe I'll move there.

TheWarrior

imported post

What do you think about writing the Sheriff, guys? I wrote up a letter but am wondering if it's a bad idea, I mean, if I ever applied for a CCW in the future or something. What do you think?

demnogis

imported post

What was the letter you wrote?

I'm split on the issue. I know how apathetic people in public service can be, yet I know when irritated about an issue enough they will make a note of it.

I'll spend 36¢ for a letter and $0 for a phonecall if it will help.