• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from Safeway

Izzle

imported post

So I got this email back from Safeway stating that they do not allow firearms in their stores and that signs are posted (which I have never seen) in the front.

Code:
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your local Safeway store.

The policy for Safeway is that, firearms are prohibited in the store at any time. There is a sign posted in the front of the stating that policy. 

If you would like to discuss this further, please reply to this email or call our Customer Service toll free number at 1-877-723-3929 and reference Contact I.D 14197557. One of our associates will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for shopping at Safeway.

Sincerely,

Patricia Dawson
Customer Service Center

just_a_car

imported post

Interesting... I don't doubt your email in the least, but this has piqued my curiosity enough that I'm going to head out right now to my local Safeway to look for said sign.

None-the-less, the email is sufficient to put them on the DNP List, but I'll do that when I get home... seeing a sign will just be a nail in the coffin.

Since they're inviting further communication, see if you can get them to send a written copy of their policy to you via snail-mail or if it's perhaps available at a local store.... Or, who knows, maybe try to "go higher"?...

just_a_car

imported post

Okay, so I just got back from my little trip. I highly suggest contacting not only the customer service line, but ask for someone higher. The problem here being that they may just hand you off to a coworker claiming to be their manager; I have friends that work in tech support that actually do this. Best thing to do is ask for name and title, that way any further communication that you do with someone even higher can possibly "out" someone feigning to be something they're not.

The reason I am suggesting to contact them again is because there was no such signage... on either of the TWO stores I went to. Both the Edmonds store at 23632 Hwy 99 and the Lynnwood store at 19715 Hwy 99 lacked any signage indicating the policy that she claimed was posted. I visited two to make sure that it wasn't a fluke with one store.

I also think sending her the links to these photos and asking why these TWO stores don't have the policies posted that she seems to think are available to be seen:
Edmonds:

Lynnwood:

That said, I'll be adding them to the DNP List due to this email. If you hear something contrary to what was contained in this email, please let us know!

IanB

imported post

So let me get this straight, you are now going to point out the lack of signs to the higher ups at Safeway in the hope that they post EVERY store nationwide in a blanket move? </sarcasm>

When you prod a store like this you are asking them permission to carry. The likely outcome is a bunch of lawyers get involved and the outcome isn't likely to benefit us. Let sleeping dogs lie and carry unless you see a notice restricting guns.Going around pointing out lack of "no guns" signs is counterproductive to our cause, especially when dealing with corporate types.

compmanio365

imported post

I have carried into every Safeway I've come across in my travels and never had an issue. The one here by my house has never caused me any problem while shopping. If it's a rule, it's very poorly enforced.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I have carried into every Safeway I've come across in my travels and never had an issue. The one here by my house has never caused me any problem while shopping. If it's a rule, it's very poorly enforced.
+10

heresolong

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
So let me get this straight, you are now going to point out the lack of signs to the higher ups at Safeway in the hope that they post EVERY store nationwide in a blanket move? </sarcasm>

When you prod a store like this you are asking them permission to carry. The likely outcome is a bunch of lawyers get involved and the outcome isn't likely to benefit us. Let sleeping dogs lie and carry unless you see a notice restricting guns.Going around pointing out lack of "no guns" signs is counterproductive to our cause, especially when dealing with corporate types.
+1.

Just out of curiosity did someone get kicked out of a store? Is that why someone poked the bear by sending an email requesting clarification? Not being critical, just asking as I don't remember a previous thread.

David.Car

imported post

Frankly I think Patricia is just a customer service rep who doesn't know what she is talking about.

I have carried in no less than a dozen Safeways, never seen a posted sign, and never been stopped or questioned by an employee. I frequent a Safeway close to my home and work no less than 1-2 times a week, always carrying, have been doing so for months.

Unless you get a copy of this no firearms policy I would not put them on the DNP, and I will continue to shop there until I see a policy.

Edit: I can confirm that the Spokane Safeways located on Market, Hamilton, and Northwest Blvd do not have any signage.

jbone

imported post

Izzle wrote:
So I got this email back from Safeway stating that they do not allow firearms in their stores and that signs are posted (which I have never seen) in the front.

Code:
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your local Safeway store.

The policy for Safeway is that, firearms are prohibited in the store at any time. There is a sign posted in the front of the stating that policy. 

If you would like to discuss this further, please reply to this email or call our Customer Service toll free number at 1-877-723-3929 and reference Contact I.D 14197557. One of our associates will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for shopping at Safeway.

Sincerely,

Patricia Dawson
Customer Service Center

No signs posted at the safway in Arlington, unless I missed it!

Cougar125

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Unrelated, but I sent a letter to the Postmaster at Oak Harbor requesting they put up the required signs at the post office to avoid confusion, but that is a Federal law matter, so like I said, it's unrelated, but I am just satisfying my "posting" fix for today :).
Rather than finishing E-5 evals or doing some other O type of paperwork? :what:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I was told by email customer servicethey follow state law,I called a second time and theyconfirmed, as did the store manager and district manager.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I was told by email customer servicethey follow state law,I called a second time and theyconfirmed, as did the store manager and district manager.
That coincides with this post

David.Car wrote
Frankly I think Patricia is just a customer service rep who doesn't know what she is talking about

joeroket

imported post

I have personally talked to the head of Security for Safeway. They have no written policy on firearms, period. They do however give the managers discretion to request that you leave or conceal.

DEROS72

imported post

I have never I repeat never had an issue at a Safeway.t sounds like someone here wants to make it an issue....Leave it alone as I see most have also never had a problem.

jbone

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I have never I repeat never had an issue at a Safeway.t sounds like someone here wants to make it an issue....Leave it alone as I see most have also never had a problem.
+1 let it die. No signs, please don't ask why!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I would be willing to bet that Patricia was walking about employees carrying on the job and that the postings are in place in their break room or wherever or at least in their employee handbooks.

edited: OK, I misspelled. I meant talking or wanking... however you want to take it!

wanking? I've heard of gun pr0n but..seriously?!

:lol: