• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UPI News Flash: 4 U.S. states mull openly carrying guns

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Cowboy_Rick wrote:
Hey we're at 55713-what a deal!!!! Thanks USA TODAY!
try to get the petition link posted in blogs, news item comment section etc. Every signature counts as Ian then adds them to the OpenCarry Work Group email alert list.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

I went back to USA TODAY and the story is already gone! wonder what happened? There were lots of hits and most were favorable! I don't usually blog so I'm not all that computer literate-sorry!

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Thanks Mike, they moved it. Supposedly Blair Holt has introduced HR 45 a bill that will have devistating affect to firearms owners-I wonder if we can find out about it. The bloggers were talking about HR 45 and how it would be the beginning of the end for Gun Ownership.LICENSING AND REGISTERING ACT OF 2009 (I think).

Tex

imported post

In another forum I have just read that 21 states have declared sovereignty against the federal government, I can't cite the source, but you if hear of any info, it might do us all well to hear about it. It would basically mean that the obamaniacs would be powerless as a federal force against the states. This could stop the north American union, federal gun control laws, or just about any of The Great Usurpers plans.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

JB-Indiana wrote:
I'm personally NOT a big fan of openly carrying a weapon, unless you're working armed security, are a cop, in the military, competing in a shooting competition or participating in a "Old West Days" celebration where you're dressed in period gear, etc.

Open carry (for civilians) tends to make the "gun shy" folks a bit nervous, at least in my experience. It also advertises to the bad guys that you have a weapon, which can be good OR bad (depending on the circumstances). It's also been my experience that MOST CCW holders receive no training nor actively seek out training for gun retention techniques. That's bad, and potentially lethal.

That does NOT mean I'm against open carry, by any means. Obviously there's times when it's a benefit, like the above mentioned circumstances with guys wearing cowboy outfits, etc., security guards (I basically do NOT believe in unarmed, untrained security for ANY reason at ANY location ANYWHERE, period).

And there's times when it's more comfortable NOT to have to hide your weapon, like when it's very hot (not a real issue to my thinking, however. I've CC'd when it's been over 100 degrees with no adverse affects. Think smarter.), and in a restaurant where you might want to take your coat off, but have to worry about exposing your weapon. THAT circumstance (coat off in restaurant) is basically why the OC stipulation is part of Indiana CCW law. Ya don't want a CCW holder all of a sudden in violation of the law because they took off a coat / sweater to sit down and dine comfortably, doesn't make much sense. But it IS called a concealed carry weapons permit for a reason.

[line]

It is a real issue to me. Not to be too rude, but, how often does it get over 100 degrees in Indiana? Cuz I tell you what, it's daily in Texas between May and September. Ever worked outside all day while CC'ing in 100 degrees? Yeah, it's possible to CC, with a tiny gun strapped to your ankle (under jeans) or under your shirt. I'm a small framed guy and I can't conceal my normal sized guns worth a crap without wearing a long, thick jacket. So, in the summer, I will only carry my little Kel-Tec P32, one of the smallest semi-auto pistols available, and I'll be limited to carrying it, as I said before, either under my jeans on my ankle (sweating my self to death and ruining my gun) or on my hip constantly soaking up sweat from being up against my body under my shirt. And if someone happens to see its "print," I might have to stand before a judge to beg to keep my license and to not be thrown in jail.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

JB-Indiana wrote:
But it IS called a concealed carry weapons permit for a reason.

Actually JB, in Indiana the name of the permit is "Handgun License" according to http://aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx. Unlike most states, IN indiana you unfortunately need a license to open carry.

But thanks for your support of the RIGHT to open carry. It's not an obligation - but many of us feel that getting gun carry out of the closet is a good idea to educate the public and help secure our rights in the long run.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

jarodm20 wrote:
JB-Indiana wrote:
I'm personally NOT a big fan of openly carrying a weapon, unless you're working armed security, are a cop, in the military, competing in a shooting competition or participating in a "Old West Days" celebration where you're dressed in period gear, etc.

Open carry (for civilians) tends to make the "gun shy" folks a bit nervous, at least in my experience. It also advertises to the bad guys that you have a weapon, which can be good OR bad (depending on the circumstances). It's also been my experience that MOST CCW holders receive no training nor actively seek out training for gun retention techniques. That's bad, and potentially lethal.

That does NOT mean I'm against open carry, by any means. Obviously there's times when it's a benefit, like the above mentioned circumstances with guys wearing cowboy outfits, etc., security guards (I basically do NOT believe in unarmed, untrained security for ANY reason at ANY location ANYWHERE, period).

And there's times when it's more comfortable NOT to have to hide your weapon, like when it's very hot (not a real issue to my thinking, however. I've CC'd when it's been over 100 degrees with no adverse affects. Think smarter.), and in a restaurant where you might want to take your coat off, but have to worry about exposing your weapon. THAT circumstance (coat off in restaurant) is basically why the OC stipulation is part of Indiana CCW law. Ya don't want a CCW holder all of a sudden in violation of the law because they took off a coat / sweater to sit down and dine comfortably, doesn't make much sense. But it IS called a concealed carry weapons permit for a reason.

[line]

It is a real issue to me. Not to be too rude, but, how often does it get over 100 degrees in Indiana? Cuz I tell you what, it's daily in Texas between May and September. Ever worked outside all day while CC'ing in 100 degrees? Yeah, it's possible to CC, with a tiny gun strapped to your ankle (under jeans) or under your shirt. I'm a small framed guy and I can't conceal my normal sized guns worth a crap without wearing a long, thick jacket. So, in the summer, I will only carry my little Kel-Tec P32, one of the smallest semi-auto pistols available, and I'll be limited to carrying it, as I said before, either under my jeans on my ankle (sweating my self to death and ruining my gun) or on my hip constantly soaking up sweat from being up against my body under my shirt. And if someone happens to see its "print," I might have to stand before a judge to beg to keep my license and to not be thrown in jail.
Exactly. I can only comfortably carry a full sized pistol during the short winter months here. I wouldn't expect someone from up north to understand though.

And I don't want to hear that "carrying a firearm should be comforting not comfortable" nonsense. There is no reason why we cannot defend ourselves without being miserable!

To Jb-Indiana: What's with everyone always making a wild west references? Do you see any high noon shootouts in all the other states that allow open carry? No you don't. Just as well, you hardly ever see anyone open carrying in those states either, i.e. the "unicorn."

As far as CC vs. OC. I would rather someone know that I am armed to avoid a confrontation all together. OC could save you from spending tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees by preventing you from having to use your firearm. If you even draw your gun and don't fire while CC'ing then you could be breaking the law. Not to mention you have to live with the fact that you killed someone for the rest of your life. Even if it was a BG, don't tell me that wouldn't have an effect on you.

Tex

imported post

I've been carrying for about nine years now and the only time I've carried less than a full sized gun was after my spinal fusion surgery, beyond that I have always just accepted the weight and slight discomfort as a matter of course. I would begrudgingly accept Indiana's Method to Texas' current form, which is no open carry, but hope abounds for our cause.