• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mall as public place

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I Been following Danbus's situation in Virginia, where he was arrested at a mall for carrying, pretty much was a set up. Because he had just won a settlement from the city. From what I gathered the judge ruled that because of the city's interest in the mall it has to be considered a public place and his arrests have been dismissed. The thread is here.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21708-1.html

So my question to those who are more versed in the law here in Washington. Does that set any sort of precedent here. And are there malls that would fit the same catagory of this mall in that particular case.

kenshin

imported post

This is very interesting. I'd be willing to bet that some malls in the area DO get state funding. However, sports stadiums get significant amounts of my taxpayer dollars (even though I voted against them:(), yet they're considered private property and allowed to ban whatever they want.

Manu

imported post

On the same note I would like to ask about YMCA do they fall under public property? They have no weapon policy too I'll try to get exact wordings on that or maybe picture of their sign.....
Exact words are "No Weapons of any kind" that is posted all over YMCA under code of conduct

sudden valley gunner

imported post

kenshin wrote:
This is very interesting. I'd be willing to bet that some malls in the area DO get state funding. However, sports stadiums get significant amounts of my taxpayer dollars (even though I voted against them:(), yet they're considered private property and allowed to ban whatever they want.
I thought they couldn't ban concealed permit holders though? I am going to have to go reread that section. Sometimes the laws are so vague.

amlevin

imported post

With the Fed's bailing out lots of Banks and Financial Institutions they will be aquiring ownership interests in lots of properties like malls, office buildings, etc., as these assetspreviously held by Banks will be part of the "TARP" plan. Will this make them "publicly owned"? Now that could be interesting.

Nebulis01

imported post

With TARP the public becomes a non-voting stockholder (which itself is stupid, but that's for another thread). So even if we acquired enough shares to change policy we can't because our opinion doesn't matter.

As for the letter of the law defining it as a 'public place'... As posted above, the taxpayers own a large portion of the sports stadiums here and yet the city does not get to make policy.