• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SL County Kudos

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Last night on 02January2009 I was standing in the line to enter the daddy daughter dance and took off my suit coat. My firearm was exposed when a deputy told me I needed to conceal it I told him utah law stated I did not have to. He insisted so I called his SGT who showed up and educated the deputy on Utah laws.

I was asked by the SGT if I could conceal the firearm in light of the Incidents that happend at the school. I stated that I wanted the deputy who stopped me to know the law. The SGT Stated he would do this and also bring it up in briefing the neext day to educate his officers on the Law.

I feel that the encounter went well we both compermised on the Issue and all went well. Deputys Educated and all went well that evening

This was a positive encounter that went very well in SL COunty

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Good job.

I think there are times when it is appropriate--IF doing so will not violate law--to honor a request to conceal or at least be discrete, BUT only if everyone understands one is not legally obligated to do so.

IOW, nothing wrong with being a bit courteous in some cases so long as every admits it is just a courtesy rather than a requirement.

And getting the Sgt to brief his deputies should go a ways to avoiding future problems.

Congrats.

rightsreserved

imported post

Two LEO's Just came through not a word asked about my gun. Or why I was OCing so I had to ask and they quoted the laws or lack there of and were not even the slightest bit bothered.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Great job, Zach! :celebrateI have acousin that lives in Kearns, and she has a daughter that will be in high school this fall. She is debating on whether she wants her daughter to attend Kearns High or not. I told her that Kearns is probably the safest school in the county right now because of the police presence, and law abiding citizens like yourself.

I am confused about the date in the beginning of your post. Typo?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Yes it was 11Febuary2009 And Kearns Is a very safe school I live and went to Kearns it is a Great Community and some of the brightest students and Teachers

scorpioajr

imported post

rightsreserved wrote:
Two LEO's Just came through not a word asked about my gun. Or why I was OCing so I had to ask and they quoted the laws or lack there of and were not even the slightest bit bothered.
Thats VERY cool.

Maybe there was an 'OC Memo' that went out. Sounds like the Sgt. was more than patient and professional with you.:celebrate

I'm happy AND proud - Give that LEO a medal!

mazellan819

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Maybe there was an 'OC Memo' that went out.
Is Kearns High School in the same school district that TJ was accosted in?
Yes it is in Granite School District. I believe that that was the one that accosted him.

It appears to have been a SL County Sheriff deputy. And the ones that accosted TJ was Granite police and WVC pd.

My firearm was exposed when a deputy told me I needed to conceal it.....

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Since the school (mall) cop is the one that drawed down on TJ, I wonder if there was some sort of memo or training bulletin put out after our West Valle City Council meeting?