Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfax County Permit

Post imported post

So, I received my Voter Registration Card in the mail this week, with all the needed documents to apply,I finished up filling out my CHP application.

Went over to Fairfax County Circuit Courthouse to file.

Third floor is where you file.

It looks like they are undergoing a remodel of the building, so there are paper signs all over the place directing you towards the "Civil Intake" area.

I only waited in line about 5 minutes, but, it was about 11:45 am, and approached the counter when called.

I told the lady what I was there for. She took my unsigned original, then asked if I had the two more copies. I presented them and she smiled and said thank you for stapling them.

She pointed out that I did not mark the area about Scars/Marks/Tatoos...I had wrote those in, and she commented that she appreciates it when people bring them in typed. I told her that I prefer to type it. She laughed.

She went through each page, made sure I filled it out, and commented "Oh, you have training and certifications from other states" (Provided a copy of my Utah NR and Nevada CCW's)

I said yes.

She took my debit card, entered me into the Docket, gave me the debit recipt and a court recipt.

I thanked her for her pleasent attitude, and she said thank you back.

If you discount the waiting time in line, it only took about 10 minutes to file.

Overall, I would rate it as a good experience at this point with the VA system.

Now let us see how long it takes them to process and approve my application.

Carl

Post imported post

Can't beat a "Shall Issue" state.
    Got my in neighboring Loudoun County after about 10 calendar days.

Happy carrying!

Post imported post

I had a siimilar pleasent experience in FFX Co. It took mine 40 days.

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:
    Went over to Fairfax County Circuit Courthouse to file.
    What was your application case number near? They were at #CL2009-706 on January 20th.

Post imported post

**Number removed**

Guess I am in for a wait!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Your application case number becomes your license number.

Not sure I'd want that on the web.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

Good point. #706 is not the exact case number, but it is within a few of the actual.

Post imported post

CL numbers are given to every new civil pleading filed in Circuit Court. That would include pleadings for collections, estates, divorces, you-name-it.

The numbering sequence, or any gaps, are no indication whatsoever of the sequence in which CHP's are processed.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

Interesting.

I removed it, just in case, but,since I work for an agency that runs OLN numbers, I have never seen the change you talk about.

We do get a different type of acknowlegement for CHP's when we run an OLN, but not a different OLN number.

Carl

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Presumably you decklined to disclose your SSN, right?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    This is a gun forum!!

The privacy forum is two servers down the hall.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    I did not put it on the application, but it is on my DD214, and the copy of my Nevada CCW permit, so they got it anyway.

Besides, when they do the criminal history check, even with just name and date of birth, they are gonna get it from the FBI.

One thing I was a little puzzled about, but am not complaining about is the fact that for the initial permit, I do not have to provide fingerprints. Nevada and Utah CCW's both require them, VA required them for access to VCIN and so on.

Again, not complaining, I just found it interesting.

Carl

Post imported post

Had the same great experience at FFX Co. The clerk there has been there for a while and let's you correct items while standing there or reminds you of what you need to you don't submit it and get the app rejected. I've been getting mine for 15 years in FFX Co with no issues.

Just sent out for Utah...we'll see how that goes!

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:

Just sent out for Utah...we'll see how that goes!

I received my Utah in about 42 days, after they charged my debit card.....

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:
    I did not put it on the application, but it is on my DD214, and the copy of my Nevada CCW permit, so they got it anyway.
    There was no reason to provide your Nevada permit; could have redacted the DD form 214. All the info you gave is now a public record, anyone can copy and put on the internet.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
    Had the same great experience at FFX Co. The clerk there has been there for a while and let's you correct items while standing there or reminds you of what you need to you don't submit it and get the app rejected. I've been getting mine for 15 years in FFX Co with no issues.
    Carol Snow, who processes the applications, is about as friendly and helpful a government employee as one could wish.

If anybody is headed over there tomorrow, maybe a little Valentines bouquet would be a nice gesture.

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:
    Mike wrote:

Besides, when they do the criminal history check, even with just name and date of birth, they are gonna get it from the FBI.

One thing I was a little puzzled about, but am not complaining about is the fact that for the initial permit, I do not have to provide fingerprints. Nevada and Utah CCW's both require them, VA required them for access to VCIN and so on.

Again, not complaining, I just found it interesting.

Carl
    The decision to require and send fingerprints to the FBI is made at the local level. Fairfax has wisely chosen to keep most of the application fee in their own coffers than to send it to the FBI for a pointless fingerprint search.

Spotsylvania County just figured this out for themselves, hopefully others will too.

TFred

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:
    Mike wrote:

NOPE. NICS checks for gun carry background checks do not return an SSN - SSNs are confidential and even the IRS will not tell another government agency your SSN without complaince with the privacy act.

Post imported post

I got mine from Fairfax middle of last year. Took 40-45 days.

Post imported post

I did mine on Monday. The courthouse sure is a maze right now, with all the construction.

t11spanner wrote:
    She pointed out that I did not mark the area about Scars/Marks/Tatoos
    Funny - I missed that part - and the clerk pointed it out (and fixed it) for me, too. My application was hand-written, not typed, so you can't even tell it was missed.

I didn't staple mine, but had it all stacked neatly. I told her I didn't staple it because I wasn't sure if they needed the copies collated or not, and we got into a long discussion about how no one knows the meaning of the word "collate", and she was happy I at least had everything divided up neatly. I even printed the application double-sided (she thought it was short two pages until she noticed that )

So, if I turned it in on Monday, and it takes about 40-45 days, I should get my permit just in time for my birthday. And if you get yours first, don't tell me, because it'll just blow my day.

Post imported post

Anyone just MAIL theirs in?

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    I did mine on Monday. The courthouse sure is a maze right now, with all the construction.

t11spanner wrote:
    She pointed out that I did not mark the area about Scars/Marks/Tatoos
    Funny - I missed that part - and the clerk pointed it out (and fixed it) for me, too. My application was hand-written, not typed, so you can't even tell it was missed.

I didn't staple mine, but had it all stacked neatly. I told her I didn't staple it because I wasn't sure if they needed the copies collated or not, and we got into a long discussion about how no one knows the meaning of the word "collate", and she was happy I at least had everything divided up neatly. I even printed the application double-sided (she thought it was short two pages until she noticed that )

So, if I turned it in on Monday, and it takes about 40-45 days, I should get my permit just in time for my birthday. And if you get yours first, don't tell me, because it'll just blow my day.
    I wont tell you!

Post imported post

Okay guys, I really only wanted to express to all what happened, and to hopefully relay a good experience with the VA CHP process in Fairfax County....but the talk about privacy got me to looking a little closer to VA information.

I do not know why, (YET) but it appears that some SSN #'s do appear on a OLN return when an officer requests OLN information. It is POLICY not to broadcast SSN #'s over the air though.

I really do not want to get into a privacy discussion, because I know how deep the issue goes for some , and I respect that, so until I ever find out why some SSN's appear and some do not, I plan on only commenting in this forum about our experiences.

Now, just waiting until morning so I can make an appearance at the gun show! :celebrate

Carl

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:
    I do not know why, (YET) but it appears that some SSN #'s do appear on a OLN return when an officer requests OLN information. It is POLICY not to broadcast SSN #'s over the air though.
    What does OLN check mean?

The checks for CHP applications arw pretty much like a gun purchase check as i understand it, except misdemeaner crimes of domestic violence are not a disqualifier for a CHP. As in gun sale checks, no personal information should be returned to the dealer or Clerk of Court - and hence there should be no recording of SSNs into your public CHP file.

Again, the SSN is not required and cannot be required as a matter of federal law for CHP and gun purchase applications in Virginia, so please don;t provide it.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    t11spanner wrote:
    What does OLN check mean?
    My apologies.....Work speak...

Operators License Number

Carl

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast