• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Permit

t11spanner

imported post

So, I received my Voter Registration Card in the mail this week, with all the needed documents to apply,I finished up filling out my CHP application.

Went over to Fairfax County Circuit Courthouse to file.

Third floor is where you file.

It looks like they are undergoing a remodel of the building, so there are paper signs all over the place directing you towards the "Civil Intake" area.

I only waited in line about 5 minutes, but, it was about 11:45 am, and approached the counter when called.

I told the lady what I was there for. She took my unsigned original, then asked if I had the two more copies. I presented them and she smiled and said thank you for stapling them.

She pointed out that I did not mark the area about Scars/Marks/Tatoos...I had wrote those in, and she commented that she appreciates it when people bring them in typed. I told her that I prefer to type it. She laughed.

She went through each page, made sure I filled it out, and commented "Oh, you have training and certifications from other states" (Provided a copy of my Utah NR and Nevada CCW's)

I said yes.

She took my debit card, entered me into the Docket, gave me the debit recipt and a court recipt.

I thanked her for her pleasent attitude, and she said thank you back.

If you discount the waiting time in line, it only took about 10 minutes to file.

Overall, I would rate it as a good experience at this point with the VA system.

Now let us see how long it takes them to process and approve my application.

Carl

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Your application case number becomes your license number.

Not sure I'd want that on the web.

W.E.G.

imported post

CL numbers are given to every new civil pleading filed in Circuit Court. That would include pleadings for collections, estates, divorces, you-name-it.

The numbering sequence, or any gaps, are no indication whatsoever of the sequence in which CHP's are processed.

t11spanner

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Your application case number becomes your license number.

Not sure I'd want that on the web.

Interesting.

I removed it, just in case, but,since I work for an agency that runs OLN numbers, I have never seen the change you talk about.

We do get a different type of acknowlegement for CHP's when we run an OLN, but not a different OLN number.

Carl

t11spanner

imported post

Mike wrote:
Presumably you decklined to disclose your SSN, right?

I did not put it on the application, but it is on my DD214, and the copy of my Nevada CCW permit, so they got it anyway.

Besides, when they do the criminal history check, even with just name and date of birth, they are gonna get it from the FBI.

One thing I was a little puzzled about, but am not complaining about is the fact that for the initial permit, I do not have to provide fingerprints. Nevada and Utah CCW's both require them, VA required them for access to VCIN and so on.

Again, not complaining, I just found it interesting.

Carl

ORCGUY

imported post

Had the same great experience at FFX Co. The clerk there has been there for a while and let's you correct items while standing there or reminds you of what you need to you don't submit it and get the app rejected. I've been getting mine for 15 years in FFX Co with no issues.

Just sent out for Utah...we'll see how that goes!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

t11spanner wrote:
I did not put it on the application, but it is on my DD214, and the copy of my Nevada CCW permit, so they got it anyway.
There was no reason to provide your Nevada permit; could have redacted the DD form 214. All the info you gave is now a public record, anyone can copy and put on the internet.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
Had the same great experience at FFX Co. The clerk there has been there for a while and let's you correct items while standing there or reminds you of what you need to you don't submit it and get the app rejected. I've been getting mine for 15 years in FFX Co with no issues.
Carol Snow, who processes the applications, is about as friendly and helpful a government employee as one could wish.

If anybody is headed over there tomorrow, maybe a little Valentines bouquet would be a nice gesture.

TFred

imported post

t11spanner wrote:
Mike wrote:

Besides, when they do the criminal history check, even with just name and date of birth, they are gonna get it from the FBI.

One thing I was a little puzzled about, but am not complaining about is the fact that for the initial permit, I do not have to provide fingerprints. Nevada and Utah CCW's both require them, VA required them for access to VCIN and so on.

Again, not complaining, I just found it interesting.

Carl
The decision to require and send fingerprints to the FBI is made at the local level. Fairfax has wisely chosen to keep most of the application fee in their own coffers than to send it to the FBI for a pointless fingerprint search.

Spotsylvania County just figured this out for themselves, hopefully others will too.

TFred

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

t11spanner wrote:
Mike wrote:

NOPE. NICS checks for gun carry background checks do not return an SSN - SSNs are confidential and even the IRS will not tell another government agency your SSN without complaince with the privacy act.

Riana

imported post

I did mine on Monday. The courthouse sure is a maze right now, with all the construction.

t11spanner wrote:
She pointed out that I did not mark the area about Scars/Marks/Tatoos
Funny - I missed that part - and the clerk pointed it out (and fixed it) for me, too. My application was hand-written, not typed, so you can't even tell it was missed.

I didn't staple mine, but had it all stacked neatly. I told her I didn't staple it because I wasn't sure if they needed the copies collated or not, and we got into a long discussion about how no one knows the meaning of the word "collate", and she was happy I at least had everything divided up neatly. I even printed the application double-sided (she thought it was short two pages until she noticed that :lol: )

So, if I turned it in on Monday, and it takes about 40-45 days, I should get my permit just in time for my birthday.:cool: And if you get yours first, don't tell me, because it'll just blow my day. :lol: