• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Permit

t11spanner

imported post

Riana wrote:
I did mine on Monday. The courthouse sure is a maze right now, with all the construction.

t11spanner wrote:
She pointed out that I did not mark the area about Scars/Marks/Tatoos
Funny - I missed that part - and the clerk pointed it out (and fixed it) for me, too. My application was hand-written, not typed, so you can't even tell it was missed.

I didn't staple mine, but had it all stacked neatly. I told her I didn't staple it because I wasn't sure if they needed the copies collated or not, and we got into a long discussion about how no one knows the meaning of the word "collate", and she was happy I at least had everything divided up neatly. I even printed the application double-sided (she thought it was short two pages until she noticed that :lol: )

So, if I turned it in on Monday, and it takes about 40-45 days, I should get my permit just in time for my birthday.:cool: And if you get yours first, don't tell me, because it'll just blow my day. :lol:
I wont tell you!

t11spanner

imported post

Okay guys, I really only wanted to express to all what happened, and to hopefully relay a good experience with the VA CHP process in Fairfax County....but the talk about privacy got me to looking a little closer to VA information.

I do not know why, (YET) but it appears that some SSN #'s do appear on a OLN return when an officer requests OLN information. It is POLICY not to broadcast SSN #'s over the air though.

I really do not want to get into a privacy discussion, because I know how deep the issue goes for some :banghead:, and I respect that, so until I ever find out why some SSN's appear and some do not, I plan on only commenting in this forum about our experiences.

Now, just waiting until morning so I can make an appearance at the gun show! :celebrate

Carl

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

t11spanner wrote:
I do not know why, (YET) but it appears that some SSN #'s do appear on a OLN return when an officer requests OLN information. It is POLICY not to broadcast SSN #'s over the air though.
What does OLN check mean?

The checks for CHP applications arw pretty much like a gun purchase check as i understand it, except misdemeaner crimes of domestic violence are not a disqualifier for a CHP. As in gun sale checks, no personal information should be returned to the dealer or Clerk of Court - and hence there should be no recording of SSNs into your public CHP file.

Again, the SSN is not required and cannot be required as a matter of federal law for CHP and gun purchase applications in Virginia, so please don;t provide it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

t11spanner wrote:
Mike wrote:
t11spanner wrote:
My apologies.....Work speak...

Operators License Number

Carl
OK, strange, but in any event, we don't have to have a VA DL or show it to apply for a CHP - best to show up with the applicationalready notarized and just hand it in, no ID required.

Riana

imported post

Mike wrote:
t11spanner wrote:
Mike wrote:
t11spanner wrote:
My apologies.....Work speak...

Operators License Number

Carl
OK, strange, but in any event, we don't have to have a VA DL or show it to apply for a CHP - best to show up with the applicationalready notarized and just hand it in, no ID required.
That's what I did. I don't think even my motor vehicle records have my SSN on then, actually. I never provide it. :)

TFred

imported post

Have all the old Drivers Licenses with SSN as the license number been retired yet? I can't recall when they started with the new non-SSN License Numbers, but I don't think they re-issued any before their normal expiration date.

From listening to my scanner, there seem to be two kinds of license numbers, some start with "A" and some start with "T". Anybody know the difference?

My local jurisdiction definitely does read SSNs over the air from time to time. I suspect that they do it when a person of interest has no Drivers License, and they give the officer a SSN to use instead.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
SNIP...we don't have to have a VA DL or show it to apply for a CHP - best to show up with the applicationalready notarized and just hand it in, no ID required.

Just to expand and support thisidea a little,

The intake counter staff refused my DL when I asked ifshe needed it. Quite firm about it. She was very sure that not only it was it not needed,she emphatically did not want to see it.

:)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

TFred wrote:
Have all the old Drivers Licenses with SSN as the license number been retired yet? I can't recall when they started with the new non-SSN License Numbers, but I don't think they re-issued any before their normal expiration date.

From listening to my scanner, there seem to be two kinds of license numbers, some start with "A" and some start with "T". Anybody know the difference?

My local jurisdiction definitely does read SSNs over the air from time to time. I suspect that they do it when a person of interest has no Drivers License, and they give the officer a SSN to use instead.

TFred
All the old DLs should be out of circulation now - during the transition period, driver's could request that they be replaced. I hope the police in your jurisdiction know to WARN any person of interest that they do not have to provide their SSN per Section 7(b) of the Federal Privacy Act recently upheld in Chet's litigation by a federal judge as a federal cause of action to sue the police for damages.

TFred

imported post

Mike wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
All the old DLs should be out of circulation now - during the transition period, driver's could request that they be replaced. I hope the police in your jurisdiction know to WARN any person of interest that they do not have to provide their SSN per Section 7(b) of the Federal Privacy Act recently upheld in Chet's litigation by a federal judge as a federal cause of action to sue the police for damages.
Ha ha yeah I'm sure that's happening... I really can't say of course, all I hear is the scanner traffic... most often they give a name, which they can't find, and then they give a SSN, which comes back with a name but also listed as "not licensed". Or something close to that. I don't take notes.

TFred

les_aker

imported post

Is Fairfax still trying to require a utility bill to "verify your residence" along with the extra copys and things there aren't listed as being required by law to apply for your CHP?

Riana

imported post

I believe so - I used my voter registration card, though, since the utility bill is not in my name. The extra copies we're asked to provide, I'm sure, are just so the county doesn't have to spend the money/time to do it themselves.

abbkab

imported post

According to the FFX County instructions they say that you need to include a self addressed stamped envelope with your permit application. Anyone know what size envelope and how much postage?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

t11spanner wrote:
Overall, I would rate it as a good experience at this point with the VA system.

Now let us see how long it takes them to process and approve my application.

Carl

Of course it was a good experience "at this point in the system" because the government was taking your money. If you have ever tried to get money back from the court that belonged to you, it will take months with all kinds of excuses. "The person who issues you your check was sick today, come back next week."

t11spanner

imported post

I gave them a regular small envolope (the one down from business size) and a first class stamp.

Since the only thing going in it is a card, I figured they needed nothing bigger.

Carl

fairfax1

imported post

t11spanner wrote:
Since the only thing going in it is a card, I figured they needed nothing bigger.
At least in Fairfax, they also send you a letter (8 1/2 X 11) saying your permit was approved and copy of the judges signed order.

mobeewan

imported post

abbkab wrote:
According to the FFX County instructions they say that you need to include a self addressed stamped envelope with your permit application. Anyone know what size envelope and how much postage?
This is not required by state law. Hampton mailed mine to me as part of the service for providing the permit I had already paid for.

og556

imported post

What exactly do you have to provide when you apply for your CHP in fairfax county ? Also I was told they only accept checks as form of payment for the CHP is this still true ?

fairfax1

imported post

og556 wrote:
What exactly do you have to provide when you apply for your CHP in fairfax county ? Also I was told they only accept checks as form of payment for the CHP is this still true ?
They accept cash, money orders, Visa or Master Card. NO Checks. It is $50.00. You will have it within 45 days.

According to the website here is want they want:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf

First Time Application:
In addition to the completed application, you must provide the clerk with:

Two additional copies of the original completed application.

A self-addressed stamped envelope.

Three copies of your certificate of competence with a handgun (see p.5).

Three copies of documentation to verify residence in Fairfax jurisdiction. (see p. 4 and p.7).

As far as not actually giving them the stamped envelope and proof of residency stuff, this has been discussed on the forum.