• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intercity Transit still gets it wrong...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Just freaking incredible. I've got emails from the director, and person in charge of training which both confirm they understand the ways guns may be lawfully carried on the bus, including OC. So in their most recent schedule change, the published rules include that firearms may not be carried on the bus in a "manner that warrants alarm."

I don't know if I should laugh or cry, or simply bang my head against a wall in frustration at this.

I'm going to request a meeting with their director and try to get this through one more freaking time. Then I'm going to consult with an attorney and see about getting a rather nasty warning letter sent to them.

As a quick FYI, "warrants alarm" in and of itself is a meaningless phrase. A person's level of "alarm" varies based on what they find uncomfortable. The phrase "warrants alarm" comes from RCW 9.41.270 which states that a person cannot carry a weapon in a manner, time, or place under circumstances that warrant alarm for the safety of another person.

IT by stripping away the defining and clarifying language leaves themselves wide open for any person who is bothered by the mere presence or existence of firearms to feel "alarmed". RCW 9,91.025 "Unlawful Bus Conduct" clearly allows for the carry of firearms or ammunition in a lawful manner, and is the only law which IT may use for firearms carry.

As a municipal entity, IT is bound by state firearms preemption as well.

I have documents from IT staff which acknowledge the legality of carry on the bus, including cased unloaded longarms, CC and OC. However all of this is ignored in favor of writing a vague rule which will effectively confuse both passengers and staff.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I've got a friend on the Citizen's Advisory Board for IT, I asked to check some stuff out for me, and I'm going to be requesting a meeting with the director of the agency. If there is not a clearly written rule that gets published that essentially states that guns and ammo may be carried in a lawful manner that cites 9.91.025 at a minimum, I will get an attorney involved.

Anyone up for a nice get together in Oly?:p I know a great coffeeshop right next to the bus station that doesn't mind OC at all. Then we could all take the bus to Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse. Bus stops only a couple blocks from Cabela's and across the street from Sportsman's:D

ChuckUFarley

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Just freaking incredible. I've got emails from the director, and person in charge of training which both confirm they understand the ways guns may be lawfully carried on the bus, including OC. So in their most recent schedule change, the published rules include that firearms may not be carried on the bus in a "manner that warrants alarm."

I don't know if I should laugh or cry, or simply bang my head against a wall in frustration at this.

I'm going to request a meeting with their director and try to get this through one more freaking time. Then I'm going to consult with an attorney and see about getting a rather nasty warning letter sent to them.

As a quick FYI, "warrants alarm" in and of itself is a meaningless phrase. A person's level of "alarm" varies based on what they find uncomfortable. The phrase "warrants alarm" comes from RCW 9.41.270 which states that a person cannot carry a weapon in a manner, time, or place under circumstances that warrant alarm for the safety of another person.

IT by stripping away the defining and clarifying language leaves themselves wide open for any person who is bothered by the mere presence or existence of firearms to feel "alarmed". RCW 9,91.025 "Unlawful Bus Conduct" clearly allows for the carry of firearms or ammunition in a lawful manner, and is the only law which IT may use for firearms carry.

As a municipal entity, IT is bound by state firearms preemption as well.

I have documents from IT staff which acknowledge the legality of carry on the bus, including cased unloaded longarms, CC and OC. However all of this is ignored in favor of writing a vague rule which will effectively confuse both passengers and staff.
Thanks for at least doing something about it, its may be frustrating but you are making a diffrence.

Holey 1

imported post

OK I'm in.
Which day is it gonna be?
Monday the 16th or Tuesday the 17th?
Monday I can bring the wife for "adult supervision" , Tuesday she'll be on a plane so I'll come alone and you'll be held responsible for my actions.
Just tell me where and when.

GW

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Holey 1 wrote:
OK I'm in.
Which day is it gonna be?
Monday the 16th or Tuesday the 17th?
Monday I can bring the wife for "adult supervision" , Tuesday she'll be on a plane so I'll come alone and you'll be held responsible for my actions.
Just tell me where and when.

GW
I was being half snarky, as I myself am unwilling to OC on the bus for the moment, as I do not have a car. I can't afford to get kicked off IT even for a short while. Now mind you I have a letter from their director saying OC is legal, but I still don't trust the buggers.

That said if you want to come down here Tuesday and take a bus ride, I may be with another person as well with the same intent.

Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but this is the only bus system I ride that I don't OC on until I get things straightened out with their public policy, mainly so I can keep getting to work everyday...

Holey 1

imported post

Sounds like I'd have to behave myself.
You do understand you're takin' all the fun out of this don'cha?
Here I thought I was gonna get off leash for a while and blame it on you when the wife gets home. Com'on, be honest, she got to you didn't she. She called and warned ya right?
OK since I gotta be good anyway I might as well stay here and wire the new addition so L&I can do their inspection thang next week.
I'm gonna be in town for a few more weeks, are there any meet & greets or lunches planned for this month? I'm itchin' to get out for a day, off leash if possible.

GW

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Holey 1 wrote:
Sounds like I'd have to behave myself.
You do understand you're takin' all the fun out of this don'cha?
Here I thought I was gonna get off leash for a while and blame it on you when the wife gets home. Com'on, be honest, she got to you didn't she. She called and warned ya right?
OK since I gotta be good anyway I might as well stay here and wire the new addition so L&I can do their inspection thang next week.
I'm gonna be in town for a few more weeks, are there any meet & greets or lunches planned for this month? I'm itchin' to get out for a day, off leash if possible.

GW
If ya want to come down, a couple of us are having pizza at an OC friendly joint.

Now mind you just because I'm tiptoeing around this issue (I'm probably gonna get a lawyer involved as the next step) out of my overly careful behavior...

Anyway, come on down and have some pizza! Drop me a PM for more info.