• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No open carry for < 21 y/o?

delta246

imported post

just do what im doing, im going to tmcc and gettin my crim just degree, ill have a few years of SAR under my belt then this summer im going to appy for a reserve deputy with washoe county

gunrunner1911

imported post

I just wonder now if was the help or there CCW instructor that was so well informed of the law? There are a few I know of that have had Rock Islands for sale last couple of shows. I did see a nice compact style with some extras like beaver tail and extended safety for around $450 -$500. These are dealers so you would run into the 21 issue. A friend of mine has sold no less than 30 of these and owned a couple for personal use. My only issue with them is the GI platform issues like sights and hammer bite NOTHING with operation or quality.

How close to 21 are you? You can take the course up to one year prior hold the certificate and turn in right after your Bday. Try Semper Firearms he also works with an FFL called Maccabee Arms and has setr up some great deals on guns for people. The prices were as good or better than the big boys.

calmp9

imported post

Calvin_the_Bold wrote:
I went into Silver State Arms in Reno today, and I asked to look at a 1911, the guy asked me if I was 21, and I said 20. He then said that I can't touch the pistol. I then said , "I can buy pistols from private parties, but I can't touch a pistol here?" He then said that if I were to buy a pistol while under the age of 21 from a PRIVATE party, that there would be felony charges for me and the private party selling.

I then said that NRS allows open carry at 18, and he said "Nope, federal law prohibits under 21 OC, and therefore any Nevada law that says otherwise is void."  I was shocked by this.

He also said that anyone under 21 cannot own a pistol, even if given to them by their parents, and cannot shoot a pistol unless their parent is there or they have a  note saying that they can shoot it.

I promptly left, probably never to go back there again unless he is correct, which I'm 98% sure he is mistaken...

What's the real law on this? (With links to Federal laws, as I know NRS allows it)

ninjaedit: first post here :)

I've been in there before. Seemed okay to me, but I didn't really talk to them. My brother was looking at a revolver and was doing most of the talking. They don't allow loaded firearms in there. There's a sign posted.