• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No open carry for < 21 y/o?

Calvin_the_Bold

imported post

I went into Silver State Arms in Reno today, and I asked to look at a 1911, the guy asked me if I was 21, and I said 20. He then said that I can't touch the pistol. I then said , "I can buy pistols from private parties, but I can't touch a pistol here?" He then said that if I were to buy a pistol while under the age of 21 from a PRIVATE party, that there would be felony charges for me and the private party selling.

I then said that NRS allows open carry at 18, and he said "Nope, federal law prohibits under 21 OC, and therefore any Nevada law that says otherwise is void." I was shocked by this.

He also said that anyone under 21 cannot own a pistol, even if given to them by their parents, and cannot shoot a pistol unless their parent is there or they have a note saying that they can shoot it.

I promptly left, probably never to go back there again unless he is correct, which I'm 98% sure he is mistaken...

What's the real law on this? (With links to Federal laws, as I know NRS allows it)

ninjaedit: first post here :)

775Sabot775

imported post

Here let him chew on this. FFL Dealers are just covering their but because Federal Law is all over them like White on Rice. http://www.opencarry.org/nv.html It is perfectly legal for you to own, and OC your Firearm, you can even get your CCW a few month's prior to your 21st Birthday, the people at Silver State are not very friendly exept the lady, and They are wrong. The only thing that you could not legally do inside of a gunshop is purchase handgun ammo, and have your pistol repaired by them, because they must under federal law return it to someone 21 years of age. Other than that you should be able to handle and check out any firearm they have on sale. If you wanna check out pistols go to Bizarre gun's Clint will help ya.

Calvin_the_Bold

imported post

I went into Bizarre, and they were lolexpensive.

If I can't find the pistol I want at the Big Reno Show in 2 months, I'll just get it off the internet.

I'm not going into silver state arms again

775Sabot775

imported post

Bizzarre is wack expensive I know. GL with your pistol hunt If you have any other questions let me know I will be glad to help ya, I'f I dont know the answer I'll dig it up for you! And good on ya Silver State is full of ignorance. Check out Nevada Armory they go a 1911 SA .45 ACP for $530 Can't beat it!

Calvin_the_Bold

imported post

I'm sure you've been reading multiple days about them, have read comments from hundreds of owners, right? In my week and a half of reading on RIA, (Most the day at that), I have not heard a single bad thing about their performance, except from people that say that the only real 1911 cost $1000+

/rant

775Sabot775

imported post

lol yea that's why I said who am I to juge I would rather have the real deal though, not that I dont like them, it's just meh. it's the same scrutiny the Bersa Thunder Gets for being cheap, of course someone is going to think cheap price = bad quality! Not always the case the BERSA Thunder is an excellent weapon. And let me ask you this have you ever had a bad experience with gun trader>?

delta246

imported post

yeah i stopped going to silver state arms because they are so anal about alot of thing but i did pick up my colt hbar for a damm good price there

Calvin_the_Bold

imported post

delta246 wrote:
yeah i stopped going to silver state arms because they are so anal about alot of thing but i did pick up my colt hbar for a damm good price there

aren't you the guy that rides around on his bike while OC? I thought of you when I was in the store trying to get through the thick skull :p

edit
nvm, thats a different guy, you just were in his stopped by a cop thread

oh well

they did have ok prices, but the internet still has better prices....