• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who in FL wants to form a group to get OC moving on Florida>

blacksharkL82

imported post

Not to be an butt head, but what is wrong with Fl. laws?

We have a right to carry, with a permit, AKA CCW.

Very open about guns and shooting. Leave it in the car, law. Which I don't.

Stand your ground, law. Which I do.

Pretty much not a hard core anti state.

I like it here and our laws suite me just fine, with one exception, OPEN CARRY, is a no no.

It's kinda hard to hide a 1911, under a tee shirt.

I have to wear a much larger shit than a fitted one.

So, te;ll me what's wrong.

glock4me

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
What's sad is that I have an open carry lawsuit that I'm close to having completed, but I'm reluctant to file it because of the backlash, attacks and negative treatment I'd receive from Florida gun owners.
I would love to have OC in florida. I went to GA a couple weeks ago and OC the whole time I was there.

Prometheus

imported post

blacksharkL82 wrote:
Not to be an butt head, but what is wrong with Fl. laws?

<snip>

So, te;ll me what's wrong.
Go back and read my and smoking357's post's.

Florida is still in the dark ages of gun laws compared to most states. Sure Florida took the lead for a bit two decades ago but Florida has stood still since then while the rest of the country is moving forward.

I had to move from Florida to realize how crappy Florida gun laws are in comparison to most of the other states.

I was like you 8 years ago. Having lived in PA and IN and regularly going to TN and KY it really opened my eyes. Not to mention all the friends who travel to AZ/NV, lol.

OC is just a small part of the problem with Florida gun laws.

Again you want to really open your eyes, go look up the laws in Pennsylvania and especially look up Vermont's gun laws. Indiana (where I currently reside) is better than Florida but could definitely be better than it is. Heck even New Hampshire has better gun laws than Florida! :lol:

The more I move and visit the rest of this country and the world the more I realize people are stuck into thinking their city/state is the "best" or some sort of "top dog" in certain areas.

You really want to see some back woods idiots when it comes to city pride? Go to chicago, lol.

Bottom line? I'm a Florida native who wants to come home. I want to improve my home by having it fall in line with the Constitution. Whats so wrong about that?

blacksharkL82

imported post

I think I would like OC, but I don't live in the propper state.

I came from NJ, where I applied and was not approved to carry, even being a SPL PO.

Gave up the temp badge and moved to where they allow me to live in safety.

Her, in Fl., carring my 1911, under a shirt, is pretty hard to hide. My only complaint, so far. Printing, a big problem. I've been warned too many times, with a smile from the POs.

Too old and fussy to move, now.

I carry at least 2 at a time and with shorts and Tees, it's hard to not show/print. LOL

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Hello Floridians.

I live in CT where OC is perfectly legal, unfortunately the masses and LEO's DO NOT KNOW THIS! Which can cause many problems when OCing,Here in CT.

We are following the lead of the VCDL.

A bunch of us from this forumgot together for dinner in February, and we are in the process ofbuildingour own Grassroots organization. We are well on our way.

We are a group dedicated to protecting our gun rights, we will also be sponsoring OC events to help spread the word that it is legal in CT.

I recomend that you try to do the same type of thing in FL if you ever wish to OC in your state legally. Unfortunately a petition will not get the job done. It is a good start but you need to be organized to attempt to persuade law makers to see things your way.

Good luck and keep fighting to change your laws!!!

Chip Maker

imported post

I'm from Florida, and recently moved to NM. I thought Florida tried the OC law back in the 80s, when they enacted the CC law, but recinded it because there were too many incidents of folks getting into gun fights on the street. Am I wrong on this?

OC4me

imported post

It appears that open carryof 'antique firearms' is arguably still legal in Florida (if you want to group OC and get media attention, that may be the way to go).

It would draw some attention to Florida's obviously unconstitutional ban on open carry of modern arms in most public places.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

OC4me wrote:
It appears that open carryof 'antique firearms' is arguably still legal in Florida (if you want to group OC and get media attention, that may be the way to go).

It would draw some attention to Florida's obviously unconstitutional ban on open carry of modern arms in most public places.
I'm interested. Do you have a cite?

OC4me

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
OC4me wrote:

I'm interested. Do you have a cite?

Discussed in this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum17/20492.html

Am I reading the Statutes (790.053 & 790.001) wrong?

790.053 (1) says "...it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm...."

790.001 (6) defines 'Firearm'.... The term 'firearm' does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a a crime.

And 790.001 (1) defines 'Antique Firearm', it says "'Antique firearm' means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in ordinary channels of commercial trade."

So is a Cap & Ball handgun ok to openly carry in areas not covered by the fishing, camping and hiking exceptions for modern firearms? Also I could not find the statute that deals with the fishing, camping, andhiking exceptions to open carry. Anybody have that statute handy?

Open carry of an antique sidearm would be a start toward 'normalizing' the sight of peaceably armed citizens until the ban on open carry of modern sidearms is lifted.

Any thoughts?

If you do this, make sure you double and triple check the statutes (I am not a lawyer), have a large group (don't try this by yourself) and do your best to educate the local LEOs first and also alert the media. The goal is education and not confrontation. Also don't forget to check local ordinances too.

onetuza

imported post

I for one believe there should be no gun laws, that's right, no gun laws. I believe in the Constitution.

What part of "shall not be infringed." is confusing??

I am surprised at such little interest or leadership in Florida regarding Open Carry.

Count me in.

MandP45c

imported post

Guy's, you might double check this, but no petition signed via the internet is legal!

sniper1

imported post

I would love to be a part of this. I hate not being able to open carry. Where do we go from here? I am CWP holder, but have nothing against open carry as well.

rebel-patriot

imported post

Hello Everyone! I have just joined this forum today but please dont let that fool you. :)

The reason I am here is I decided this is a topic I want to passionately persue. It appears we are still in limbo from when this thread started back in Feb.

If anyone is in for the long haul, you can count me in. My PERSONAL opinions are that we will have to stage a multi year attack. The first year try to get a bill out there but mostly launch a large educational attack to interested parties and build a grassroots orginazation. The bill might pass the second go round but most likely the third. Hope I am wrong and it passes on the first run.

If anyone else is really interested and willing to go the long haul on this.. again count me in. I will be watching for replies.

Reb

77zach

imported post

I'm serious about this too. Open carry is a great preservative for the second amendment. We need to make FL a gold star state.

On another note, while i can't speak for the attitude of people in other states, Florida's laws are amongst some of the most liberal. I researched the laws in all the other states and Florida is relatively free. No machine gun laws or silencer laws. ( One source said Florida has more NFA owners than any other state, legal and illegal.) Can carry a loaded long gun anywhere in a vehicle. Can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle as long as it is not available for immediate use. Shall issue CCW. No assault weapons ban. No duty to retreat in public

Here is the plan, the correct path to getting all the laws eliminated, imo.

0. The 10th amendment , HB 21 The Florida Firearms Freedom Act has already been introduced. GET ON THE PHONE TO YOUR LEGISLATORS. I CALLED MINE, NOW HE'S A SPONSOR!. Kurt Kelly.
1. Get unlicensed open carry
2. Wait awhile, go for school carry, at least college carry.
3. Go for Vermont/Alaska carry
4. Some counties have waiting periods for handguns if you don't have a CCW, get the state to do away with these.

Really, these should be done simultaneously, but I think 2-4 will come relatively easily if #0 and #1 are passed, and we make open carry common.

77zach

imported post

rebel-patriot wrote:
Shoot me a message and lets get together sometime soon and discuss strategy. I am in the greater Tampa Bay area.

Now is the time to get organized and moving on this.

Reb

Strategy is the question. I must admit that I always to ignore the state as much as possible because I hate the government so much and it makes me angry, and am thus largely ignorant of the legislative process. I guess if we could get 200 people to go to the capitol building and protest when they're in session? Can you testify when they're in session? Can you go office to office? Letters are a possibility. Perhaps a few of us could draft a single, comprehensive letter and deliver it to gun friendly legislators, maybe a couple hundred words in all explaining how OC is our right, how it normalizes, celebrates, and maintains the right to bear arms, and how it is a very effective crime deterrent for a criminal to see someone OCing where he wants to commit a crime.

Most or all of these legislators would be agreeable considering the refreshing legislation they're cosponsoring: HB 21

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/SEctions/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=42148&

So maybe have sit down meetings with them too? I'm sure they've seen OC in the news lately as the news is hyping it up.

document.write('/images/emoticons/banghead.gif');

Knapper

imported post

The only part about open carry that bothers me is I'm concerned that many shop owners, and possibly many conglom's (like Wally, Sears, etc) will post "No Firearms" signs in the windows to deter open carry in their businesses (their right). In effect, if the signs read "No Firearms" that means no CC either.
I would hope that we could find a way to make the law state that business could restrict Open Carry but not concealed carry.. That way if the sign says "No Firearms" you could just tuck it under the shirt.

Right now it's kind of 'Out of sight out of mind' for the most part. If we adopted open carry, then they would see it, and it could limit where we carry. I carry everywhere legal as it stands now, I'd hate to see a bunch of 'No Firearms" signs popping up at liquor stores and gas stations.

Maybe somoene could give some reference to other Open CArry states about how many places (an average or percentage) began to restrict guns in thier places of business?

I'm all for open carry so long as we don't end up shooting ourselves in the foot and finding more places pushing the anti 2nd agenda upon us.
Jess

77zach

imported post

I'm not concerned about that. I'll just conceal or take my business elsewhere. Our rights are not contingent on what others think. And I definitely don't want the government telling businesses they have to allow concealed guns. They won't know if I have it and it is concealed. This isn't a big problem in the 30 states that recognize open carry.

ADulay

imported post

rebel-patriot wrote:
Shoot me a message and lets get together sometime soon and discuss strategy. I am in the greater Tampa Bay area.

Now is the time to get organized and moving on this.

Reb
Well, I'm just an hour south of you and have plenty of time.

If there's to be a productive meeting in the future, please include me in the mail list.

AD