• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

are minors allowed at gun shows?

cynicist

imported post

Me and my wife are going to the Kennewick gun show this weekend at the Red Lion, and we can't get anyone to watch the kid that day, so is it ok for a kid to go? (He's two.)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
Me and my wife are going to the Kennewick gun show this weekend at the Red Lion, and we can't get anyone to watch the kid that day, so is it ok for a kid to go? (He's two.)
Depends on the operator of the show. Why would there be any (legal) restrictions on kids in gun shows?

cynicist

imported post

Why would there be any (legal) restrictions on kids in gun shows?
Because there is a lot of interesting people in this world that think that children being around guns will either make them die on the spot from overexpose to firearms, or if they survive, will become serial snipers when they grow old enough to pull a trigger.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
Because there is a lot of interesting people in this world that think that children being around guns will either make them die on the spot from overexpose to firearms, or if they survive, will become serial snipers when they grow old enough to pull a trigger.
There are no legal restrictions on age for gun show attendance. Any such would be solely up to the promoters of the show.

adamsesq

imported post

I thought about taking my girls (7 but 3 mentally and 4) to a gun show but the thought of hours of "no touch no touch no touch get mommy and daddy" made me think better of it! :D

-adamsesq

boom

imported post

The gun show should be one of the safest places to bring the kids. Unless your kids are unsupervised.

David.Car

imported post

boom wrote:
The gun show should be one of the safest places to bring the kids. Unless your kids are unsupervised.
+1

I have been going to gunshows with my father since we moved to Spokane in 93 (none before than because we were in CA :?). Now he is back in Illinois and every time I mention a show he gets frustrated because they are non-existant in IL.

Nitrox314

imported post

boom wrote:

I take my daughter to gun shows. She knows not to touch any gun unless I give her permission to. She's only 5 and want to take down a bear already when she gets her first gun. Its hard convincing the wife though, she not as fond of the guns as me. She understands the why and how of guns, but prefers not to carry or anything... I can't even convince her to at least carry pepper spray or a taser.... Her excuse is "What if one of the girls got ahold of it". My response: "What if someone gets ahold of one of the girls."

But yeah, my daughter loves gun shows. I want to take her to the huge NRA show in Phoenix this May.

adamsesq

imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
My response: "What if someone gets ahold of one of the girls."

This is exactly what started my wife carrying. She did it on her own after a realization in her own paraphrased words that "if someone grabbed the girls I would be useless to be able to stop it and even downtown calling 911 would not get the police there fast enough before the girls were in a car and gone..."

-adamsesq

bugly

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Nitrox314 wrote:
My response: "What if someone gets ahold of one of the girls."

This is exactly what started my wife carrying. She did it on her own after a realization in her own paraphrased words that "if someone grabbed the girls I would be useless to be able to stop it and even downtown calling 911 would not get the police there fast enough before the girls were in a car and gone..."

-adamsesq
personally, I can't think of a dumber place to try and abduct a child than a gun show.
With the probability of several hundred or even thousands of people potentially carrying, it would be a bloodbath for the assailant.
Take your kids with you, as long as the promoter doesn't deny them access. (it would be stupid if they did, as these are potential customers later in life).
You'd be surprised on how well behaved your kids actually are, compared to the ultra-liberal parent's offspring.
It should prove to be a valuable bonding experience, even if the child is 2 years old.
...And what better place to bond with your kid than a gun show...?