• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sniper Rifle's, and Assult Rifle's

Majorpain

imported post

This actually happened to me about 3 Month's ago. It seems like the city that I live in Riverton is getting allot of fresh LEO's. Most from the Eastern state's and one or two from California.

I was driving around Riverton, purchasing ammunition target's etc, with my Savage 7mm, Romanian AK-47, Ar-15, and a 10/22. All in plain sight in the back of my car.On my way out of town heading towards Shoshoni I got pulled over. The officer told me that he pulled me over for my vehicle being to loud.( I didn't even know that was a problem with all the other extremely loud trucks etc in town.) Anyway I handed him all my info, and my receipt for getting my muffler replaced ( pre payed just haven't gotten to it yet.)then as he turned to walk back to his car he noticed that there were firearms in my vehicle.

He called in extra unit's right off the bat and asked me if I would step out of the vehicle. Ok so I did as im standing over my car with my hand's on the roof, he asked me what I was doing with (two Sniper Rifle's and two Assault Rifle's in my car?) I responded with. ( I have no such thing.) He then pointed to the back of my car andsaid (then what are tho e's) I responded ( Two targetrifle's andTwo Semiautomatic Military Style Rifles) He then told me (thoes are assaultrifles because they hold more than 10 rounds in theclip.) I then said to him (They have a 30 roundMagazine capacity and do not use clip's) LOLAbout thattime another officer arrived. Luckily for me I know the other officer pretty well, and he basically told me to go about my business then had a nice little chat with the first officer.

So if you are in Riverton Watch out for the new non resident LEO's, be polite to them and educate them in the way's of our state. I have openly carried since I was 16, and stilldo even with my CCWwith no problem's what so ever. I'm just wating for one of the noob's to say, or do something because of there lack of knowledge/experience/and possible anti gun brainwashing from there life's experiences.

Wyocowboy

imported post

This is the kind of thing you run into when LEO's are hired from out of state. Ican tell you the the Academy here in Wyoming does NOT teach students (LEO's in training) that just havingfirearms somehow make a person a criminal. What sometimes is happening though, is too much T.V. for some of these guys. Of course we all knowhow Hollywood always gets it right.:Dlol.You are right on target with , be polite and EDUCATE these people to our ways and customs. If they then choose to be overbearing, a conversation with their boss amy be in order and from there you may need to publicize the problem and address it through litigation. A calm head is invaluable if you deal with a badge heavy individual.:)

Majorpain

imported post

Yeah it's not something that I'm worried about because the officer was obviously new. It's just unfortunate that Firearms make people so nervous. I realise that allot of that is just that someone is unfamiliar to firearms and as you said probably watch too many Hollywood movie's, and watch CNN or other anti firearm news stations. Funny how they always focus on the bad and never seem to even mention the good.

In situations like that I tend to treat the officer the same as they treat me. I knew this guy was new, and probably unsure of Wyoming's gun law's so to him i was polite. There have been other situations where the Officer is a Prick or just has a bad attitude,so I do the same to them. I haven't gotten into any trouble yetbut probably will some day. I believe it is a very good thingfor a person to know there rights and local law'sand regulations I believe this is what has kept me out of trouble so far even when I have been less cooperative, with the few A holes we have, luckily forus not all of them are like that.

mattman

imported post

My father is one of those "Experienced" Riverton police officers, and here is one of his favorite stories in his own words:

A couple of years ago I was just finishing up on a summertime graveyard shift when a newer model car withPennsylvania plates came flaming into Riverton from the north. I pulled the guy over with the intent of giving him a warning as I don't likeleaving tourists with a bad memory of my town unless they're really out of line.

The first thing the guy did was flash me with his badge when I asked him for his license. I guess that's how they do things back east, but it kind ofpissed me off and I told him that whilethe badge was very pretty, what I really needed to see was his driver's license. Suddenly flustered, he apologizeda produced it.

After I gave him his written warning, we chatted a bit. At one point in the conversation the guyblurted: "How can you do it?" When I asked him what he meant he replied: "The guns! How can you work here with all of the guns?" as his voice actually went up an octave.

I was totally baffled by this statement and asked him to explain. As I did so his eyes suddenly got as wide as I've ever seen anyone's eyes get and then he yelled: "Look! There goes one now!!!!" as he pointed at a north bound pickup truckwith a bolt rifle in the rear window rack.

I smiled at this and welcomed him to Wyoming where things were apparently much different then they were in Philadelphia. I then gave him a brief orientation on what Wyoming people thought of guns and how they were used here. Although he kind of nodded a bit but I don't think I did much to change his attitude: ALL guns are EVIL. You know, I'm really glad that I live in Wyoming!

Bart Ringer - Sergeant -Riverton Wyoming Police Department

GoldCoaster

imported post

That's a cool story, funny thing is that Pennsylvania is one of the more firearm friendly states in the East. I guess it just goes to show what we are up against.

opusd2

imported post

After living in WY for a while with my truck, my loaded gun rack, CC license and even sweet leather holster for OC my Ruger then moving back to WI - well, it was like walking into a freezing river slowly and having your manhood pulled up into you with shock.

I think the comment "All those guns" that are around is quite funny, because no matter where you are they exist. It's just how well they are hidden or perceived by the area. The one thing I am lucky about is my dad's vacation property in north-central WI is pretty much open carry heaven. With all of the heavy duty wildlife and crime around it's pretty much needed.

Once again I lament the move back to WI. Had I known my wife's insistence to move was just a preemptive strike to a nasty divorce I would have stayed, kept my awesome job and life.

You know, the really funny thing is that a side of my family is all pretty much LEO or ATTYs here in WI, and I have yet to have the chance to hear anything from them. Then again, I am quite proud of my "Black Sheep" status.

Oh, and a good friend of mine is from Riverton and now lives in Burns. I'd guess probably mid 30's.