Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Opinions on G29 or other 10mm suggetions

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    So I do a decent amount of hiking and a 9mm isn't going to cut it for medium-sized dangerous animals, and slinging a rifle or shotgunover my back isn't advisable around here. About the largest animal I would have to worry about would be small black bear, but those are few and far between. I've never actuallyeven seen one. More common are bobcats and coyotes, with the rare but occasional wolf. I settled on 10mm auto because I'm really not a revolver fan and when shooting at a quicklymoving target I want more than 5-6 rounds. As far as I know, the only sufficiently powerful semi-auto chambering would be 10mm, please enlighten me if I'm wrong because I'd love more options.

    Anywho, thoughts and opinions? The G29 is small and light, which is exactly what I want while hiking through the woods. However, it seems awfully small for that large of a round. Anyone have personal experience? The G20 is kind of big and dumb, much bigger, dumber, and uglier than I'm looking for. Are there any other options?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thornton, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I have no experience with the G29. However I use a G27 it chambers a .40 roundwith a 3.5" barrel and I like it because it is small and relatively powerfulthe only thing that bugs me about it is that I need to buy magazine extenders for it because my pinky has no place to go so it FEELS like I have less control but it is really not that bad. The other down side is because of the shorter barrel it is harder, for me, at longer ranges to get a tight grouping.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Ohio, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    AWD I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you feel that a 9mm is not adequate to

    dispatch a 35# bobcat, or a 45# coyote why do rely on it to protect you against

    animals that are 3,4,5,6 times that size......bad guys?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Anywho, thoughts and opinions?
    Dan Wesson makes a 1911 as does Kimber.
    Colt isrevisiting the Delta Elite.
    EAA makes a few models.
    Glock is releasing the 20SF.
    S&W has reintroduced the 610 and is making a Nightguard.

    The custom makers also offer it as an option.
    Clark Custom guns in AZ will convert a Ruger GP-100 to it.

    and there is this thread that ask almost the same .
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/20939.html


    happy shopping.


    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    ^Thanks for the numerous options to look into. That's good to know because I'm not a fan of Glocks.

    truck2201 wrote:
    AWD I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you feel that a 9mm is not adequate to

    dispatch a 35# bobcat, or a 45# coyote why do rely on it to protect you against

    animals that are 3,4,5,6 times that size......bad guys?

    Good point. Never really thought of it like that. Maybe it's because I figure if an animal is attacking then it is intent onkilling soI'm going to have tokill itimmediately or be killed/injured.Most people will stop when faced with a gun, nearly everyone will stop whenactually shot, and if they don't I'll keep shooting until they do. So I guess it's because of the way I'm picturing the encounters going. With a human in most cases I'll have time or at least a slower acting target, with an animal it's going to have to be a kill on the first shot because that's probably the only shot I'll have time for. I suppose you're right and it is pretty illogical.

    But then there's the fact that murphy's law follows me like no other, so if I decide the 9mm is enough I'll probably be confronted by a family of black bear the next time I leave the house. Oh, and I'm also trying hard to justify buying another pistol. :P

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Ohio, USA
    Posts
    20

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Oh, and I'm also trying hard to justify buying another pistol. :P
    Well then, the only two reasons you need are ;

    1) I want one.

    2) I can.

    These two reason are interchangeable, or are a stand alone argument on their own.

    As for your choices when it comes to handguns, what I like you may not, everyone is different. Go to a well stocked firearms dealer and handle as many as you can to get a feel for them. Ergonomics goes a long way in your ability to shoot a handgun accurately. I am sure that there will be some that would shoot from the bench more precisely than others, but if it does not feel right, and fit you well, then you will not be able to reap the benefits of the bench accuracy.

    On a related note, in 36 of my 46 years, while hunting, and carrying for self defence I have found that shooting benches are few, and far between. So choose a quality handgun that feels good to you, and you will be happy !

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    truck2201 wrote:
    AWD I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you feel that a 9mm is not adequate to

    dispatch a 35# bobcat, or a 45# coyote why do rely on it to protect you against

    animals that are 3,4,5,6 times that size......bad guys?
    Shoot 'em in the face enough and anything'll leave you alone
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  8. #8
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    With humans there is a much better chance the attacker will stop when shot, even if it is not a mortal wound. Wild animals are another story.

    If you are not a 'revolver guy', 10mm is the way to go. Just make sure you get 'good' ammo, most is downloaded. good meaning hot! Double Tap or BuffaloBore.

    Agent99 posted the other 10mil options, be wary of the EAA, everything else is a 1911. Wilson, Nighthawk and Fusion also haves 10's, if you have money to burn.

    The new Glock 20SF and 29SF are out now. I hate Glocks but 10mm options are limited and I will be picking one up(G29SF) in a week or 2. I'll let you know. My Colt in 10MM weighs about 3/4 pound more than a G29.

    If only Springfield would make a XD 10, I'd die a happy man.....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Holloman AFB, , USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    i have a G20 i open carry with KKM compensated barrel. It's a rail driver. Man i like it. I have had no issues with it dropping anything i shoot at while hunting. I slow the ammo down a bit for self defense. It's good stuff. Happy hiking.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote: snip
    Agent99 posted
    Hey,I know I'm handsome but Agent99 looks better in a dress.

    [line]

    If Springfield released a XD in 10mm I'd get one.


    The should make them with two bbl lengths 3.5 and 5.5" and two grip sizes compact and service (with sleeve option)

    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    Agent99 posted the other 10mil options, be wary of the EAA, everything else is a 1911.
    What is wrong with the EAA? I have a witness in 9mm and it is an outstanding gun, especially when you figure in the low cost.

    They are made by Tanfoglio in Italy, and have a good reputation. They area clone of a CZ75, which is one of the most popular handguns in the world. It is just as well known as the 1911 outside the US.

    I do admit that a well tuned 1911 is hard to beat though.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Gordie wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Agent99 posted the other 10mil options, be wary of the EAA, everything else is a 1911.
    What is wrong with the EAA? I have a witness in 9mm and it is an outstanding gun, especially when you figure in the low cost.

    They are made by Tanfoglio in Italy, and have a good reputation. They area clone of a CZ75, which is one of the most popular handguns in the world. It is just as well known as the 1911 outside the US.

    I do admit that a well tuned 1911 is hard to beat though.


    So we've got one for and one against the EAA. I'm pretty impressed with the price, butopinion around the rest of the intranetz seems to be mixed as well. I'll have to research it a little more.

    The G20/29 SF is the best idea ever. Excessively fat grips is one of the reasons I hate Glocks. I'll have to see if anyone has one in stock I can hold.

  13. #13
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    EAA - you either get a good one or you don't. You get what you pay for applies to firearms too. The cheaper the price the ratio of not getting a good one goes up.

    I bought one in 10mm and it was a huge POS. Replaced all springs in gun and mag, polished feed ramp, nada. The thing couldn't get through a whole mag without a problem. Also there customer service sucks. Guy had a BIG attitude problem and told me it was the American Eagle ammo I was using.

    That being said, I did like the fit and it was accurate. I still believe it was a mag issue and I had 3 mags and they all sucked.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    I love the way the EAA guns look but they are hit or miss on QC when it comes to the CZ clonesguns in 10mm, even after all these yrs.
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/EAA...rt-t41256.html


    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Agent19 wrote:
    I love the way the EAA guns look but they are hit or miss on QC when it comes to the CZ clonesguns in 10mm, even after all these yrs.
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/EAA...rt-t41256.html




    Sounds like the stock guns run fine. From what I can gather from that thread everyone is running excessive power ammo, complaining that the stock spring isn't sufficient, then modifying the hell out of the gun and wondering why it doesn't work anymore.

    They don't seem to mind repeated trips to the smith, but I'm not sure if I could deal with that. I'll have to check around locally to see if I know anyone that has one or if any ranges have them for rental.


  16. #16
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote: snip
    running excessive power ammo, complaining that the stock spring isn't sufficient, then modifying the hell out of the gun and wondering why it doesn't work anymore.
    The ammo isn't excessive power it is full power 10mm.
    The stuff VAOC is running is 10mm lite AA 180gr @ 1050 and his doesn't work.


    I love the way EAA CZ clones look but my 1# priority is reliability.

    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  17. #17
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Have fun shopping and good luck with whatever you purchase.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    CZ Dan Wesson 1911,




    $ 1,000

    8 + 1 in 10mm



  19. #19
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    714

    Post imported post

    The Glock 20SF feels great in your hand compared to the original. They have quite a few in stock at Davidson's using GunGenie (Order online, overnight delivery to your FFL, cheap prices, lifetime warranty).

    http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/d...&sit=Fixed

    My Witness 10mm will not eat Gold Dots (DoubleTap). It had zero failures with ball until I started monkeying with the springs (sigh).

    The Glock will eat anything (so far).

    I never planned on owning a Glock until I got into 10MM, but I'm impressed with the G20SF.

    I agree with the poster who said that an XD10 would be great!

  20. #20
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    So I do a decent amount of hiking and a 9mm isn't going to cut it for medium-sized dangerous animals, and slinging a rifle or shotgunover my back isn't advisable around here. About the largest animal I would have to worry about would be small black bear, but those are few and far between. I've never actuallyeven seen one. More common are bobcats and coyotes, with the rare but occasional wolf. I settled on 10mm auto because I'm really not a revolver fan and when shooting at a quicklymoving target I want more than 5-6 rounds. As far as I know, the only sufficiently powerful semi-auto chambering would be 10mm, please enlighten me if I'm wrong because I'd love more options.

    Anywho, thoughts and opinions? The G29 is small and light, which is exactly what I want while hiking through the woods. However, it seems awfully small for that large of a round. Anyone have personal experience? The G20 is kind of big and dumb, much bigger, dumber, and uglier than I'm looking for. Are there any other options?
    I do a serious amount of hiking and a fair amount of backpacking and I normally opencarry my Glock 20 during my travels. It is full-size but not unmanageable. It is light, accurate, powerful,relatively inexpensive, it will eat anything, has a high capacity magazine at 15 rounds, has numerous options for accessories and holsters,and is a extremely reliable platform. Mine has night sights (I prefer Tru-Glo) but just about anything will do..

    I am partial to Double Tap Ammunition but I also use some Buffalo Bore as well.

    This is a great pistol and I highly recommend it.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Flintlock wrote:
    This is a great pistol and I highly recommend it.


    That's the problem. The more I research it the more I feel I should get one of the Glocks, but I just don't want to make that leap into gayness (IMO). :P

  22. #22
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    714

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    but I just don't want to make that leap into gayness (IMO). :P
    You can do what I did. Buy something else first because you absolutely don't want a Glock.

    Then end up buying the Glock anyway.

    It's a bit more expensive to go that route though .

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    diesel556 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    but I just don't want to make that leap into gayness (IMO). :P
    You can do what I did. Buy something else first because you absolutely don't want a Glock.

    Then end up buying the Glock anyway.

    It's a bit more expensive to go that route though .



    Haha, hey some people gotta do it to learn. I'm intrigued by the Witness though. I have to find one this weekend to hold.

    I honestly don't think I'd ever feel comfortable enough with a Glock to carry it chambered, and that's a big problem in this case. My P2000 is a light (~5lbs) and longDOA and it took me a long time to carry that chambered. I still don't carry it chambered with my 1 o'clock IWB (my cock is too valuable).


  24. #24
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    714

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Haha, hey some people gotta do it to learn. I'm intrigued by the Witness though. I have to find one this weekend to hold.

    I honestly don't think I'd ever feel comfortable enough with a Glock to carry it chambered, and that's a big problem in this case. My P2000 is a light (~5lbs) and longDOA and it took me a long time to carry that chambered. I still don't carry it chambered with my 1 o'clock IWB (my cock is too valuable).
    Well, if you decide on the Witness you might want to try this fellow (Hal Baker):

    http://www.gunsamerica.com/967894345..._FULL_SIZE.htm

    His price is about $40.00 cheaper than what Cabela's quoted me, and since it is out of state there is no tax (at least that's how it works in Washington).

    It sounds like you want the standard witness (SA/DA so you can carry DA first round), but you might want to take a look at the Match version as well. I've heard it's a much nicer gun. The only problem (from your perspective) is that it's SAO, nothing that an $80 trigger swap can't fix, but it's worth mentioning.



  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    diesel556 wrote:
    Well, if you decide on the Witness you might want to try this fellow (Hal Baker):

    http://www.gunsamerica.com/967894345..._FULL_SIZE.htm

    His price is about $40.00 cheaper than what Cabela's quoted me, and since it is out of state there is no tax (at least that's how it works in Washington).

    It sounds like you want the standard witness (SA/DA so you can carry DA first round), but you might want to take a look at the Match version as well. I've heard it's a much nicer gun. The only problem (from your perspective) is that it's SAO, nothing that an $80 trigger swap can't fix, but it's worth mentioning.


    That's a pretty solid price. Thanks for the link. Now if my tax return would just hurry up...

    Does the SA/DA have a decocker or do you have to manually ride it down? IMO, riding it down is worse than carrying cocked and locked.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •