• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on G29 or other 10mm suggetions

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

So I do a decent amount of hiking and a 9mm isn't going to cut it for medium-sized dangerous animals, and slinging a rifle or shotgunover my back isn't advisable around here. About the largest animal I would have to worry about would be small black bear, but those are few and far between. I've never actuallyeven seen one. More common are bobcats and coyotes, with the rare but occasional wolf. I settled on 10mm auto because I'm really not a revolver fan and when shooting at a quicklymoving target I want more than 5-6 rounds. As far as I know, the only sufficiently powerful semi-auto chambering would be 10mm, please enlighten me if I'm wrong because I'd love more options.

Anywho, thoughts and opinions? The G29 is small and light, which is exactly what I want while hiking through the woods. However, it seems awfully small for that large of a round. Anyone have personal experience? The G20 is kind of big and dumb, much bigger, dumber, and uglier than I'm looking for. Are there any other options?

Bebop

imported post

I have no experience with the G29. However I use a G27 it chambers a .40 roundwith a 3.5" barrel and I like it because it is small and relatively powerfulthe only thing that bugs me about it is that I need to buy magazine extenders for it because my pinky has no place to go so it FEELS like I have less control but it is really not that bad. The other down side is because of the shorter barrel it is harder, for me, at longer ranges to get a tight grouping.

truck2201

imported post

AWD I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you feel that a 9mm is not adequate to

dispatch a 35# bobcat, or a 45# coyote why do rely on it to protect you against

animals that are 3,4,5,6 times that size......bad guys?

Marco

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Anywho, thoughts and opinions?
Dan Wesson makes a 1911 as does Kimber.
Colt isrevisiting the Delta Elite.
EAA makes a few models.
Glock is releasing the 20SF.
S&W has reintroduced the 610 and is making a Nightguard.

The custom makers also offer it as an option.
Clark Custom guns in AZ will convert a Ruger GP-100 to it.

and there is this thread that ask almost the same :question:.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/20939.html

happy shopping.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

^Thanks for the numerous options to look into. That's good to know because I'm not a fan of Glocks.

truck2201 wrote:
AWD I am not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you feel that a 9mm is not adequate to

Good point. Never really thought of it like that. Maybe it's because I figure if an animal is attacking then it is intent onkilling soI'm going to have tokill itimmediately or be killed/injured.Most people will stop when faced with a gun, nearly everyone will stop whenactually shot, and if they don't I'll keep shooting until they do. So I guess it's because of the way I'm picturing the encounters going. With a human in most cases I'll have time or at least a slower acting target, with an animal it's going to have to be a kill on the first shot because that's probably the only shot I'll have time for. I suppose you're right and it is pretty illogical.

But then there's the fact that murphy's law follows me like no other, so if I decide the 9mm is enough I'll probably be confronted by a family of black bear the next time I leave the house. Oh, and I'm also trying hard to justify buying another pistol. :p

truck2201

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Oh, and I'm also trying hard to justify buying another pistol. :p
Well then, the only two reasons you need are ;

1) I want one.

2) I can.

These two reason are interchangeable, or are a stand alone argument on their own.

As for your choices when it comes to handguns, what I like you may not, everyone is different. Go to a well stocked firearms dealer and handle as many as you can to get a feel for them. Ergonomics goes a long way in your ability to shoot a handgun accurately. I am sure that there will be some that would shoot from the bench more precisely than others, but if it does not feel right, and fit you well, then you will not be able to reap the benefits of the bench accuracy.

On a related note, in 36 of my 46 years, while hunting, and carrying for self defence I have found that shooting benches are few, and far between. So choose a quality handgun that feels good to you, and you will be happy !

FightingGlock19

imported post

truck2201 wrote:

Shoot 'em in the face enough and anything'll leave you alone :cool:

VAopencarry

imported post

With humans there is a much better chance the attacker will stop when shot, even if it is not a mortal wound. Wild animals are another story.

If you are not a 'revolver guy', 10mm is the way to go. Just make sure you get 'good' ammo, most is downloaded. good meaning hot! Double Tap or BuffaloBore.

Agent99 posted the other 10mil options, be wary of the EAA, everything else is a 1911. Wilson, Nighthawk and Fusion also haves 10's, if you have money to burn.

The new Glock 20SF and 29SF are out now. I hate Glocks but 10mm options are limited and I will be picking one up(G29SF) in a week or 2. I'll let you know. My Colt in 10MM weighs about 3/4 pound more than a G29.

If only Springfield would make a XD 10, I'd die a happy man.....

Jizzzle

imported post

i have a G20 i open carry with KKM compensated barrel. It's a rail driver. Man i like it. I have had no issues with it dropping anything i shoot at while hunting. I slow the ammo down a bit for self defense. It's good stuff. Happy hiking.

Marco

imported post

VAopencarry wrote: snip
Agent99 posted

Hey,I know I'm handsome but Agent99 looks better in a dress.:D

[line]

If Springfield released a XD in 10mm I'd get one.

The should make them with two bbl lengths 3.5 and 5.5" and two grip sizes compact and service (with sleeve option)

Gordie

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Agent99 posted the other 10mil options, be wary of the EAA, everything else is a 1911.

What is wrong with the EAA? I have a witness in 9mm and it is an outstanding gun, especially when you figure in the low cost.

They are made by Tanfoglio in Italy, and have a good reputation. They area clone of a CZ75, which is one of the most popular handguns in the world. It is just as well known as the 1911 outside the US.

I do admit that a well tuned 1911 is hard to beat though.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gordie wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Agent99 posted the other 10mil options, be wary of the EAA, everything else is a 1911.

What is wrong with the EAA? I have a witness in 9mm and it is an outstanding gun, especially when you figure in the low cost.

They are made by Tanfoglio in Italy, and have a good reputation. They area clone of a CZ75, which is one of the most popular handguns in the world. It is just as well known as the 1911 outside the US.

I do admit that a well tuned 1911 is hard to beat though.

So we've got one for and one against the EAA. I'm pretty impressed with the price, butopinion around the rest of the intranetz seems to be mixed as well. I'll have to research it a little more.

The G20/29 SF is the best idea ever. Excessively fat grips is one of the reasons I hate Glocks. I'll have to see if anyone has one in stock I can hold.

VAopencarry

imported post

EAA - you either get a good one or you don't. You get what you pay for applies to firearms too. The cheaper the price the ratio of not getting a good one goes up.

I bought one in 10mm and it was a huge POS. Replaced all springs in gun and mag, polished feed ramp, nada. The thing couldn't get through a whole mag without a problem. Also there customer service sucks. Guy had a BIG attitude problem and told me it was the American Eagle ammo I was using.:banghead:

That being said, I did like the fit and it was accurate. I still believe it was a mag issue and I had 3 mags and they all sucked.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I love the way the EAA guns look but they are hit or miss on QC when it comes to the CZ clonesguns in 10mm, even after all these yrs.
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/EAA-Witness-10mm-Mini-Range-Report-t41256.html

Sounds like the stock guns run fine. From what I can gather from that thread everyone is running excessive power ammo, complaining that the stock spring isn't sufficient, then modifying the hell out of the gun and wondering why it doesn't work anymore.

They don't seem to mind repeated trips to the smith, but I'm not sure if I could deal with that. I'll have to check around locally to see if I know anyone that has one or if any ranges have them for rental.

Marco

imported post

AWDstylez wrote: snip
running excessive power ammo, complaining that the stock spring isn't sufficient, then modifying the hell out of the gun and wondering why it doesn't work anymore.

The ammo isn't excessive power it is full power 10mm.
The stuff VAOC is running is 10mm lite AA 180gr @ 1050 and his doesn't work.

I love the way EAA CZ clones look but my 1# priority is reliability.

Dustin

imported post

CZ Dan Wesson 1911,

DisplayPic.aspx

$ 1,000

8 + 1 in 10mm

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

The Glock 20SF feels great in your hand compared to the original. They have quite a few in stock at Davidson's using GunGenie (Order online, overnight delivery to your FFL, cheap prices, lifetime warranty).

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Glock&mdl=All&cat=1&type=Semi-Automatic+Pistol&cal=10MM&fin=Blue&sit=Fixed

My Witness 10mm will not eat Gold Dots (DoubleTap). It had zero failures with ball until I started monkeying with the springs (sigh).

The Glock will eat anything (so far).

I never planned on owning a Glock until I got into 10MM, but I'm impressed with the G20SF.

I agree with the poster who said that an XD10 would be great!

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
So I do a decent amount of hiking and a 9mm isn't going to cut it for medium-sized dangerous animals, and slinging a rifle or shotgunover my back isn't advisable around here. About the largest animal I would have to worry about would be small black bear, but those are few and far between. I've never actuallyeven seen one. More common are bobcats and coyotes, with the rare but occasional wolf. I settled on 10mm auto because I'm really not a revolver fan and when shooting at a quicklymoving target I want more than 5-6 rounds. As far as I know, the only sufficiently powerful semi-auto chambering would be 10mm, please enlighten me if I'm wrong because I'd love more options.

Anywho, thoughts and opinions? The G29 is small and light, which is exactly what I want while hiking through the woods. However, it seems awfully small for that large of a round. Anyone have personal experience? The G20 is kind of big and dumb, much bigger, dumber, and uglier than I'm looking for. Are there any other options?

I do a serious amount of hiking and a fair amount of backpacking and I normally opencarry my Glock 20 during my travels. It is full-size but not unmanageable. It is light, accurate, powerful,relatively inexpensive, it will eat anything, has a high capacity magazine at 15 rounds, has numerous options for accessories and holsters,and is a extremely reliable platform. Mine has night sights (I prefer Tru-Glo) but just about anything will do..

I am partial to Double Tap Ammunition but I also use some Buffalo Bore as well.

This is a great pistol and I highly recommend it.