• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions on G29 or other 10mm suggetions

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
This is a great pistol and I highly recommend it.

That's the problem. The more I research it the more I feel I should get one of the Glocks, but I just don't want to make that leap into gayness (IMO). :p

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
but I just don't want to make that leap into gayness (IMO). :p
You can do what I did. Buy something else first because you absolutely don't want a Glock.

Then end up buying the Glock anyway.

It's a bit more expensive to go that route though ;).

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

diesel556 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
but I just don't want to make that leap into gayness (IMO). :p
You can do what I did. Buy something else first because you absolutely don't want a Glock.

Then end up buying the Glock anyway.

It's a bit more expensive to go that route though ;).

Haha, hey some people gotta do it to learn. I'm intrigued by the Witness though. I have to find one this weekend to hold.

I honestly don't think I'd ever feel comfortable enough with a Glock to carry it chambered, and that's a big problem in this case. My P2000 is a light (~5lbs) and longDOA and it took me a long time to carry that chambered. I still don't carry it chambered with my 1 o'clock IWB (my cock is too valuable).

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Haha, hey some people gotta do it to learn. I'm intrigued by the Witness though. I have to find one this weekend to hold.

I honestly don't think I'd ever feel comfortable enough with a Glock to carry it chambered, and that's a big problem in this case. My P2000 is a light (~5lbs) and longDOA and it took me a long time to carry that chambered. I still don't carry it chambered with my 1 o'clock IWB (my cock is too valuable).
Well, if you decide on the Witness you might want to try this fellow (Hal Baker):

http://www.gunsamerica.com/967894345/Guns/Pistols/EAA-Pistols/Other/EAA_WITNESS_10MM_FULL_SIZE.htm

His price is about $40.00 cheaper than what Cabela's quoted me, and since it is out of state there is no tax (at least that's how it works in Washington).

It sounds like you want the standard witness (SA/DA so you can carry DA first round), but you might want to take a look at the Match version as well. I've heard it's a much nicer gun. The only problem (from your perspective) is that it's SAO, nothing that an $80 trigger swap can't fix, but it's worth mentioning.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Well, if you decide on the Witness you might want to try this fellow (Hal Baker):

http://www.gunsamerica.com/967894345/Guns/Pistols/EAA-Pistols/Other/EAA_WITNESS_10MM_FULL_SIZE.htm

His price is about $40.00 cheaper than what Cabela's quoted me, and since it is out of state there is no tax (at least that's how it works in Washington).

It sounds like you want the standard witness (SA/DA so you can carry DA first round), but you might want to take a look at the Match version as well. I've heard it's a much nicer gun. The only problem (from your perspective) is that it's SAO, nothing that an $80 trigger swap can't fix, but it's worth mentioning.

That's a pretty solid price. Thanks for the link. Now if my tax return would just hurry up...

Does the SA/DA have a decocker or do you have to manually ride it down? IMO, riding it down is worse than carrying cocked and locked.

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

Warthog
The original super-compact .45 with truly awesome firepower is the Para Warthog. There is no 1911-style, ten-round, semi-auto in the world smaller than the Warthog. The Warthog is remarkably controllable, thanks to its superbly engineered and contoured grip design. Add the feeding and extracting reliability of the exclusive new Para Power Extractor™ and you have the best super-compact pistol on the ground or in the air.

Specifications:
pixel.gif

Product Code Caliber Rounds Barrel Weight Length Height Hammer Sights Receiver Finish

WHX1045R .45ACP 10+1 3" 24 oz. 6.5" 4.5" Spurred 3 - Dot Alloy Regal
WHX1045Rphoto.jpg

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
That's a pretty solid price. Thanks for the link. Now if my tax return would just hurry up...

Does the SA/DA have a decocker or do you have to manually ride it down? IMO, riding it down is worse than carrying cocked and locked.
No problem. I know what you mean; I'm in the same boat.

The SA/DA that EAA imports does not have a decocker, though Tanfoglio does manufacture a decocker version.

When I used to carry it I would ride it down while pointing it at a trap, fully expecting it to discharge every time (better safe than sorry). I actually tested hammer drops at the range to see how far back the hammer needed to be to discharge.

It (manually decocking) is definitely not something I personally want to do in public. For instance, at the airport after arriving at your destination I know that some people prefer to sit in the bathroom and load their pistol before leaving. I would personally just flip on the safety and carry it cocked and locked in that scenario.

I really liked the way the Standard shot and felt. If my particular gun would have eaten Gold Dot ammunition I probably would not have purchased the Glock.

shad0wfax

imported post

Don't overlook the wheelguns.

I'm a big fan of the .44 mag, the .454 Casull or the 45 Colt (in big +P loadings fired from modern revolver frames) for a "bear gun" out in the woods. Autos are fine and dandy and the 10mm is ... adequate ... for smaller bears but the three calibers I listed are far more effective (and common in the case of the 44 and 45) than the 10mm.

You can get some really sweet wheelguns with DA triggers as smooth, or smoother than any factory 10mm will be if you're going to DA the first 10mm shot. (If it's a 1911 then the 10mm will be a lighter pull, of course.) The capacity of the 1911 10mms is 8+1. You can get 8 shot .44 Mag revolvers. Plus, revolvers often have longer sight radii than autos (at least in the sizes you'd carry in the woods.)

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

^Any suggetions on makes/models? Not being a revolver fan I really never looked into what's out there and what's any good.

PaulBlart wrote:
Warthog
The original super-compact .45 with truly awesome firepower is the Para Warthog. There is no 1911-style, ten-round, semi-auto in the world smaller than the Warthog. The Warthog is remarkably controllable, thanks to its superbly engineered and contoured grip design. Add the feeding and extracting reliability of the exclusive new Para Power Extractor™ and you have the best super-compact pistol on the ground or in the air.

Specifications:
pixel.gif

Product Code Caliber Rounds Barrel Weight Length Height Hammer Sights Receiver Finish

WHX1045Rphoto.jpg

No offence, hero, but I can throw a bullet faster than a .45 comes out of a 3" barrel. :p

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

diesel556 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

No problem. I know what you mean; I'm in the same boat.

The SA/DA that EAA imports does not have a decocker, though Tanfoglio does manufacture a decocker version.

When I used to carry it I would ride it down while pointing it at a trap, fully expecting it to discharge every time (better safe than sorry). I actually tested hammer drops at the range to see how far back the hammer needed to be to discharge.

It (manually decocking) is definitely not something I personally want to do in public. For instance, at the airport after arriving at your destination I know that some people prefer to sit in the bathroom and load their pistol before leaving. I would personally just flip on the safety and carry it cocked and locked in that scenario.

Isn't the other issue that you're now walking around with the firing pin resting on the primer? Or do they have some sort of firing pin block?

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
^Any suggetions on makes/models? Not being a revolver fan I really never looked into what's out there and what's any good.

PaulBlart wrote:
Warthog

Specifications:
pixel.gif

WHX1045Rphoto.jpg

No offence, hero, but I can throw a bullet faster than a .45 comes out of a 3" barrel. :p
lenin

shad0wfax

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:

Well the Ruger Super Redhawk is a great double action platform for the magnums. They have some "Alaskan" versions that feature short barrels. They're going to be rather heavy pieces of hardware. You can step down to the .357 magnum or .327 Federal Magnum and get Ruger SP101s that will be comparable to the next revolver I mention.

The Smith & Wesson J-Frame are for .38 +P and/or .357 Magnum (and .38 spcl) and are the same profile as the Ruger SP101s. They're great wheelguns but they're a bit on the smaller side (like the SP101) intended for CC or lighter frame OC guns. You can step up into the full size K or LFrames if you want. (They're "medium" frames according to S&W)

For the bigger wheelguns (very heavy) the Ruger Super Redhawks and the S&W N Frames are the ticket. This is where you get into the .44 magnums and the .45 LC's etc. Check out the S&W Model 625 (N frame) If you want to shoot the huge stuff like the .460 Smith or the .500 Smith you're looking at X frames.

There are other brands of revolvers worth looking into. I myself have only shot Rugers and Smiths for any significant amount of shooting. I have very little trigger time behind Colt revolvers.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Well the Ruger Super Redhawk is a great double action platform for the magnums. They have some "Alaskan" versions that feature short barrels. They're going to be rather heavy pieces of hardware. You can step down to the .357 magnum or .327 Federal Magnum and get Ruger SP101s that will be comparable to the next revolver I mention.

The Smith & Wesson J-Frame are for .38 +P and/or .357 Magnum (and .38 spcl) and are the same profile as the Ruger SP101s. They're great wheelguns but they're a bit on the smaller side (like the SP101) intended for CC or lighter frame OC guns. You can step up into the full size K or LFrames if you want. (They're "medium" frames according to S&W)

For the bigger wheelguns (very heavy) the Ruger Super Redhawks and the S&W N Frames are the ticket. This is where you get into the .44 magnums and the .45 LC's etc. Check out the S&W Model 625 (N frame) If you want to shoot the huge stuff like the .460 Smith or the .500 Smith you're looking at X frames.

There are other brands of revolvers worth looking into. I myself have only shot Rugers and Smiths for any significant amount of shooting. I have very little trigger time behind Colt revolvers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to busy at the gun shop this weekend. lol

Alexcabbie

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
So I do a decent amount of hiking and a 9mm isn't going to cut it for medium-sized dangerous animals, and slinging a rifle or shotgunover my back isn't advisable around here. About the largest animal I would have to worry about would be small black bear, but those are few and far between. I've never actuallyeven seen one. More common are bobcats and coyotes, with the rare but occasional wolf. I settled on 10mm auto because I'm really not a revolver fan and when shooting at a quicklymoving target I want more than 5-6 rounds. As far as I know, the only sufficiently powerful semi-auto chambering would be 10mm, please enlighten me if I'm wrong because I'd love more options.

Anywho, thoughts and opinions? The G29 is small and light, which is exactly what I want while hiking through the woods. However, it seems awfully small for that large of a round. Anyone have personal experience? The G20 is kind of big and dumb, much bigger, dumber, and uglier than I'm looking for. Are there any other options?

I do a serious amount of hiking and a fair amount of backpacking and I normally opencarry my Glock 20 during my travels. It is full-size but not unmanageable. It is light, accurate, powerful,relatively inexpensive, it will eat anything, has a high capacity magazine at 15 rounds, has numerous options for accessories and holsters,and is a extremely reliable platform. Mine has night sights (I prefer Tru-Glo) but just about anything will do..

I am partial to Double Tap Ammunition but I also use some Buffalo Bore as well.

A Smith&wesson M629 .44 Magnum loaded with Hydra-Shoks will likely handle any critters that might interrupt your little idyll. The 629 has Hogue grips that make the recoil manaageable, and of course it accepts .44 Special loads which can do the job and will provide for faster second shot recovery especially if you are using a one-hand grip.

Flintlock

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
So I do a decent amount of hiking and a 9mm isn't going to cut it for medium-sized dangerous animals, and slinging a rifle or shotgunover my back isn't advisable around here. About the largest animal I would have to worry about would be small black bear, but those are few and far between. I've never actuallyeven seen one. More common are bobcats and coyotes, with the rare but occasional wolf. I settled on 10mm auto because I'm really not a revolver fan and when shooting at a quicklymoving target I want more than 5-6 rounds. As far as I know, the only sufficiently powerful semi-auto chambering would be 10mm, please enlighten me if I'm wrong because I'd love more options.

Anywho, thoughts and opinions? The G29 is small and light, which is exactly what I want while hiking through the woods. However, it seems awfully small for that large of a round. Anyone have personal experience? The G20 is kind of big and dumb, much bigger, dumber, and uglier than I'm looking for. Are there any other options?

I do a serious amount of hiking and a fair amount of backpacking and I normally opencarry my Glock 20 during my travels. It is full-size but not unmanageable. It is light, accurate, powerful,relatively inexpensive, it will eat anything, has a high capacity magazine at 15 rounds, has numerous options for accessories and holsters,and is a extremely reliable platform. Mine has night sights (I prefer Tru-Glo) but just about anything will do..

I am partial to Double Tap Ammunition but I also use some Buffalo Bore as well.

A Smith&wesson M629 .44 Magnum loaded with Hydra-Shoks will likely handle any critters that might interrupt your little idyll. The 629 has Hogue grips that make the recoil manaageable, and of course it accepts .44 Special loads which can do the job and will provide for faster second shot recovery especially if you are using a one-hand grip.

I don't have a problem with the .44 Magnum cartridge, but this mentioned weapon is not feasible for my activities. It weighs about 14 ounces more than my Glock and is twice the price. That's just the 4" model and is even worse when you find a Smith with thelonger barrels. Weight and"bulkiness," are a negativeandmy need for a platform that I am familiar and comfortable with are paramount.

Secondly, the Hydra-Shok is a terrible penetrator round for defense against four-legged critters. In fact, I am not sure there are too many hollow points I would trust less as I have read of some testing results of the bullet that apparently has problems getting caught up in clothing and coats, etc. on humans.Many here carry hardcast, flatpoints, etc. forwild animal defense because hollowpoints don't have the penetrating value and have a hard time piercing thick hide, muscle, fat, and bone.

Personally,I carry the Double Tap 200 grain Full Metal Jacket Soft Point that has 722 Foot Pounds of Energy at the muzzle.

I have lived in Alaska most of my life and have had numerous bear and moose encounters. The fact of the matter is that a handgun is not the best solution for defense against creatures that are over a thousand pounds. That distinction would go to a rifle and sometimes a shotgun. I carry a handgun for defense against those creatures because I don't necessarily believe in the pepper spray option and you always have to be wary of two-legged predators as well.

That being said, I hike a LOT. I spend a lot of time above 3500 feet. I am not interested in carrying a hog on my side when I am scrambling up rock scree & shale, bouldering, busting brush, and sweating profusley. Not to mention adverse weather conditions where everything always seems to be wet. I'll keeep my Glock.

Just something to consider.

smash29

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
The G20/29 SF is the best idea ever. Excessively fat grips is one of the reasons I hate Glocks. I'll have to see if anyone has one in stock I can hold.
Are you including the 9mm/.40 Glocks in the "fat grip" category too? The SF frames are definitely smaller than the standard 20/29 but they're still fatter than the 17/19/22/23 etc.

Alexcabbie

imported post

My Maggie is a 61/2" barrel version and while cast and other bullet types offer better penetration on big game, the OP is going hiking in the wilds of Connecticut where the Hydras would do jut fine for critter medicine. If I were going to where I might run into a Brown, Kodiak, Polar, or Grizzly I would definitely want to carry a more penetrating round in as hot a load as I could handle. Compared to Alaska, Connecticut is Bambiville.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

smash29 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
The G20/29 SF is the best idea ever. Excessively fat grips is one of the reasons I hate Glocks. I'll have to see if anyone has one in stock I can hold.
Are you including the 9mm/.40 Glocks in the "fat grip" category too? The SF frames are definitely smaller than the standard 20/29 but they're still fatter than the 17/19/22/23 etc.

Oh wonderful. I was indeed including them. That's why I wanted to hold before I bought. I think Glocks in general are some of the worst handling guns out there(at least for me). Thanks for the heads up.