Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Reciprocity

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    I would like to work toward better permit reciprocity in our nation.

    I can easily find out where is reciprocal with where, but I'm coming up short on how and why these decisions are made.

    Can anyone help me out with that information?



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thornton, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I think it has something to do with if the reciprocity's state laws for getting a permit are the same or harder than that states laws. I may be wrong but I can't think of a state that has reciprocity with a state who's laws are more lax for getting a permit. I wiltry to find proof one way or another.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    I think what you are looking for is in the "full faith and credit" clause of the constitution. That language requires states to honor the actions of other states in similar areas of endeavor.

    AS follows-

    http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut...articleiv.html
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    South Carolina, your registered state, has gone through typical turmoil in reciprocity/recognition AND requires 'legislative intent' be recognized in the event of questions of interpretation. SC would be a fine exemplar to understand.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    South Carolina, your registered state, has gone through typical turmoil in reciprocity/recognition AND requires 'legislative intent' be recognized in the event of questions of interpretation. SC would be a fine exemplar to understand.
    To be honest, I don't even understand what you said.

    Can you offer some suggestions on where to start on the road toward understanding?

    I'm open to learn!


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Pamiam wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    South Carolina, your registered state, has gone through typical turmoil in reciprocity/recognition AND requires 'legislative intent' be recognized in the event of questions of interpretation. SC would be a fine exemplar to understand.
    To be honest, I don't even understand what you said. Can you offer some suggestions on where to start on the road toward understanding? I'm open to learn!
    Learn to read and understand the South Carolina State Register, for instance.
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/archives/aregist.htm

    Each state's legislative process is different. SC's is a model of clarity compared to Wisconsin's.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    Pamiam,

    Most states, based on the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution I provided you, will make an agreement with one another to recognize each others permits. The agreements are usually struck between the state police departments or attorney generals offices of the two states. Usually there is a requirement that the permit requirements be substantially the same between the two states.

    In Virginia, the superintendent of the state police is responsible for establishing reciprocity agreements. It is really just a letter signed by the two states agreeing to recognize each others permits.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  8. #8
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Not sure if any links of this site will help you.

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    There is no real rhyme or reason to it so trying to understand it an exercise in futility. Each state legislature determines the basis for reciprocity and in most cases it is a compromise.

    You can consider that it falls intoseveral categories.

    1. States that accept any other states (TN for example)

    2. States that accept those from states with similar requirements (SC for example)

    3. States that accept those only from residents of those states. (FL for example)

    4. States that accept those from states that accept theirs (GA for example)

    5. States that do not recognize anyones elses.

    Why each legislature voted that way is anyones guess.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Pamiam wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    South Carolina, your registered state, has gone through typical turmoil in reciprocity/recognition AND requires 'legislative intent' be recognized in the event of questions of interpretation. SC would be a fine exemplar to understand.
    To be honest, I don't even understand what you said. Can you offer some suggestions on where to start on the road toward understanding? I'm open to learn!
    Learn to read and understand the South Carolina State Register, for instance.
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/archives/aregist.htm

    Each state's legislative process is different. SC's is a model of clarity compared to Wisconsin's.
    Thank you for the link! Reading intensive, but a great study! I see what you mean now!


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    jbone wrote:
    Not sure if any links of this site will help you.

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    I use that one. They explain where, but not how or why. Thanks for spreading the link!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Pamiam,

    In Virginia, the superintendent of the state police is responsible for establishing reciprocity agreements. It is really just a letter signed by the two states agreeing to recognize each others permits.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for - Who makes these decisions (and on what do they base them)!

    I can see the pasture, but I can't address the horse's mouth if I don't know which horse I should focus on.

    Thanks!



  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    There is no real rhyme or reason to it so trying to understand it an exercise in futility. Each state legislature determines the basis for reciprocity and in most cases it is a compromise.

    You can consider that it falls intoseveral categories.

    1. States that accept any other states (TN for example)

    2. States that accept those from states with similar requirements (SC for example)

    3. States that accept those only from residents of those states. (FL for example)

    4. States that accept those from states that accept theirs (GA for example)

    5. States that do not recognize anyones elses.

    Why each legislature voted that way is anyones guess.
    I can easily find all of those categories as well. It's the "why" and "who" that I'm searching for.


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    I have a driver's license. It was issued by my state, under the driving standards for my state. These vary from state to state. Nonetheless, I can drive into any other state in this nation and my state driver's license is recognized and honored.

    I have a CWP. It was issued by my state, under the cwp standards for my state. These vary from state to state. Nonetheless, I can drive into any other state in this nation, and wonder if it will be recognized and honored. Often I do that under personal liability risk. I need to go to the state, and I need to go there with my right to life intact.

    Right to life is an inalienable right, not some sort of political privilege.

    This is wrong. There should be no difference between the above mentioned two licenses - except for the part where driving is a privilege and right to life is an inalienable right. Our law on this is completely backward.

    We all need to work on that. Join me in this worthy endeavor. Contact your own state's law enforcement and legislators. If they won't recognize another state's cwp, they sure won't recognize a citizen of another state's right to open carry.




  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    I can tell you that part of it is likely due to differences in training requirements. Some states only require you to pass a background check, get fingerprinted, and wait for it. Others add a mandatory training period and qualification with the firearm you will carry.

    KS for example, will not typically honor permits from states that have lower training requirements than it does. It will also only honor resident permits.

    I'll try to dig up some more information for you on KS permits, as you do bring up some interesting questions.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Upstate, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Walleye wrote:
    I can tell you that part of it is likely due to differences in training requirements. Some states only require you to pass a background check, get fingerprinted, and wait for it. Others add a mandatory training period and qualification with the firearm you will carry.

    KS for example, will not typically honor permits from states that have lower training requirements than it does. It will also only honor resident permits.

    I'll try to dig up some more information for you on KS permits, as you do bring up some interesting questions.
    How is this different, or how should this be different, from my driver's license? If I turn 21 in this state with no driver training at all, I can get a license by passing an eye exam and and a state mandated driver test, and the license is good in any state in the union.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Sarcastically speaking, everyone is expert at driving and no one practices shooting in public.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    Pamiam wrote:
    Walleye wrote:
    I can tell you that part of it is likely due to differences in training requirements. Some states only require you to pass a background check, get fingerprinted, and wait for it. Others add a mandatory training period and qualification with the firearm you will carry.

    KS for example, will not typically honor permits from states that have lower training requirements than it does. It will also only honor resident permits.

    I'll try to dig up some more information for you on KS permits, as you do bring up some interesting questions.
    How is this different, or how should this be different, from my driver's license? If I turn 21 in this state with no driver training at all, I can get a license by passing an eye exam and and a state mandated driver test, and the license is good in any state in the union.
    21! When did they raise it from 16? I got my license when I was 14 but was not legal in NC or several other states. When the states get together and agree like they did with drivers license then we will have reciprocity. The agreement about honoring DL is a state not Federal decision.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

    As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  20. #20
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    2a4all wrote:
    Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

    As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
    You have some proof for that? Are you sure you are not talking about a permit to own, not a permit to carry?


    Gun laws are not driving laws and vice versa.

    Reciprocity requirements are different from state to state. You would have to search all the states requirements. In VA they require the Permit database be accessible 24/7.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Bebop wrote:
    I think it has something to do with if the reciprocity's state laws for getting a permit are the same or harder than that states laws. I may be wrong but I can't think of a state that has reciprocity with a state who's laws are more lax for getting a permit. I wiltry to find proof one way or another.
    happens all the time - take VA - honors PA permit which requires no tng; and PA honors VA even thogh VA does no dq for misdemeanor crimes of dpomestic violence.

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    2a4all wrote:
    Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

    As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
    HUH? DC issues no permit to carry at all.

  23. #23
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

    As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
    HUH? DC issues no permit to carry at all.
    Mike, you posted this.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21918.html

    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    2a4all wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

    As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
    HUH? DC issues no permit to carry at all.
    Mike, you posted this.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21918.html
    OK, and ??

  25. #25
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

    As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
    HUH? DC issues no permit to carry at all.
    Mike, you posted this.

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21918.html
    OK, and ??
    Hmm. My error. I guess it could be a big deal for a DC resident to get a non-resident carry permit from PA if they visited out of town a lot, but then there's that problem of getting your gun to/from your home and the city line....
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •