• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity

Pamiam

imported post

I would like to work toward better permit reciprocity in our nation.

I can easily find out where is reciprocal with where, but I'm coming up short on how and why these decisions are made.

Can anyone help me out with that information?

Bebop

imported post

I think it has something to do with if the reciprocity's state laws for getting a permit are the same or harder than that states laws. I may be wrong but I can't think of a state that has reciprocity with a state who's laws are more lax for getting a permit. I wiltry to find proof one way or another.

Pamiam

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
South Carolina, your registered state, has gone through typical turmoil in reciprocity/recognition AND requires 'legislative intent' be recognized in the event of questions of interpretation. SC would be a fine exemplar to understand.

To be honest, I don't even understand what you said. :(

Can you offer some suggestions on where to start on the road toward understanding?

I'm open to learn! :)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Pamiam wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
South Carolina, your registered state, has gone through typical turmoil in reciprocity/recognition AND requires 'legislative intent' be recognized in the event of questions of interpretation. SC would be a fine exemplar to understand.
To be honest, I don't even understand what you said. :( Can you offer some suggestions on where to start on the road toward understanding? I'm open to learn! :)
Learn to read and understand the South Carolina State Register, for instance.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/archives/aregist.htm

Each state's legislative process is different. SC's is a model of clarity compared to Wisconsin's.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pamiam,

Most states, based on the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution I provided you, will make an agreement with one another to recognize each others permits. The agreements are usually struck between the state police departments or attorney generals offices of the two states. Usually there is a requirement that the permit requirements be substantially the same between the two states.

In Virginia, the superintendent of the state police is responsible for establishing reciprocity agreements. It is really just a letter signed by the two states agreeing to recognize each others permits.

PT111

imported post

There is no real rhyme or reason to it so trying to understand it an exercise in futility. Each state legislature determines the basis for reciprocity and in most cases it is a compromise.

You can consider that it falls intoseveral categories.

1. States that accept any other states (TN for example)

2. States that accept those from states with similar requirements (SC for example)

3. States that accept those only from residents of those states. (FL for example)

4. States that accept those from states that accept theirs (GA for example)

5. States that do not recognize anyones elses.

Why each legislature voted that way is anyones guess.

Pamiam

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Pamiam wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
To be honest, I don't even understand what you said. :( Can you offer some suggestions on where to start on the road toward understanding? I'm open to learn! :)
Learn to read and understand the South Carolina State Register, for instance.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/archives/aregist.htm

Each state's legislative process is different. SC's is a model of clarity compared to Wisconsin's.

Thank you for the link! Reading intensive, but a great study! I see what you mean now!

Pamiam

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Pamiam,

In Virginia, the superintendent of the state police is responsible for establishing reciprocity agreements. It is really just a letter signed by the two states agreeing to recognize each others permits.

That's exactly what I'm looking for - Who makes these decisions (and on what do they base them)!

I can see the pasture, but I can't address the horse's mouth if I don't know which horse I should focus on. ;)

Thanks!

Pamiam

imported post

PT111 wrote:
There is no real rhyme or reason to it so trying to understand it an exercise in futility. Each state legislature determines the basis for reciprocity and in most cases it is a compromise.

You can consider that it falls intoseveral categories.

1. States that accept any other states (TN for example)

2. States that accept those from states with similar requirements (SC for example)

3. States that accept those only from residents of those states. (FL for example)

4. States that accept those from states that accept theirs (GA for example)

5. States that do not recognize anyones elses.

Why each legislature voted that way is anyones guess.
I can easily find all of those categories as well. It's the "why" and "who" that I'm searching for. ;)

Pamiam

imported post

I have a driver's license. It was issued by my state, under the driving standards for my state. These vary from state to state. Nonetheless, I can drive into any other state in this nation and my state driver's license is recognized and honored.

I have a CWP. It was issued by my state, under the cwp standards for my state. These vary from state to state. Nonetheless, I can drive into any other state in this nation, and wonder if it will be recognized and honored. Often I do that under personal liability risk. I need to go to the state, and I need to go there with my right to life intact.

Right to life is an inalienable right, not some sort of political privilege.

This is wrong. There should be no difference between the above mentioned two licenses - except for the part where driving is a privilege and right to life is an inalienable right. Our law on this is completely backward.

We all need to work on that. Join me in this worthy endeavor. Contact your own state's law enforcement and legislators. If they won't recognize another state's cwp, they sure won't recognize a citizen of another state's right to open carry.

Walleye

imported post

I can tell you that part of it is likely due to differences in training requirements. Some states only require you to pass a background check, get fingerprinted, and wait for it. Others add a mandatory training period and qualification with the firearm you will carry.

KS for example, will not typically honor permits from states that have lower training requirements than it does. It will also only honor resident permits.

I'll try to dig up some more information for you on KS permits, as you do bring up some interesting questions.

Pamiam

imported post

Walleye wrote:
I can tell you that part of it is likely due to differences in training requirements. Some states only require you to pass a background check, get fingerprinted, and wait for it. Others add a mandatory training period and qualification with the firearm you will carry.

KS for example, will not typically honor permits from states that have lower training requirements than it does. It will also only honor resident permits.

I'll try to dig up some more information for you on KS permits, as you do bring up some interesting questions.
How is this different, or how should this be different, from my driver's license? If I turn 21 in this state with no driver training at all, I can get a license by passing an eye exam and and a state mandated driver test, and the license is good in any state in the union.

PT111

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
Walleye wrote:

How is this different, or how should this be different, from my driver's license? If I turn 21 in this state with no driver training at all, I can get a license by passing an eye exam and and a state mandated driver test, and the license is good in any state in the union.
21! When did they raise it from 16? I got my license when I was 14 but was not legal in NC or several other states. When the states get together and agree like they did with drivers license then we will have reciprocity. The agreement about honoring DL is a state not Federal decision.

2a4all

imported post

Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.

VAopencarry

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
You have some proof for that? Are you sure you are not talking about a permit to own, not a permit to carry?

Gun laws are not driving laws and vice versa.

Reciprocity requirements are different from state to state. You would have to search all the states requirements. In VA they require the Permit database be accessible 24/7.