• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bebop wrote:
I think it has something to do with if the reciprocity's state laws for getting a permit are the same or harder than that states laws. I may be wrong but I can't think of a state that has reciprocity with a state who's laws are more lax for getting a permit. I wiltry to find proof one way or another.
happens all the time - take VA - honors PA permit which requires no tng; and PA honors VA even thogh VA does no dq for misdemeanor crimes of dpomestic violence.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

2a4all wrote:
Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
HUH? DC issues no permit to carry at all.

Mike

Site Co-Founder

2a4all

imported post

Mike wrote:
2a4all wrote:
Mike wrote:
2a4all wrote:
Any speculation on when VA & DC will extend reciprocity to each other?

As DC has established permits-by-mail for its residents, it would seem that reciprocity is a logical next step.
HUH? DC issues no permit to carry at all.
Mike, you posted this.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21918.html
OK, and ??
Hmm. My error. I guess it could be a big deal for a DC resident to get a non-resident carry permit from PA if they visited out of town a lot, but then there's that problem of getting your gun to/from your home and the city line....:cry:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

2a4all wrote:
I guess it could be a big deal for a DC resident to get a non-resident carry permit from PA if they visited out of town a lot, but then there's that problem of getting your gun to/from your home and the city line....:cry:
no, not only does FOPA cover them, but DC statutes allow transport - see the new DC bills.

Walleye

imported post

Pamiam wrote

How is this different, or how should this be different, from my driver's license? If I turn 21 in this state with no driver training at all, I can get a license by passing an eye exam and and a state mandated driver test, and the license is good in any state in the union.
I'm not sure, but I believe almost every state has similar requirements for getting a drivers license. The requirement you listed is the same in KS - eye exam, state driver test, and done.

In KS, to get a LTCCF requires passing an 8 hour course with firearm qualifications, background checks by both the local sheriff/police department and the KS attorney general, and then a mandatory waiting period (about 60 days) before you are approved/denied.

KS recognizes only 22 out of state permits:

Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado
Florida Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska
Nevada New Jersey New Mexico North Carolina
Ohio Oklahoma South Carolina Tennessee
Texas West Virginia

I presume the reason is due to similar training and licensing requirements.

TatankaGap

imported post

Check out HR 197 and S 371 - national reciprocity - you can contact your Reps and Senators and tell them to co-sponsor - then if you hold a permit in your home state, you get reciprocity as long as you comply with the laws applicable to permit holders in the state you are visiting.