• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newport News Concealed Carry Permit

ravonaf

imported post

I'm getting ready to apply for my CCP in Newport News. Do I have to go to a separate place first to get finger printed? Or just go to the Court House and everything is done there? I've already taken a class I just need to get down there and apply.

my-name-is-john

imported post

IIRC for some reason I had to go twice downtown. First you have to file your paperwork, and pay the fee ($10?) Thenyou wait a couple days while theyrun the background check and they 'schedule' your fingerprinting on a later date.

It's wasall done at the courthouse downtown though, at least it was three years ago. They've now moved some services to city center at oyster point.

bottom line, I'd call ahead.

2a4all

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
I'm getting ready to apply for my CCP in Newport News. Do I have to go to a separate place first to get finger printed? Or just go to the Court House and everything is done there? I've already taken a class I just need to get down there and apply.
When I applied (Mar '08), I called the clerk to ask about the procedure.

I downloaded the CHP application from the VASP web site, and filed it out except for the "oath" part. I took the application and my training certificate to the courthouse (clerk's office), completed the application, paid the fee ($50.00), and was given a letter (from the Chief of Police) that instructed me how to go about getting fingerprints taken. I took the letter to Police HQ, whrer I was printed. Then I went home to wait for my permit, which came in the mail about 10 days later.

Did it all in one day.