• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Rights

Rob_B

imported post

Folks,

I realize this is a little off topic for the opencarry.org forums, but constitutional rights are paramount to our right to carry. As you may have noticed, several states are considering legislation demanding the rights guaranteed them under the tenth amendment, and ordering the Federal Government to cease from any further infringements of states or citizens rights. Texas hasn't been one of them, but it seems it is coming. Below is an e-mail I wrote to my representative and senator, followed by the Rep's reply. We need to support this, as a similar bill passing in texas would send a clear message to the Federal Government that Texans value their constitutional rights and the Federal government must operate within the bounds placed on it in the constitution. Properly implimented, this has far reaching implications, including federal meddling with 2A rights, freedom of the press (Fairness Doctrine?), legislation from the bench, and many other issues. Write your senators and representatives, and urge them to support this. Feel free to use my original text, if you like.

Stay safe,
Rob

--------- E-mail chain follows--------

Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for the e-mail. Rep. Riddle told me last week that Rep. Berman is going to file the bill and she will co-author it. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concernso n this or any other issue! Our door is always open to you.

Jon English
Chief of Staff
State Representative Debbie Riddle
phone: (512)-463-0572
fax: (512-463-1908
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768-2910
jon.english@house.state.tx.us

[align=center] [/align] From:
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:46 PM
To: District150 Riddle
Subject: US Constitution

Name:
Address:
City: Spring
State: TX
Zipcode: 77388
Phone:
E-mail:

I would like to direct your attention to the following bills recently introduced in several other state legislatures:

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0246.htm
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(wn1rpuqkwkzle145cc3xui55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2009-HCR-0004
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/93-94/bill/sen/sb_0001-0050/sjr_44_bill_940829_chaptered
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/1995_96/leg/fulltext/sr308.htm
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HCR0006.html
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2009&bill=4009
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebApplication2/WebForm1.aspx?Bill=HJR1003
http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills091/biltxt/intro/HCR0013I.htm
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/1r/bills/hcr2024p.htm

It is apparent that the people of the above states have had enough of the federal government gradually eroding not only state's rights, but individual liberty. That attitude is also quite prevalent here in the State of Texas. I proudly served this nation for four years, but I am sad to see what she is becoming. This country is a far cry from what our founding fathers had in mind when they penned the Constitution. The states have an opportunity to make a powerful statement on the matter by reclaiming the constitutional authority granted them by the ninth and tenth amendments of the US Constitution.

I urge you, as my representative, to author, sponsor, and/or support a similar piece of legislation in our own great state. I urge you, as my representative, to stand against the Federal Government's constant erosion of the rights of the states and individual. The federal government has consistently overstepped its constitutional authority, unchecked. The states have not only the constitutional right, but also the responsibility to their citizens, to hold the federal government accountable to the constitution.

Thank you for taking the time to read my e-mail, and I await your response.

Best Regards,
Rob

old dog

imported post

I'm beginning to be cautiously hopeful about state's rights regarding certain social issues -- i.e. immigration, guns etc. It's past time that Americans reclaim their basic rights. It is unacceptable for a handful of wetback-ridden cities to control the destinies of millions of real Americans.

The nullification fight of the 1830s comes to mind, but this time we'll handle it smarter.

Rob_B

imported post

While I'm sure your intentions are good, we'll gain no ground by including racial slurs in our arguments. Keep it civil; if we throw around epithets like that the liberals will dismiss us as a bunch of backwards rednecks. And remember, there are plenty of Mexican immigrants who followed the process and entered this country legally, and have become productive members of society. Simply put, that kind of language is counterproductive.

If you believe in what is happening; if you believe in the restoration and maintenance of ALL of our constitutional rights, call or write your legislators and let your voice be heard.

old dog

imported post

Sorry, I hit the wrong key. A soupcon of other cultures is a good thing but the kind of person who is sneaking across the river is not the sort we want or need. Check crime stats. The worthwhile Latinos aren't that desperate to emigrate and we already have more of society's checks than we can afford. A minimum-wage hamburger flipper can walk into traffic and cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands.

Yes, I said wetbacks. If this be racism make the most of it.

Rob_B

imported post

Look. I'm not an idiot, and I'm not saying that illegal aliens are not a problem. They absolutely are. I'm just saying, you're not going to get anything done about it by calling them "wetbacks." Again, that's the kind of thing that gets you dismissed by the left as a backwards redneck.

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar, they say.

old dog

imported post

I accept that you are a decently motivated person and what you say is correct on the surface. But look beyond the surface. The mere fact that some, or even most, of these people are decent and well-meaning must not obscure the truth that their cultural and political circumstances do not fit them for our world. It is not unlike the stupid politicians who throw money at sub-Saharan Africa. Unfortunately there are groups that no longer have a chance of becoming functioning societies and they should be allowed to go into the abyss of history. Can you suggest a way to make them viable members of the world socio-economic community? For god's sake, they still kill people for being shape-shifting witches. And how about the religious judge in Saudi Arabia who sentenced a pregnant woman to 100 lashes for the crime of being gang-raped? I'm sorry. I apoligize for diarrhea of the keyboard.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

old dog wrote:
Yes, I said Illegals. If this be racism make the most of it.
I understand the issues that illegal immigration is causing for our nation. I also recognize the contributions that immigrants continue to make to our nation every day.

Regardless, we are a 2nd Amendment site and Mike and I do not allow racial slurs here PERIOD. I have added it to our filter so that it is not possible to post it.

I imagine that there are ways to get around my filter but doing so will present a rebuttable presumption of wishing to be banned.

Have a great weekend.

KBCraig

imported post

Thanks for the explanation, John. I was wondering where I'd missed a racial slur (not that I care for the term "illegals" any more than what I suspect must have been the slur that now gets posted as "Illegals".)

Bottom line, immigration is not a state's rights issue. If it was, we could keep the Okies north of the river, where they belong!
:D

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

Have you actually reviewed the bills? While I support all amendments, there is a significant possibility that allowing individual states to determine guns laws may terminate our second amendment rights. The Federal Government allows us to carry weapons; let it be that way. If the Federal Government allows a state to decide the law, we run the risk of many years fighting to get our Second Amendment rights back. Before you say yes or no to any bill, make sure you read the fine print!

Rob_B

imported post

That any Act by the Congress of the United States, Executive Order of the President of the United States of America or Judicial Order by the Judicatories of the United States of America which assumes a power not delegated to the government of United States of America by the Constitution for the United States of America and which serves to diminish the liberty of the any of the several States or their citizens shall constitute a nullification of the Constitution for the United States of America by the government of the United States of America. Acts which would cause such a nullification include, but are not limited to:

I. Establishing martial law or a state of emergency within one of the States comprising the United States of America without the consent of the legislature of that State.

II. Requiring involuntary servitude, or governmental service other than a draft during a declared war, or pursuant to, or as an alternative to, incarceration after due process of law.

III. Requiring involuntary servitude or governmental service of persons under the age of 18other than pursuant to, or as an alternative to, incarceration after due process of law.

IV. Surrendering any power delegated or not delegated to any corporation or foreign government.

V. Any act regarding religion; further limitations on freedom of political speech; or further limitations on freedom of the press.

VI. Further infringements on the right to keep and bear arms including prohibitions of type or quantity of arms or ammunition; and

That should any such act of Congress become law or Executive Order or Judicial Order be put into force, all powers previously delegated to the United States of America by the Constitution for the United States shall revert to the several States individually. Any future government of the United States of America shall require ratification of three quarters of the States seeking to form a government of the United States of America and shall not be binding upon any State not seeking to form such a government.

Yeah, I've read them. See anything wrong here?

[Edited because I broke formatting]

old dog

imported post

RobB:
How could anything be clearer? I don't see how even the wordsmiths surrounding the Dear Leader can get by this. Of course they have a supine judiciary to interpret TRUE meanings so anything's possible.

The Founders pledged their lives, their fortunes, their sacred honor. Dare we do less?

NULLIFICATION IS AN IDEA WHOSE TIME HAS COME!