• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good b uy, look for them.

Trigger Dr

imported post

FYI guys.....
Currently an Antique (receiver built before 1899 ) is not considered a firearm & does not require a FFL to purchase.
Should things go south soon in regards to gun laws, Registration etc., I thought that I would mention that for about $300 a guy can buy an Antique Finn M39 (7.62X54- ballistics between .308 & .30-06) that will hold about 2 Moa with the iron bbl sights @ 1000 yds. Solid, rugged rifle, usually rebarreled '41-'45- Sako, Valmet, with 5 rd. fixed mag. (loads quickly with strippers).
There are other models of guns out there that that could also qualify, but usually not as good in this price range... it was originaly a BP cartridge, but is still the standard for Russian snipers.. Four-five years from now, it might have been the best gun buy that I have ever made

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yah, the M39's are good guns. I had one, and sold it as I did not like the sights, but YMMV.

The 7.62x54r was never designed as a blackpowder cartridge, and was smokeless from the get go.

Trigger Dr

imported post

You are correct Steve...I had just finished a post on another forum re BP guns and had a brain cramp

BobR

imported post

Quite a fewof the MN's are built on antique receivers, the date is usually on the underside of the receiver tang. You have to take it out of the stock to see it.

bob

heresolong

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
FYI guys.....
Currently an Antique (receiver built before 1899 ) is not considered a firearm & does not require a FFL to purchase.

Antique Finn M39 (7.62X54-
M39 - so-designated because it was introduced in 1939. How does this qualify?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

heresolong wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
FYI guys.....

Antique Finn M39 (7.62X54-
Because they were built on captured Russian rifles. Many of which were built between 1891 and 1898, thus making them antique receivers. Of course many, many more are not antique receivers, but there are still plenty of antique receiver M39's out there if you go looking for one. Mine wasn't even advertised as antique, and when I got it home, I found it had an 1897 receiver.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Steve,

Were you aware that a huge amount of those were made by...Remington...for the Russians?

BobR

imported post

Quite a fewof the MN's are built on antique receivers, the date is usually on the underside of the receiver tang. You have to take it out of the stock to see it.

The receiver is what makes it a gun. All of that other add on stuff just makes it work. Just ask the BATFE.

bob

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Steve,

Were you aware that a huge amount of those were made by...Remington...for the Russians?
Yes, and also by New England Westinghouse.

When the Russians defaulted on the contract, the US government purchased the remaining inventory and used them for training guns. Some actually made it overseas with GI's, although it does not seem they used the rifles in combat.

Bannerman sold surplus US made M91's for some time, and also made an (unsafe to use) conversion to .30-06. Commercially made 7.62x54r was available in the 1920's for these rifles.

More information at http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/US-Mosin-Nagants.asp