• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns for roses?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.theolympian.com/breakingnews/story/758861.html
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Police in South Carolina are giving out roses on Valentine's Day. All you have to do is turn in a gun Authorities are running the "Guns for Roses" program Saturday at two locations in the central part of the state.
Anyone who turns in a gun gets a free rose and an electronics store gift card. A handgun gets a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun nets a $50 gift card.
Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan says there has already been a great turnout at one Columbia location and deputies have seized about 75 guns in the first 90 minutes.
He says there is no amnesty for gun owners. The weapons are checked to see if they are stolen and ballistics test will also be done.
What is going on out there?!

Custodian

imported post

So let me get this straight...

During a time when we are going to see a serious drop in Public Safety services, police, law enforcement, corrections, probation and parole...

People are stupid enough to give away their guns?! They could at least donate them to OPENCARRY.ORG!

That's a cause!

Wonderer

imported post

this was sent to me in an email

We had talked yesterday about just how someone would surrender their guns. AJC had an article Feb 15 about such an event. Columbia and Sumner, South Carolina police gave away a roses on Valentine's Day. Anyone turning in a gun got a rose and a Best Buy gift card ($100 for hand gun and $50 for long gun). They collected 223 guns.

my thought? are they nuts???

checking in from PA's gun and bible belt

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Wonder what they would do if you first ran a file down the barrel in front of them
before handing it over.:cool:
Just exercising my 5th amendment now pay up.

Would love to know what sort of idiots turn in anything other than a $50
sat night special, for a measly $100 and hope they don't go to jail.

Of course we could be reading to much into this, maybe the police are just
trying to get some throw away pieces for the normal line of duty stuff.
$100 is pretty cheap to set up the dead guy and not get charged.
Saves the tax payer in legal costs and settlments, they are such good people.